Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Dec 4, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #15,736 of 18,835
The Poly doesn't its own power switch, so it will constantly "ping" the Mojo to see if it is on. The only way I know to stop the Poly's battery drain is to physically separate it from the Mojo. It is unlikely that a firmware update would fix it.

If I'm not going to be using my MP for a few days, I always separate them.
Does disconnecting Poly from Mojo stop Poly from being “on” and checking for Mojo on state? I don’t think so.

Dec 4, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #15,737 of 18,835
Hi All,
I finally jumped on board and got a Poly to go with my Mojo after lurking around here and watching the various iterations of firmware and app functionality. I was hesitant to give one a try for a while due to the complaints about glitchiness, etc. But after seeing 2.0 firmware and some updates to GoFigure, I got one last week.
First Impressions:
Initial setup with Gofigure was a breeze, and my first task of getting it set up as a Roon endpoint on my home network was also glitch free.

The next stage of being able to use it for other services, namely Airplay in my case, was a bit glitchier. I think mainly this has something to do with connecting to the hotspot on my iphone SE being unreliable. The poly would seem to drop that connection frequently. This was going to be a problem for mobile use, so I decided to try Poly's hotspot mode. That worked very reliably for playing local files on my iphone via airplay to the Poly, but of course the default setup left the phone with no internet connectivity.

I found a video on Youtube descibing Poly hybrid hotspot mode, where you change the settings on the iPhone to do manual address configuration and leave the routing IP blank. That has worked well for the last couple days while on the go. Allowing me to use the phone as normal, and having good connectivity to the Poly.

The last task was to get my whole library on an SD card and be able to play that. This was the least intuitive part of the process. I'd gathered from some searching that Glider might be the best app for this, so I purchased that, and then I loaded the sd card into the Poly. It looked like it was indexing both by the status lights and looking in GoFigure.
After some waiting, I launched Glider, and looked for something to show up. Here there may have been some glitch again with iphone hotspot mode, so the difficulty initially may be from that. Another thing that was weird though, was that sometimes there were two network sources that appeared in Glider. One was simply called "Poly" and the other was called "MPD Player @ 192.168.1.1" But then sometimes only one of them would show up.
Also, there appear to be two output choices named "Poly" you can choose from when playing. One has a picture that looks like a Poly, and the other looks like a phone. Choosing the one that looks like a phone results in sound to the headphones, but the other does not. Also, it seems intermittent that the sampling frequency for hires tracks is correct. Sometimes they show the proper color, but other times, they just stick at 44 kHz (by the light on the Mojo)
Finally, I can't seem to figure out how one might make the playlists created in Glider sync to the SD card for use within the GoFigure app, or if that's even something I'd want to do.

So all in all, it's a cool device that certainly beats running a cck cable from the phone and having RF noise when they're strapped together, but I still think there could be some improvements, especially with regards to playback from the SD card. Any tips that anyone can offer which I've not figured out from skimming this forum would be appreciated.
Update: I've pretty much settled on using Poly hotspot mode in "hybrid" mode for most everything (unless I'm at home and want to use the Poly for Roon)
Although the ability for my Poly to connect to my iPhone's personal hotspot worked somewhat at first, though was sketchy, now the Poly no longer sees my iPhone hotspot at all (even though I can connect to it from any other device). So with Poly in hotspot mode, and the routing address left blank in the network config, I can do pretty much whatever I want on the go. I use Airplay for my Spotify or Apple Music stuff, and use Glider for everything on the SD card. I'm going to stop fussing with it and use it this way until something breaks and/or there's a big update again. Even with the somewhat tricky setup for some stuff, it sure beats strapping the mojo to my phone, or strapping it to a separate DAP.
Thanks to all on the forum for the tips and tricks!

Dec 4, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #15,738 of 18,835
Update: I've pretty much settled on using Poly hotspot mode in "hybrid" mode for most everything (unless I'm at home and want to use the Poly for Roon)
Although the ability for my Poly to connect to my iPhone's personal hotspot worked somewhat at first, though was sketchy, now the Poly no longer sees my iPhone hotspot at all (even though I can connect to it from any other device). So with Poly in hotspot mode, and the routing address left blank in the network config, I can do pretty much whatever I want on the go. I use Airplay for my Spotify or Apple Music stuff, and use Glider for everything on the SD card. I'm going to stop fussing with it and use it this way until something breaks and/or there's a big update again. Even with the somewhat tricky setup for some stuff, it sure beats strapping the mojo to my phone, or strapping it to a separate DAP.
Thanks to all on the forum for the tips and tricks!
You can do that because it works well and is the most reliable. But, the sound quality isn't that great. USB sounds better. To get the best sound, you need to use wifi and poly as renderer with a DNLA app like mconnect. I couldn't get the poly to work with my iPhone hotspot either. That would be the best solution. Now, given the sound quality difference, I am thinking seriously about putting music on SD card even though I said I wouldn't.

Dec 4, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #15,739 of 18,835
You can do that because it works well and is the most reliable. But, the sound quality isn't that great. USB sounds better. To get the best sound, you need to use wifi and poly as renderer with a DNLA app like mconnect. I couldn't get the poly to work with my iPhone hotspot either. That would be the best solution. Now, given the sound quality difference, I am thinking seriously about putting music on SD card even though I said I wouldn't.
Yeah the airplay is just for the Spotify streaming stuff which is all 320 kbps ogg before it’s put into airplay anyway.

for my main library (portable copy of my Roon library) that is indeed on the sd card and doesn’t use airplay when I use Glider. And the higher res files play as such. Not that I’d hear any difference at 88,96,or 192 anyway, but the mojo light changes color so it makes me feel like a true audiophile when that light turns green or blue... :wink:

Dec 4, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #15,740 of 18,835
Yeah the airplay is just for the Spotify streaming stuff which is all 320 kbps ogg before it’s put into airplay anyway.

for my main library (portable copy of my Roon library) that is indeed on the sd card and doesn’t use airplay when I use Glider. And the higher res files play as such. Not that I’d hear any difference at 88,96,or 192 anyway, but the mojo light changes color so it makes me feel like a true audiophile when that light turns green or blue... :wink:
My original idea was to stream Tidal to the poly to get high quality sound. It works when I have a strong wifi signal. However, when I am outside walking, I am stuck with LTE. LTE is already insufficient for Tidal streaming of master quality tracks. It clips a lot. So, I end up putting my phone in offline mode anyway. So, if I want hi res listening while walking or in the car, I need to put music on an SD card. Very disappointing, but until we get ubiquitous 5G where download speed is high everywhere, this is where we are.

Dec 4, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #15,741 of 18,835
My original idea was to stream Tidal to the poly to get high quality sound. It works when I have a strong wifi signal. However, when I am outside walking, I am stuck with LTE. LTE is already insufficient for Tidal streaming of master quality tracks. It clips a lot. So, I end up putting my phone in offline mode anyway. So, if I want hi res listening while walking or in the car, I need to put music on an SD card. Very disappointing, but until we get ubiquitous 5G where download speed is high everywhere, this is where we are.
I think it is not solely related to download speed, but also Tidal DRM, which none of us can influence. :slight_frown:

Dec 4, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #15,742 of 18,835
I'm lucky I guess that I can't distinguish 320 kbps lossy from lossless tracks, so Spotify does it for me on streaming. since airplay is lossless on wifi at 44 kHz for music it shouldn't degrade the spotify signal any further. Hard for me to justify going to another streaming service, when the rest of my family is using it, and we all get our own accounts for $15/month total. Would be nice if it interfaced with Roon and had lossless option, but otherwise it's fine. Well except for the albums they don't have... thus the ripped CDs in my apple library and sd card

Dec 5, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #15,743 of 18,835
For MaximumMPD there seems to be a way to configure it to read directly from the microSD card over http, but maybe that needs an MPD firmware update too as I can’t get it working properly (or you know, maybe I’m just not doing it properly :wink: )
975B3A52-9788-414F-9D24-D4B87DAEA1E8.png
I'm the MaximumMPD author and also a Mojo/Poly owner. The Album Art HTTP support requires a separate HTTP server running with access to all the album art files. It can be the same server that MPD is running on or a completely separate one (I added an HTTP Host property recently to enable this).

In the case of Mojo/Poly this will not work unless you setup the HTTP server on a separate machine. Also native MPD Album Art will not work as Chord STILL has not upgraded the version of MPD they use (0.20) The latest MPD is now version 0.22.

On a potential bright note I'm looking into adding some UPnP support and (I think) this would enable Album Art to be retrieved from the Polys UPnP server. It sounds like this is how Glider does it.

Dec 5, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #15,744 of 18,835
I'm lucky I guess that I can't distinguish 320 kbps lossy from lossless tracks, so Spotify does it for me on streaming. since airplay is lossless on wifi at 44 kHz for music it shouldn't degrade the spotify signal any further. Hard for me to justify going to another streaming service, when the rest of my family is using it, and we all get our own accounts for $15/month total. Would be nice if it interfaced with Roon and had lossless option, but otherwise it's fine. Well except for the albums they don't have... thus the ripped CDs in my apple library and sd card
I had that dilemma. We have a Spotify family plan and my whole family uses it. I actually prefer Spotify's music discover feature to Tidals. But, when Best Buy came out with its $99 annual plan special, I had to add it. So, I have both. We also have a YouTube Premium subscription because my family are also huge YouTube users. I don't use YouTube Music, but it seems good on the surface. Anyway, I find Tidal's sound quality better than Spotifies so I use it. I am just highly annoyed at the data buffering that occurs when I am driving or walking around.

Dec 6, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #15,745 of 18,835
I'm the MaximumMPD author and also a Mojo/Poly owner. The Album Art HTTP support requires a separate HTTP server running with access to all the album art files. It can be the same server that MPD is running on or a completely separate one (I added an HTTP Host property recently to enable this).

In the case of Mojo/Poly this will not work unless you setup the HTTP server on a separate machine. Also native MPD Album Art will not work as Chord STILL has not upgraded the version of MPD they use (0.20) The latest MPD is now version 0.22.

On a potential bright note I'm looking into adding some UPnP support and (I think) this would enable Album Art to be retrieved from the Polys UPnP server. It sounds like this is how Glider does it.
Ah right, thanks for the explanation. And huge thanks for the app too! Seriously there should be some charge, or a pay if you want scheme for it - it's snappier and faster than both Glider and Rigelian IMHO

Dec 6, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #15,746 of 18,835
Except Poly can't play gaplessly under DNLA, which I find so utterly annoying. The best solution I've found is to stick to MPD usage off the SD card, eg M.A.L.P, MaximumMPD etc

Dec 7, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #15,747 of 18,835

Thank you for the app!

It sure solved my problem with MPD playlists.
Now I can make these straight from this app and use them in the Gofigure app.

And it's very usable, more than mconnect which has playback problems and does not always play my music from the micro sd.

Dec 7, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #15,748 of 18,835

Great stuff! Oh for an Android version.. I dearly love MALP but the idea of using uPnP for artwork retrieval is so smart.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #15,749 of 18,835
Great stuff! Oh for an Android version.. I dearly love MALP but the idea of using uPnP for artwork retrieval is so smart.
The framework I use to build enables cross platform support. Up until recently I have had a Android version in parallel with an iOS version. I just haven't released to the Android App Store, mainly because the performance isn't as good as the iOS version and also because MALP exists already.

If I'm enable to add UPnP, at least for Album Art, I can attempt a resync and go from there with perhap an Android App Store release

Dec 8, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #15,750 of 18,835
The framework I use to build enables cross platform support. Up until recently I have had a Android version in parallel with an iOS version. I just haven't released to the Android App Store, mainly because the performance isn't as good as the iOS version and also because MALP exists already.

If I'm enable to add UPnP, at least for Album Art, I can attempt a resync and go from there with perhap an Android App Store release
That would be great! Fingers crossed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back