Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Mar 28, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #7,966 of 18,757
Regarding Android availability, why does it have to be dependent on iOS?
The impression I had was that they didn't have enough engineers or budget to work on both at the same time, and they chose to start with iOS. If they are now only waiting for Apple, then they may have started developing Android but the work would still lag behind iOS by weeks or months.

Mar 28, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #7,967 of 18,757
The impression I had was that they didn't have enough engineers or budget to work on both at the same time, and they chose to start with iOS. If they are now only waiting for Apple, then they may have started developing Android but the work would still lag behind iOS by weeks or months.

Not even big developers do both simultaneously in most cases - they pick one platform (usually iOS) to build the code and then use tools to convert the app over because that only makes sense in terms of maintaining one clean code base. If Apple didn't give them the OK which could mean they don't actually have a good solid gold build and they start pushing out the Android version then it would completely throw the development cycle off track as you would then have back and forth of changes flowing between the two different platforms which becomes a nightmare to maintain. There's also the fact that iOS is not as fragmented as Android, you want your app to be widely deployed on a platform with less variables first to sort out actual software bugs, not to wrestle with different hardware configurations in Android land.

Mar 28, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #7,968 of 18,757
Not even big developers do both simultaneously in most cases - they pick one platform (usually iOS) to build the code and then use tools to convert the app over because that only makes sense in terms of maintaining one clean code base. If Apple didn't give them the OK which could mean they don't actually have a good solid gold build and they start pushing out the Android version then it would completely throw the development cycle off track as you would then have back and forth of changes flowing between the two different platforms which becomes a nightmare to maintain. There's also the fact that iOS is not as fragmented as Android, you want your app to be widely deployed on a platform with less variables first to sort out actual software bugs, not to wrestle with different hardware configurations in Android land.
OK, thanks for the explanation. i may have underestimated how much work this is when working on 2 platforms.

Mar 28, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #7,969 of 18,757
Gr8h8m: Maybe there is something I have missed, but from what I remember six weeks following the iOS release has been a pretty consistent message from the start. The constant nagging here is exhausting, so yeah, I have payed less and less attention to this thread (which I have followed since it's creation on an almost daily basis).

This is a reply from you to a post by John Franks when he says the Android release will follow six weeks after the iOS release:
Echoing @JMikey I'd also like to say that's great to hear John - similarly Poly/Mojo is my first purchase from Chord and was worried that Android development was being neglected.

From 15th of March:
I was told then it would take about six week more work to complete after the iOS version was complete. I Was in a meeting with the software guy and asked him if the android version would follow sooner as there had been delays to the iOS version he said because of the additional work on the iOS it would still be around six weeks. I’m not trying to make excuses but when you have iOS changing all the time there are consequences to all hardware and software products linking into it and we are not immuned.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #7,970 of 18,757
Gr8h8m: Maybe there is something I have missed, but from what I remember six weeks following the iOS release has been a pretty consistent message from the start. The constant nagging here is exhausting, so yeah, I have payed less and less attention to this thread (which I have followed since it's creation on an almost daily basis).

This is a reply from you to a post by John Franks when he says the Android release will follow six weeks after the iOS release:

From 15th of March:
The release date for any version of this app has shifted so many times that I think it was perfectly reasonable to check in with Chord again. It wasn't the only question I asked but somehow those got overlooked.
But yes, knockout, great, I'm super enthusiastic and excited that it's only a matter of a few weeks now til the Android release :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Mar 28, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #7,971 of 18,757
As I understand it (and I don’t mean to suggest that I fully understand it all at this point) is that there are two Poly modes: 1) access point mode (blue and green) and 2) network mode (solid blue). When the P indicator is flashing blue, Poly is searching for a network connection. I also understand that access point mode and hotspot mode are used interchangeably.

When I did my earlier post, the Poly was solid blue and I was able to access the internet on my iPhone with my home wifi. I switched to access point mode on my drive to work this morning and listened to the Mojo/Poly. I wonder, then, if it has to do with the home wifi versus cellular?

Two other concerns- during my drive this morning, I was listening to the Mojo/Poly in access point mode and observed some intermittent breaking up of the music that I formally experienced when streaming music to my iPhone from my NAS to JRiver MC to JRemote on my iPhone. That noise was eliminated with Glider and music on the iPhone and the Mojo connected with CCK cable. I thought that would continue to be eliminated with the Mojo/Poly. I was surprised that It is not.

Finally, I am unable to read my mSD card on the Poly. I reinserted the card, checked for available space, and all the other tips on the FAQ page. @smaragd in a PM suggested that I write to Mitch at Chord, which I did yesterday and am waiting for a reply. Last night, I did a full reformat of my mSD card (not the quick format) formatted as exFAT, copied a few music files to the card, and inserted the card into the Poly. The Poly was still unable to read the card. I did not see the disco lights when I inserted the card indicating that the Poly did not re-scan the card.

I went into Access Point Mode to check that everything was in order, and to reboot the Poly upon save. I then went into Network Mode and the card was still not present and did the same in Access Point Mode. Perhaps it’s the card, but the sample files play fine on my computer.

Thanks for any guidance. Hope to get there soon.

I think I now understand the difference between access point mode and hybrid mode as @JeremyLaurenson defines it (although I have noticed that the Poly FAQ page does use them interchangeably). Access point is used to connect the Poly to an unsecured Wi-Fi network where hotspot mode is used as Jeremy discusses here on the wiki, correct?

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #7,972 of 18,757
There are two poly modes:
1... network mode. Where it is a client
2... hotspot/access point mode

Poly Hybrid is what I call using 2 where your phone uses it’s own data connection instead of thinking poly is the way to get to the internet

This video explains it a little more:

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #7,973 of 18,757
There are two poly modes:
1... network mode. Where it is a client
2... hotspot/access point mode

Poly Hybrid is what I call using 2 where your phone uses it’s own data connection instead of thinking poly is the way to get to the internet

Got it. I was confusing hotspot and hybrid. Thanks.

Mar 28, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #7,975 of 18,757
74B9FDAC-0062-4DD1-8F5C-92932FDDED5D.jpeg
Collected new style case earlier. Love it. Fits like a glove and looks good!

Mar 28, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #7,976 of 18,757
:deadhorse:

Recommended viewing for those waiting for GoFigure.

I think we can all find it amusing, no?

I do know that is not what this forum is for, but i really appreciate this video; and for the benefit of the mods, without a little bit of levity, many more users, might hang at least this product up. On a contributing point, I tried the Hybrid mode after configuring it from Jeremy's video, and it worked very well, after i cleaned out a few rogue Polys. This forum is really great, thank you to all who contribute! Make this hobby and the enjoyment of high-end audio much more enjoyable!

Mar 28, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #7,978 of 18,757
:deadhorse:

I do know that is not what this forum is for, but i really appreciate this video; and for the benefit of the mods, without a little bit of levity, many more users, might hang at least this product up. On a contributing point, I tried the Hybrid mode after configuring it from Jeremy's video, and it worked very well, after i cleaned out a few rogue Polys. This forum is really great, thank you to all who contribute! Make this hobby and the enjoyment of high-end audio much more enjoyable!

Yes I was hoping to bring a little levity to the forum and by bringing some comedic relief to all who have been waiting "two weeks".

I hope people can find some enjoyment from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back