Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Mar 5, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #7,456 of 18,772
I charge both mojo and poly separately.

Today I was listening to music via roon and I got to the 7 hour mark, Poly had just started flickering between orange and red and Mojo was still on orange.

I could of easily got atleast 1 hour or more out of poly and possibly 2 hours out of mojo ?

Power ball was green and the sound buttons were orange if I recall, I know they were past double red.

So stated battery life would be correct, I am happy with 8 hours out of both.

I also would not leave mojo or mojo and poly on charge most of the time as per the poster above who mentions the same. I would think leaving it on charge all the time is asking for battery problems.

@Mojo ideas It would be very useful to all Poly and Mojo owners to once again (I know it's been done before) clarify whether it's ok to leave Mojo and/or Poly on a charger all the time while playing, while not playing, or just overnight every day. I have heard a lot of conflicting things about the care and feeding of Li batteries and was under the impression that Chord is using Li-polymer batteries that have different management requirements than older and more commonly used Li batteries.

I have read that an iPhone is best kept around 50% charged, not allowed to discharge below 20% and never charged above 90%. Does that apply to Mojo? Poly? Of course Chord and other manufacturers have internal control of when charging stops and starts in which case if Chord is controlling charging we needn't worry about it.

Mar 5, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #7,457 of 18,772
Mar 5, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #7,458 of 18,772
@Mojo ideas It would be very useful to all Poly and Mojo owners to once again (I know it's been done before) clarify whether it's ok to leave Mojo and/or Poly on a charger all the time while playing, while not playing, or just overnight every day. I have heard a lot of conflicting things about the care and feeding of Li batteries and was under the impression that Chord is using Li-polymer batteries that have different management requirements than older and more commonly used Li batteries.

I have read that an iPhone is best kept around 50% charged, not allowed to discharge below 20% and never charged above 90%. Does that apply to Mojo? Poly? Of course Chord and other manufacturers have internal control of when charging stops and starts in which case if Chord is controlling charging we needn't worry about it.
This is very useful, I agree, and would appreciate @Matt Bartlett opinion here!

Mar 5, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #7,459 of 18,772
Visited my retailer today, and got my poly replaced for the power on issue.
My poly was S/N: P021163. They had received new polys recently so got a fairly new one, S/N: P026673, and so far so good, seems to be booting up <10seconds with 400gb mSD. No more jump starting with a charger.

Mine isn't too far off PO214XX. I am going to guess that they all start with PO2. So ours are in the first 1000-1500. My replacement was approved by Tom @ChordElectronics just short of a month ago. Waiting to hear from @MoonAudio when the replacement will be in. Been in contact with both and @BluebirdCRM but no solid date yet. Looking forward to the replacement. Ordered the Van Nuys Premium Case from the Netherlands as I just can't find it in North America yet. Should have it soon based on tracking the package.

Mar 5, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #7,460 of 18,772
Mine isn't too far off PO214XX. I am going to guess that they all start with PO2. So ours are in the first 1000-1500. My replacement was approved by Tom @ChordElectronics just short of a month ago. Waiting to hear from @MoonAudio when the replacement will be in. Been in contact with both and @BluebirdCRM but no solid date yet. Looking forward to the replacement. Ordered the Van Nuys Premium Case from the Netherlands as I just can't find it in North America yet. Should have it soon based on tracking the package.

BluebirdCRM let us know they were in there Monday. No clue ship dates to Moon and transit times.

Mar 5, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #7,461 of 18,772

I used to leave my old mojo charging whilst listening to music but it had a great knack of shutting down, presumably due to the heat.

Mar 5, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #7,462 of 18,772
I would think leaving it on charge all the time is asking for battery problems.

For the purposes of battery charging and stress on the battery lithium polymer and lithium ion behave the same. Constantly left in the charger and kept above 4.10V per cel (Mojo’s 8.20V charge level is the 2 cel equivalent of 4.10V per cel) is really stressful for lithium batteries for an extended period of time. The 80% and 20% rule is a good one to follow for maximum overall battery life for all lithium batteries.

Edit:

There’s a lot of information from Battery University on the best practises for charging lithium batteries and lifespan link:

Lithium-ion suffers from stress when exposed to heat, so does keeping a cell at a high charge voltage. A battery dwelling above 30°C (86°F) is considered elevated temperature and for most Li-ion a voltage above 4.10V/cell is deemed as high voltage. Exposing the battery to high temperature and dwelling in a full state-of-charge for an extended time can be more stressful than cycling. Table 3 demonstrates capacity loss as a function of temperature and SoC.

Bold emphasis by me

Not saying the Mojo / Poly specifically is adversely affected by constantly elevated heat or constantly leaving on a charger, but the information is out there for general best practises for keeping lithium batteries healthy.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #7,464 of 18,772
Thanks for the reply!

I can confirm that the box has been ticked. However, DSD files still do not play.

I'd be grateful for any assistance.

I think the dsd tick is for Roon playback only (telling roon that poly mojo can accept dsd dop)
In my case, glider can play back dsf files but not dff files. So make sure your dsd files are in the right format.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #7,466 of 18,772
Blinking red means that the battery level is 2% or below, so it is quite normal that the mojo shuts down soon afterwards.
I suspect that you never allow your mojo to fully charge the battery.
Please read my post before you reply; point one:
"1. I leave my mojo shutdown and plugged in overnight (actually I do this all the time I don't use it)"

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/overnight

"overnight = during the night"

There is more in my post. Please read first then reply.

Mar 5, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #7,467 of 18,772
I charge both mojo and poly separately.

Today I was listening to music via roon and I got to the 7 hour mark, Poly had just started flickering between orange and red and Mojo was still on orange.

I could of easily got atleast 1 hour or more out of poly and possibly 2 hours out of mojo ?

Power ball was green and the sound buttons were orange if I recall, I know they were past double red.

So stated battery life would be correct, I am happy with 8 hours out of both.

I also would not leave mojo or mojo and poly on charge most of the time as per the poster above who mentions the same. I would think leaving it on charge all the time is asking for battery problems.

Thank you! That is useful information. Much appreciated. Pardon my ignorance - where did you find out that leaving Mojo plugged in (at all times like I do) is not good? And I was thinking this is actually what I should do... Live and learn.

Mar 6, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #7,468 of 18,772
I used to leave my old mojo charging whilst listening to music but it had a great knack of shutting down, presumably due to the heat.
Why don't you say so (in the first reply) :)?? It does make sense!! My 2c.
Much appreciated.
In my defense - this was not happening 6 months ago, during the Californian summer...

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #7,469 of 18,772
For the purposes of battery charging and stress on the battery lithium polymer and lithium ion behave the same. Constantly left in the charger and kept above 4.10V per cel (Mojo’s 8.20V charge level is the 2 cel equivalent of 4.10V per cel) is really stressful for lithium batteries for an extended period of time. The 80% and 20% rule is a good one to follow for maximum overall battery life for all lithium batteries.

Edit:

There’s a lot of information from Battery University on the best practises for charging lithium batteries and lifespan link:

Bold emphasis by me

Not saying the Mojo / Poly specifically is adversely affected by constantly elevated heat or constantly leaving on a charger, but the information is out there for general best practises for keeping lithium batteries healthy.

Lesson learned! Thank you!

Mar 6, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #7,470 of 18,772
Please read my post before you reply; point one:
"1. I leave my mojo shutdown and plugged in overnight (actually I do this all the time I don't use it)"

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/overnight

"overnight = during the night"

There is more in my post. Please read first then reply.
A bit less sarcasm sunshine, when people are trying to help you. Just because your mojo is plugged in, does not prove that your battery is fully charged. If you search the Mojo thread, you will find all the information you need about chargers, plus the fact that batteries can need recalibration. I will let someone else help you further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back