Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Oct 19, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #15,631 of 18,778
Yeah, almost.

You’ll only get airplay to poly directly from the Tidal app. Airplay is “CD quality”. If you’re happy with this, the poly should work well. It’s the most reliable of the options from what I experienced and gathered over various threads.

If you use a direct USB to Mojo you’ll get Hires from the Tidal app. If you use dlna software like mconnect, you’ll get Hires from Tidal to Poly but not offline Tidal music. You’ll also have to learn how to use dlna app (not hard BTW).

bummer. So, the sound will not be as good as the usb dongle I am using now unless I use mconnect. Got it.

Oct 19, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #15,633 of 18,778
I know you can either purchase replacement batteries for the Chord Mojo and you can even run the Mojo without a battery as a desktop solution. I am hoping that you can do the same thing with the Poly. Even better if it uses the same battery.

I think the battery issue with the Mojo being plugged in constantly while playing is due to the heat from the FGPA and eventual battery swelling. I don’t think the poly generates much heat.

Although I don’t know anyone whose done this, you could theoretically remove the Mojo battery to solve that issue and leave the poly battery alone. I don’t know if this would work or has been done. The poly is always on at some level to sense when the mojo is turned on and to theoretically more quickly connect to WiFi. Rob Watts or Matt mentioned this in one of the various posts.

I’d be hesitant to mess with the poly.

Oct 19, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #15,634 of 18,778
I think the battery issue with the Mojo being plugged in constantly while playing is due to the heat from the FGPA and eventual battery swelling. I don’t think the poly generates much heat.

Although I don’t know anyone whose done this, you could theoretically remove the Mojo battery to solve that issue and leave the poly battery alone. I don’t know if this would work or has been done. The poly is always on at some level to sense when the mojo is turned on and to theoretically more quickly connect to WiFi. Rob Watts or Matt mentioned this in one of the various posts.

I’d be hesitant to mess with the poly.
If there is no battery problem with the poly, then this is a non-issue. I did a robust search and I could find a pervasive problem with the poly battery. I could not find a battery replacement and no diy video either. Maybe this is not an issue. My mojo gets pretty hot when charging. I do my best to use best practices with it and I know how to replace the battery if needed. I bought it with eyes wide open.

Oct 19, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #15,635 of 18,778
It depends on your view of MQA. I usually prefer the 44.1 non-MQA versions anyway.
I just want to improve the sound. I’ll buy a poly if it is not that hard to set up and I get clearly superior sound.

Oct 20, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #15,636 of 18,778
Today, I got a Bluesound Node 2i streamer for my Bottlehead Crack headphone system. It was so easy to set up and it sounds great getting rid of the iPad and its USB connection to my Modi Multibit DAC. For kicks, I used an optical cable to connect the Node 2i to my Chord Mojo. OMG, the sound improvement was unbelievable over the USB dongle connection to the Mojo. Night and day difference. If I can get that level of improvement with the Chord Poly, this is definitely something I want to do. If not, I'll just carry a Node 2i with me when I travel. The sound improvement is worth carrying the extra weight.

Oct 21, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #15,637 of 18,778
If there is no battery problem with the poly, then this is a non-issue. I did a robust search and I could find a pervasive problem with the poly battery. I could not find a battery replacement and no diy video either. Maybe this is not an issue. My mojo gets pretty hot when charging. I do my best to use best practices with it and I know how to replace the battery if needed. I bought it with eyes wide open.
My problem with poly battery is it stops charging at around 50-60% on the gofigure app poly battery level indicator. Gofigure poly battery level sometimes jumps around and seems unreliable. Poly light shows green, then within a minute of disconnecting charge cable goes orange which indicates 50% charged. I’m wondering why the poly battery never gets higher than this level. Has anyone changed their poly battery?

Oct 21, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #15,638 of 18,778
My problem with poly battery is it stops charging at around 50-60% on the gofigure app poly battery level indicator. Gofigure poly battery level sometimes jumps around and seems unreliable. Poly light shows green, then within a minute of disconnecting charge cable goes orange which indicates 50% charged. I’m wondering why the poly battery never gets higher than this level. Has anyone changed their poly battery?
Are you using some sort of smart charger, which tries to manage the level? Try a “dumb” charger like an iPad brick. I also use Anker chargers (2- and 4-port) successfully.

Oct 21, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #15,639 of 18,778
Hi there,
it s been a while since I posted here, but I followed the discussion from time to time.
I still use my Poly/Mojo combo almost every day and am still verry pleased with it. Since I upgraded my monthly data for my phone streaming on the go was not a big problem...but I know that the ability to use Tidal offline on the go is very important for many here.
So I just read about Tidal Connect which is an alternative to chromecast.
I didnt find chord mentioned as partner but still I am going to try it later today when I am home. So fingers crossed.
And if its not working now it may be working soon...so maybe we will soon be able to use our Tidal offline content on the go
Here is the article:
https://audio-head.com/tidal-connect-casting-technology-hits-the-airwaves/

Cheers

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #15,640 of 18,778
Hmm I just tried and at the moment Tidal connect doesnt work with Poly.
Also I read a little more about it and it seems like Tidal connect is bypassing the phone completly, so as I understand it it wont be usable for Offline streaming on the go anyway. It might still offer a better streaming experince in a hime szenario for people that dont use Roon.
Maybe someone from Chord can clarify if Tidal connect integration is planned and may offer offline usability after all...maybe it might work when Poly is supported and then selected as place to download offline files to?

Oct 21, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #15,641 of 18,778
Hi there,
it s been a while since I posted here, but I followed the discussion from time to time.
I still use my Poly/Mojo combo almost every day and am still verry pleased with it. Since I upgraded my monthly data for my phone streaming on the go was not a big problem...but I know that the ability to use Tidal offline on the go is very important for many here.
So I just read about Tidal Connect which is an alternative to chromecast.
I didnt find chord mentioned as partner but still I am going to try it later today when I am home. So fingers crossed.
And if its not working now it may be working soon...so maybe we will soon be able to use our Tidal offline content on the go
Here is the article:
https://audio-head.com/tidal-connect-casting-technology-hits-the-airwaves/

Cheers
I am using Tidal Connect through my Bluesound node 2i streamer. I don't see a way to download music. There is a separate BluOS app that you need to download to your iPhone to use it. I am not sure if offline mode is even possible. Since presumably the Node 2i is for a fixed location, the internet connection is fixed and reliable. So, downloading music is not necessarily required.

Given the sound improvement I achieved by steaming direction to my DAC/Amp and bypassing the laptop/smartphone/tablet, I think the architecture of Tidal Connect or Spotify Connect is the right one. Then, you can use your smartphone as a controller and not have the stream processed by it.

Oct 21, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #15,642 of 18,778
Hmm I just tried and at the moment Tidal connect doesnt work with Poly.
Also I read a little more about it and it seems like Tidal connect is bypassing the phone completly, so as I understand it it wont be usable for Offline streaming on the go anyway. It might still offer a better streaming experince in a hime szenario for people that dont use Roon.
Maybe someone from Chord can clarify if Tidal connect integration is planned and may offer offline usability after all...maybe it might work when Poly is supported and then selected as place to download offline files to?
I really hope that Chord implements Tidal Connect. The advantage is that you can use what looks very similar to the Tidal app interface. There are definitely differences in the Tidal Connect app vs the ios Tidal app, but anyone who uses Tidal will be familiar with it. Searching is still cumbersome and its not easy to favorite a song. You can't actually tell if you favorited a song. You have to just add it. But, all of your playlists are there, older searches, mixes, etc.

Oct 21, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #15,643 of 18,778
@HiFiHawaii808 Interresting to hear that you talk about sound Improvement by bypassing the phone.
I was under the impression that Tidal connect was implemented in the existing app and that there is no seperate App...see the process described here...
https://darko.audio/2020/10/tidal-connect-who-what-why/

Otherwise I agree with you that it would be great if Tidal connect would be usable with Poly, even if it wont be an alternative for chromecast for offline streaming on the go while using your phones Hotspot.

Cheers

Oct 21, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #15,644 of 18,778
Yes, your linked article confirms what I said:

How does it work?
Pull up the Tidal app, push play on some music and click the ‘available devices’ button in the bottom left: . Tidal Connect devices appear alongside Chromecast devices. Click to pair — the music stream will be moved from the smartphone to the paired device.

Unlike Apple AirPlay and Bluetooth, Tidal Connect streams do not travel through the smartphone or tablet on their way to the paired network streamer. Think: Google Chromecast stream routing.

This is an excellent implementation. It uses the smartphone as the controller and the Tidal Server in the cloud streams the music directly to the IP address of the end point without ever having to hit the smartphone. This removes the smartphone electronics from processing the signal and the sound is far superior. The Mojo/Poly has a similar implementation, but it uses a DNLA application as controller. With Tidal Connect, you use a version of the Tidal application that runs on the music streamer which is the Chord Mojo or the Bluesound Streamer. The app is developed by Tidal and therefore the user experience is similar. But, since it is built into BluOS, it can be combine with other music content which is what those who favor Roon implementations want. I don't care about any of that, so I prefer the Spotify implementation which is the streamer just receives and plays back streams. All of the intelligence is on the app in the smart phone. Once a song is selected, the Spotify server streams music directly to the Bluesound streamer. It makes it a dumb end point which is all I want.

Oct 21, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #15,645 of 18,778
Ok; just wanted to give some feedback, here. After what seemed like an eternity, and endless hours of frustration, I have succeeded in the NZ equivalent of the small claims court (Disputes Tribunal) in getting a refund for the Poly, (more than a year, after purchasing it). Technically, the outcome was eventually agreed by all parties, with no liability, but the retailer was continuing to argue throughout the hearing, that there are no significant issues with the Poly, other than it was 'difficult to set up'(!). They stated that out of all the Poly's they sold, I was the only customer who had had any complaints, (which I find hard to believe!), but they were unable to provide any evidence, either of how many units they have sold, or of any feedback, (positive or negative), they had received about the Poly.

I, on the other hand, was able to produce literally hundreds of unhappy forum posts, both here, at Head Fi, and from other sources (eg Roon forums), which ALL pointed to exactly the same problems, as I had highlighted, from day one (ie, shoddy android implementation, buggy software, failure to connect, failure to maintain connection, playback interruption, device not being visible on network, hours of repeated set-up, with random success rates, and general non-functioning). I argued that, due to these issues, the product was clearly not fit for purpose, and that Chord must already be aware of this, despite failing to ever acknowledge the above issues, publicly (as far as I am aware). I also submitted ALL of the amazon reviews, on UK and USA Amazon sites, (which I note Chord are now trying to bury, by repackaging the Poly, so the original reviews do not show up on the current product page, but can still be viewed at: )

https://www.amazon.com/Chord-Poly-W...t-reviews/B074PBNGPB?reviewerType=all_reviews

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chord-Poly...show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

I also submitted all the Gofigure reviews available, on the android Play store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...yUniversal&hl=en_US&gl=US&showAllReviews=true (with 17 x 1star reviews, vs 3 x 5 star reviews!)

It is my view, that the arbitrator of the case, was less than impressed with the apparent problems I had experienced, and seemed to accept the hundreds of pages of evidence I supplied, which proved that such problems were not unique to my case, but were, in fact, widespread. From the way the hearing went, it was pretty clear, in my mind, that her judgment, (which she stated she would reserve, in order to see if both parties could agree to settle), would find in my favour, and that the retailer concerned may incur additional liabilities, than those which were originally being considered. The retailer consequently agreed to change the way they advertise the Poly, to specifically mention that it may require significant further support, in order to use, successfully. In short, it seemed to me that I had proved my argument in the eyes of the arbitrator, that this product is simply not fit for purpose, and is advertised, and sold, under false pretences. It must have appeared this way, to the retailer, too, as they about-faced there and then, and finally agreed to a full refund, before the judgment was given. Despite the hundreds of pages I submitted, to demonstrate the widespread nature of such concerns as I had experienced with the Poly, and, despite agreeing to a full refund, the retailer, and, apparently, their Chord representative, (although they did not supply any evidence of this), continued to seem to want to deny that there are any problems at all with the Poly's/GoFigure's implementation, (or, indeed, with my specific unit), and continued to seem to want to attribute all such problems experienced, in my case, (and, by implication, all of the other complaints, to be found in relevant forums), to user error.

So, I'm finally done with it. This will be my last post here, and my genuine thanks go out, to all those who tried (unsuccessfully) to provide stable solutions, to the problems I experienced. To those whose Poly's are working, trouble-free, I genuinely wish that this remain the case; and, to those, who continue to experience networking/handshake problems, I encourage you to fight, and get your money back; its been ?3? years since the Poly was released, now, and for Chord STILL to be failing to even acknowledge, let alone fix their God-awful GoFigure software implementation, (on which the Poly very much depends, to work at all), is shocking, and shows a cynicism toward their customer base, that, in my view, says a lot, about whether you should consider giving them your money. I had nothing but good will toward Chord, following my positive experiences with the Mojo. All that good will has now gone, and I will never buy anything from them, again. Given how they seem to respond, when numerous reports of problems exist, (ie that 'we can't replicate this problem, our end', and defer to blaming the user's own networking issues, when every other networked streaming device, works, without issue), I would encourage all of you, to strongly reconsider, if you are ever tempted by any of their products.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back