Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Nov 30, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #15,706 of 19,006
Hi All,
I finally jumped on board and got a Poly to go with my Mojo after lurking around here and watching the various iterations of firmware and app functionality. I was hesitant to give one a try for a while due to the complaints about glitchiness, etc. But after seeing 2.0 firmware and some updates to GoFigure, I got one last week.
First Impressions:
Initial setup with Gofigure was a breeze, and my first task of getting it set up as a Roon endpoint on my home network was also glitch free.

The next stage of being able to use it for other services, namely Airplay in my case, was a bit glitchier. I think mainly this has something to do with connecting to the hotspot on my iphone SE being unreliable. The poly would seem to drop that connection frequently. This was going to be a problem for mobile use, so I decided to try Poly's hotspot mode. That worked very reliably for playing local files on my iphone via airplay to the Poly, but of course the default setup left the phone with no internet connectivity.

I found a video on Youtube descibing Poly hybrid hotspot mode, where you change the settings on the iPhone to do manual address configuration and leave the routing IP blank. That has worked well for the last couple days while on the go. Allowing me to use the phone as normal, and having good connectivity to the Poly.

The last task was to get my whole library on an SD card and be able to play that. This was the least intuitive part of the process. I'd gathered from some searching that Glider might be the best app for this, so I purchased that, and then I loaded the sd card into the Poly. It looked like it was indexing both by the status lights and looking in GoFigure.
After some waiting, I launched Glider, and looked for something to show up. Here there may have been some glitch again with iphone hotspot mode, so the difficulty initially may be from that. Another thing that was weird though, was that sometimes there were two network sources that appeared in Glider. One was simply called "Poly" and the other was called "MPD Player @ 192.168.1.1" But then sometimes only one of them would show up.
Also, there appear to be two output choices named "Poly" you can choose from when playing. One has a picture that looks like a Poly, and the other looks like a phone. Choosing the one that looks like a phone results in sound to the headphones, but the other does not. Also, it seems intermittent that the sampling frequency for hires tracks is correct. Sometimes they show the proper color, but other times, they just stick at 44 kHz (by the light on the Mojo)
Finally, I can't seem to figure out how one might make the playlists created in Glider sync to the SD card for use within the GoFigure app, or if that's even something I'd want to do.

So all in all, it's a cool device that certainly beats running a cck cable from the phone and having RF noise when they're strapped together, but I still think there could be some improvements, especially with regards to playback from the SD card. Any tips that anyone can offer which I've not figured out from skimming this forum would be appreciated.
The screenshot shows Glider’s output selection menu. The first entry selects Airplay which will always show the red light on the Mojo. The second selects Poly’s MPD server. The fourth selects Poly’s UPnP server. Both will play hires. I personally find Glider temperamental and prefer to use mconnect or 8Player for UPnP. There are several MPD players. MaximumMPD and Rigelian are good.

EDIT: I should have said MPD renderer and UPnP renderer, not server.

11215778.png

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #15,707 of 19,006
I went through pretty much the same discovery process you did. I find the airplay mode playback pretty weak quality wise. It sounds great when I stream over wifi from Tidal, but I am limited to the quality of the network where I am listening to music. This means I'll probably have to download music to SD card which I have been trying to avoid.

I am starting to look into Roon because I want to use its parametric equalization. It's nice to see it was pretty straight forward to set up the poly as a Roon end point.
Yeah, I don’t have a qobuz or tidal account at this point because my family all use Spotify and I don’t want to pay for another service just for me. The airplay seems fine for that, not that there’s another choice for Spotify...
For my 15000 lossless files I’d really like the sd card mode to be a little more intuitive.
After considering what was going on with Glider described in my last post, I realized that the other output mode that showed up in glider was actually airplay. This must have been interfering with mpd. I think if I make sure to deselect airplay in another app before using Glider, that seems to work.

Nov 30, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #15,708 of 19,006
The screenshot shows Glider’s output selection menu. The first entry selects Airplay which will always show the red light on the Mojo. The second selects Poly’s MPD server. The fourth selects Poly’s UPnP server. Both will play hires. I personally find Glider temperamental and prefer to use mconnect or 8Player for UPnP. There are several MPD players. MaximumMPD and Rigelian are good.

11215778.png
Mine doesn’t seem to show a separate UPnP server and there’s only one poly output currently. I think my main issue was I was using airplay, and didn’t deselect poly as an airplay output there prior to switching to Glider
AD353BE2-3423-48F7-B5AA-22C02E41C3DC.png15893FC4-8A9B-4BBC-9978-A7AE48255654.jpg

Nov 30, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #15,709 of 19,006
Mine doesn’t seem to show a separate UPnP server and there’s only one poly output currently. I think my main issue was I was using airplay, and didn’t deselect poly as an airplay output there prior to switching to Glider
AD353BE2-3423-48F7-B5AA-22C02E41C3DC.png15893FC4-8A9B-4BBC-9978-A7AE48255654.jpg
Turn off Conolidate Ouputs in Glider’s settings. UPnP output should appear.

Nov 30, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #15,711 of 19,006
Still no luck with that. Also I’m not seeing anything appear for servers when I download 8player to try that. I rebooted the poly and no change. I could try resetting to factory setup and try again with glider and 8player
Also, weirdly, now I can’t connect to my iPhone hotspot from Gofigure at all.
It says the network is out of range even though it’s right next to it, and I have no trouble connecting to it from my laptop
D893D8F4-DD3E-4D8D-9A7F-02AC560CE41A.jpeg

Nov 30, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #15,712 of 19,006
Still no luck with that. Also I’m not seeing anything appear for servers when I download 8player to try that. I rebooted the poly and no change. I could try resetting to factory setup and try again with glider and 8player
I cannot think why Poly UPnP is not being discovered on your network. 8Player should look something like this:

8DF216DF-96D5-476D-B56F-EF98E4E6903C.png

I take it that you are on latest firmware and you have Other Services enabled in Gofigure. Off to bed now.

Nov 30, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #15,713 of 19,006
I cannot think why Poly UPnP is not being discovered on your network. 8Player should look something like this:

8DF216DF-96D5-476D-B56F-EF98E4E6903C.png

I take it that you are on latest firmware and you have Other Services enabled in Gofigure. Off to bed now.
Yeah, latest firmware, etc.
I was able to get the UPnP renderer to appear by going back to poly hotspot mode with automatic network settings. However I can’t really use that mode, since my phone will have no network that way. And since I can’t get poly to connect to my personal hotspot, using poly hotspot in so-called “hybrid” mode seems the only practical solution

Dec 1, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #15,714 of 19,006
Hi All,
I finally jumped on board and got a Poly to go with my Mojo after lurking around here and watching the various iterations of firmware and app functionality. I was hesitant to give one a try for a while due to the complaints about glitchiness, etc. But after seeing 2.0 firmware and some updates to GoFigure, I got one last week.
First Impressions:
Initial setup with Gofigure was a breeze, and my first task of getting it set up as a Roon endpoint on my home network was also glitch free.

The next stage of being able to use it for other services, namely Airplay in my case, was a bit glitchier. I think mainly this has something to do with connecting to the hotspot on my iphone SE being unreliable. The poly would seem to drop that connection frequently. This was going to be a problem for mobile use, so I decided to try Poly's hotspot mode. That worked very reliably for playing local files on my iphone via airplay to the Poly, but of course the default setup left the phone with no internet connectivity.

I found a video on Youtube descibing Poly hybrid hotspot mode, where you change the settings on the iPhone to do manual address configuration and leave the routing IP blank. That has worked well for the last couple days while on the go. Allowing me to use the phone as normal, and having good connectivity to the Poly.

The last task was to get my whole library on an SD card and be able to play that. This was the least intuitive part of the process. I'd gathered from some searching that Glider might be the best app for this, so I purchased that, and then I loaded the sd card into the Poly. It looked like it was indexing both by the status lights and looking in GoFigure.
After some waiting, I launched Glider, and looked for something to show up. Here there may have been some glitch again with iphone hotspot mode, so the difficulty initially may be from that. Another thing that was weird though, was that sometimes there were two network sources that appeared in Glider. One was simply called "Poly" and the other was called "MPD Player @ 192.168.1.1" But then sometimes only one of them would show up.
Also, there appear to be two output choices named "Poly" you can choose from when playing. One has a picture that looks like a Poly, and the other looks like a phone. Choosing the one that looks like a phone results in sound to the headphones, but the other does not. Also, it seems intermittent that the sampling frequency for hires tracks is correct. Sometimes they show the proper color, but other times, they just stick at 44 kHz (by the light on the Mojo)
Finally, I can't seem to figure out how one might make the playlists created in Glider sync to the SD card for use within the GoFigure app, or if that's even something I'd want to do.

So all in all, it's a cool device that certainly beats running a cck cable from the phone and having RF noise when they're strapped together, but I still think there could be some improvements, especially with regards to playback from the SD card. Any tips that anyone can offer which I've not figured out from skimming this forum would be appreciated.
My experiences are similar. I've found using the Poly's hotspot gives the best performance for me. When using Poly in network mode I have had the same issue of Poly not being able to connect as well, despite being close to the wi-fi source. I've usually been able to get it to connect after a few tries. It does seem to be affected by orientation a bit, and sometimes I've found turning the Poly wi-fi bluetooth glass or plastic "window" at the rear towards the wi-fi source or my phone helps.

I've tried a couple of apps for playing back off microSD card - Glider and Rigelian. I ended up using Glider, mainly because Rigelian required an ongoing (but small) cost and didn't display album art properly. I find Glider is okay, but does introduce a small audible click when switching between tracks, which I hear maybe 4 seconds before the track change and again 4 seconds after. Like you, I get multiple Poly outputs showing up in Glider like "MPD Player @ 192.168.1.1"; I have to select one of these for microSD card playback.

Glider also seems to just save playlists within the app itself and I can't find any way to transfer Glider playlists onto the microSD card. I experimented with creating playlists in Windows and transferring them onto the microSD card and controlling playback via GoFigure. It's okay but only works well for a small number of playlists - I found that if I had a large number of playlists on the microSD card then after you tap the "Music" tab in GoFigure it would take ages to load.

So yeah, I'd just thought I'd pitch in to say I've had the same issues and it's not just your unit/software. But, I haven't found any work around for any of these issues.

Dec 1, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #15,715 of 19,006
It seems the poly is a bit finnicky when it comes to connecting to networks. I had trouble connecting to a couple networks where the 2.4G and 5.0G frequencies were determined by the router and not the SSID. So, what I did was paired my Poly to a pocket router that I can always connect to if all else fails. The Poly will connect to that router or my home router with 90+ percent reliability. Not so much with other networks.

Dec 1, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #15,716 of 19,006
My experiences are similar. I've found using the Poly's hotspot gives the best performance for me. When using Poly in network mode I have had the same issue of Poly not being able to connect as well, despite being close to the wi-fi source. I've usually been able to get it to connect after a few tries. It does seem to be affected by orientation a bit, and sometimes I've found turning the Poly wi-fi bluetooth glass or plastic "window" at the rear towards the wi-fi source or my phone helps.

I've tried a couple of apps for playing back off microSD card - Glider and Rigelian. I ended up using Glider, mainly because Rigelian required an ongoing (but small) cost and didn't display album art properly. I find Glider is okay, but does introduce a small audible click when switching between tracks, which I hear maybe 4 seconds before the track change and again 4 seconds after. Like you, I get multiple Poly outputs showing up in Glider like "MPD Player @ 192.168.1.1"; I have to select one of these for microSD card playback.

Glider also seems to just save playlists within the app itself and I can't find any way to transfer Glider playlists onto the microSD card. I experimented with creating playlists in Windows and transferring them onto the microSD card and controlling playback via GoFigure. It's okay but only works well for a small number of playlists - I found that if I had a large number of playlists on the microSD card then after you tap the "Music" tab in GoFigure it would take ages to load.

So yeah, I'd just thought I'd pitch in to say I've had the same issues and it's not just your unit/software. But, I haven't found any work around for any of these issues.
MaximumMPD writes playlists to the SD card.

Dec 1, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #15,717 of 19,006
What coax cable are you using?
Any suggestions would be gratefully received, thanks
I use this, but that's because my Note 2i streamer has an RCA coax out. It sounds a bit better than the spdif optical connection to the Mojo. Why do I use a Note 2i instead of the Poly (which I also have)? It's because Poly does not support Airplay 2 (Grrr!), and I need the multi room functionality that app agnostic Airplay 2 provides.
https://www.futureshop.co.uk/chord-clearway-3-5mm-mini-jack-digital-coaxial-cable/

Dec 1, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #15,718 of 19,006
I use this, but that's because my Note 2i streamer has an RCA coax out. It sounds a bit better than the spdif optical connection to the Mojo. Why do I use a Note 2i instead of the Poly (which I also have)? It's because Poly does not support Airplay 2 (Grrr!), and I need the multi room functionality that app agnostic Airplay 2 provides.
https://www.futureshop.co.uk/chord-clearway-3-5mm-mini-jack-digital-coaxial-cable/

may as well join the rest of us who have been collectively holding our breath waiting for any further support for Poly... Promises made / Promises left unfulfilled

Dec 1, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #15,719 of 19,006
MaximumMPD writes playlists to the SD card.
Thanks for that. Hadn't heard of MaximumMPD. Just downloaded and already up and running.. seems to work well, and it's free :) I'll have to try and sort out the album art feature later.

Dec 1, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #15,720 of 19,006
Thanks for that. Hadn't heard of MaximumMPD. Just downloaded and already up and running.. seems to work well, and it's free :) I'll have to try and sort out the album art feature later.
Poly needs an update to its MPD server before any MPD player would be able to display album art fully. The reason Glider can do this is that it uses UPnP to retrieve the album art even when playing the music by MPD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back