Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Feb 12, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #18,511 of 18,851
Yeah, these are obviously the best quality options on paper (bitrate, etc.). Whether it's audible to you (or me) is certainly debatable, of course.

I'm not sure what the AirPort Express brings to the table as it's Airplay 16/44.1 which the Poly already supports.
It’s the price tbh. Second hand AirPort Express is only £30

Feb 12, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #18,512 of 18,851
Feb 12, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #18,513 of 18,851
It’s the price tbh. Second hand AirPort Express is only £30

I use an airport express as a wireless endpoint to my Pi. It's a solid device. However, the Poly is significantly more portable and flexible. It's really comparing apples and watermelons.

Feb 15, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #18,514 of 18,851
Just a quick sense check...if I have a Mojo 2 and buy an Airport Express Gen 2 (£30 used), will I then be able to Airplay to the AE, connect it's Optical to the Mojo and then analogue out to a power amp and end up with the same quality as I would have if I'd bought a Poly?
It's to enable me to physically disconnect my laptop from the system but still get uncompressed 16/44.1 quality into the power amp using the Mojo 2 as a DAC.
Obviously not as tidy as a Mojo/Poly but 1/10th of the cost

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 10:49 AM Post #18,515 of 18,851
Just a quick sense check...if I have a Mojo 2 and buy an Airport Express Gen 2 (£30 used), will I then be able to Airplay to the AE, connect it's Optical to the Mojo and then analogue out to a power amp and end up with the same quality as I would have if I'd bought a Poly?
It's to enable me to physically disconnect my laptop from the system but still get uncompressed 16/44.1 quality into the power amp using the Mojo 2 as a DAC.

Theoretically yes up to CD quality the AE and poly should be sonically similar when using Airplay. Keep in mind that Airplay in itself is not a "bitperfect" wireless protocol. It resamples to 16/48. Whether this is sonically evident to you, only you can decide.

However, it is generally recognized that the poly has better SQ with the Mojo2. Whether you will hear the difference is debatable. If you don't want to buy a poly, there are multiple other options that are cheaper that accomplish its functions. The other options won't be as seamless or compact as the poly, but they will function adequately.

I'm sure whatever solution you end up with will be perfectly fine for your preferences. It's not worth the financial stress to buy a poly unless you have the discretionary funds to do so.

Feb 15, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #18,516 of 18,851
Theoretically yes up to CD quality the AE and poly should be sonically similar when using Airplay. Keep in mind that Airplay in itself is not a "bitperfect" wireless protocol. It resamples to 16/48. Whether this is sonically evident to you, only you can decide.

However, it is generally recognized that the poly has better SQ with the Mojo2. Whether you will hear the difference is debatable. If you don't want to buy a poly, there are multiple other options that are cheaper that accomplish its functions. The other options won't be as seamless or compact as the poly, but they will function adequately.

I'm sure whatever solution you end up with will be perfectly fine for your preferences. It's not worth the financial stress to buy a poly unless you have the discretionary funds to do so.
I think you're probably right. tbh I'll probably end up buying the Poly but just to see how it all works and sounds, an initial cheaper option might be a good stepping stone. I'll keep the AE as a backup for one I'm already using to send music upstairs anyway.
I've tested the theory with the existing AE and yes, all files come into into the Mojo 2 as 44.1KHz which, as you say, will probably be absolutely fine.
Thanks

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #18,517 of 18,851
If you want to use Mojo2 for your desktop I can recommend you SMSL SD-9 network player/streamer. It has very good DDC and it's Airplay streamer, also 2 USB ports that you can use with Mojo2: one USB for data, another for power.
Airport Express most likely would have very bad Optical out, you don't want that.

Feb 15, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #18,518 of 18,851
I think you're probably right. tbh I'll probably end up buying the Poly but just to see how it all works and sounds, an initial cheaper option might be a good stepping stone. I'll keep the AE as a backup for one I'm already using to send music upstairs anyway.
I've tested the theory with the existing AE and yes, all files come into into the Mojo 2 as 44.1KHz which, as you say, will probably be absolutely fine.
Thanks

Many people use the Hiby R3 (Pro, etc) as a Mojo source. It supports Airplay and LDAC bluetooth, as well as its' normal sd card player and streamer functions (Qobuz and Tidal).

Feb 15, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #18,519 of 18,851
If you want to use Mojo2 for your desktop I can recommend you SMSL SD-9 network player/streamer. It has very good DDC and it's Airplay streamer, also 2 USB ports that you can use with Mojo2: one USB for data, another for power.
Airport Express most likely would have very bad Optical out, you don't want that.

AE actually has a very good optical output. Very low jitter. Apple did well with this device.

Feb 15, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #18,520 of 18,851
Another very affordable option would be RPi with RopieeeXL or Volumio.
AE actually has a very good optical output. Very low jitter. Apple did well with this device.
Not like on Macmini?

Feb 15, 2024 at 8:11 PM Post #18,521 of 18,851
Feb 18, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #18,522 of 18,851
I see that Poly firmware is now up to v3.2.1, but on my Go Figure app it says I'm on 3.0.0 and it is up to date. does anyone have an idea why mine says it's up to date when it isn't?

Feb 18, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #18,524 of 18,851
What version of GoFigure do you have installed?
According to the General Settings page on Go Figure, it says App Version is 003.000.010, but on the What's New page on the Play store, it says, V1.2.133. Can't see any other versions anywhere else.

Feb 18, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #18,525 of 18,851
According to the General Settings page on Go Figure, it says App Version is 003.000.010, but on the What's New page on the Play store, it says, V1.2.133. Can't see any other versions anywhere else.
There is an inconsistency between the latest version reported on the Chord site and the one actually available from PlayStore.

Some time ago I also had the same problem as you when installing version V1.2.133, instead of version 003.000.010 present on the PlayStore, in reality I don't remember how I managed to install version V1.2.133 without the help of the PlayStore, done the fact is that this version did not allow me to view the available updates and said that the firmware version 3.0 was the latest available.

By uninstalling version V1.2.133 and installing version 003.000.010 directly from the PlayStore, the possibility to update magically appeared.

Now you are saying that you have version 003.000.010 installed, did I understand correctly? so it's strange that you are not seeing the firmware update. Try uninstalling and reinstalling it from PlayStore, a user had solved it this way in a previous post:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...n-1st-page-◄★☆.831347/page-1220#post-17845935

Users who are viewing this thread

Back