Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Feb 7, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #6,647 of 18,773
I have been following this thread since it started. With all the issues initial poly owners have had, my plan was to buy one once most of them were resolved. The last firmware update seemed to improve performance for some, so I considered purchasing one. Went to Moon Audio and see the units are now $749. When did the price increase happen?

Feb 7, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #6,648 of 18,773
I have been following this thread since it started. With all the issues initial poly owners have had, my plan was to buy one once most of them were resolved. The last firmware update seemed to improve performance for some, so I considered purchasing one. Went to Moon Audio and see the units are now $749. When did the price increase happen?

Well, to be fair, it does have more functionality today then it did when it came out.

[sarcasm]

Feb 7, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #6,649 of 18,773
As an owner of the original Hugo, which blew up while being used a desktop DAC, I fully appreciate Chord’s tendency to blame the customer (you shouldn’t leave it plugged in all the time!). I have a very good alternatives for in-home streaming and mobile playing until if and when Chord gets around to issuing a recall/replacement or a fix. I’m not holding my breath however.

Hugo 2 has desktop mode, I think designed so it can be left plugged in all the time. (Hugo 2 - amazing!)

Feb 7, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #6,650 of 18,773
I’m not a Chord fanboy, this is the only product of theirs that I will ever own, and I do think that they could’ve handled things better but I also give them the benefit of the doubt and believe that they didn’t realise just how many network issues might arise with the Poly, again this doesn’t excuse the replies from posters on the unhappy/happy camp (myself included) or from Chord themselves.

I do understand people’s frustrations though, as I pointed out earlier I had major issues with Fiio and Cayin players and was told by posters and the company that I shouldn’t always expect the product to work as advertised - I got refunds on both models. At least Chord are working to resolve the issues and not suggesting you buy the next model as this will have fixed it - looking at you Fiio/Cayin and various other DAP/DAC makers.

It would be a shame not to ever buy another Chord product. .. I mean my sympathies for unhappy Poly owners. However the Hugo 2 is off the charts.

Feb 7, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #6,651 of 18,773
Feb 8, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #6,652 of 18,773

or are you one of the people that wanted a S/N list even though you’re not experiencing power on problems?

Hi, My concern is that even if your Poly currently works with your Mojo, it may not work with a future owner's Mojo.

A lot of people like to recycle their old kit when buying new stuff, and I can imagine a lot of people being upset when they buy an apparently faulty used Poly.

Perhaps knowing the serial numbers of affected Mojos and Polys might help.

Feb 8, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #6,653 of 18,773
When I play a DSD128 track from the SD card through the MPDluxe or Glider it works nice but when I play a DSD256 file (MPDluxe and Glider) and I paused the track then it’s heard a continuous high pitch noise that only disappears when playing again the track. This only happens with DSD256 tracks. When DSD128 or 44KHz tracks are paused I got just silence. Anyone has experienced this issue?

I’ll appreciate if somebody try to play a DSD256 track from SD card through MPDluxe or Glider to see if you have the same issue I have noticed. I need to know if this is a common issue or my unit is malfunctioning.

Thanks!

Feb 8, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #6,654 of 18,773
Sorry to hear you guys are having problems :poop:. Just to balance the scales a little I've been having no problems with Roon at home and phone hotspot with MALP on my Android device. And no I'm not trying to diminish your issues, it seems Poly is a bit inconsistent in terms of reliability. I notice you all use iPhones, just curious about the playback software you're using on the Poly as I'm considering getting an iPhone.

Also makes me wonder if I should keep my Poly with the 5 minute turn-on issue (it always turns on but there's up to a 5 to 10 minutes delay depending on temperature) or take a chance and exchange mine. :thinking:
1. I would definitely exchange the unit. Waiting 5 to 10 minutes to turn on it's not acceptable.
2. Keep your Android phone.
3. I had problem running Roon on Windows server 2012 R2 (constantly dropouts)
my solution was running Roon core on Ubuntu server in hyper-V. It's working flawlessly now.

Feb 8, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #6,655 of 18,773
I’ll appreciate if somebody try to play a DSD256 track from SD card through MPDluxe or Glider to see if you have the same issue I have noticed. I need to know if this is a common issue or my unit is malfunctioning.

Thanks!

I can confirm that I have this as well.... in Glider latest beta 1.8.0 build 1.8.0.16 running iOS 11.3 second beta.

Only when the playback is paused and the Mojo shows purple (DSD256) the high pitch sound is emitted... when playback resumes the pitch noise goes away.
So when the DSD clock is received through playback the signal from Poly to Mojo is locked at 11.2MHz (the DSD256 sample rate). I assume when paused the Mojo/Poly looses the reference clock but the Mojo continues to indicate the purple colour proving that the sample rate stays "locked" where is was set during playback.
This occurs when streaming from the Poly's mSD as well as my Synology NAS.

@Matt Bartlett can you replicate this? It occurs with DSD256 but not with DSD128

Edit: Will try to play these files locally from the iPhone using Glider 1.8 beta which supports iTunes file sharing and connect the iPhone with Apple's CCK cable directly to the Mojo. This way taking the Poly out of the equation it will be easier to isolate the problem.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #6,656 of 18,773
I can confirm that I have this as well.... in Glider latest beta 1.8.0 build 1.8.0.16 running iOS 11.3 second beta.

Only when the playback is paused and the Mojo shows purple (DSD256) the high pitch sound is emitted... when playback resumes the pitch noise goes away.
So when the DSD clock is received through playback the signal from Poly to Mojo is locked at 11.2MHz (the DSD256 sample rate). I assume when paused the Mojo/Poly looses the reference clock but the Mojo continues to indicate the purple colour proving that the sample rate stays "locked" where is was set during playback.
This occurs when streaming from the Poly's mSD as well as my Synology NAS.

@Matt Bartlett can you replicate this? It occurs with DSD256 but not with DSD128

Edit: Will try to play these files locally from the iPhone using Glider 1.8 beta which supports iTunes file sharing and connect the iPhone with Apple's CCK cable directly to the Mojo. This way taking the Poly out of the equation it will be easier to isolate the problem.

Update: Glider shows an error that iOS and Airplay devices don't support DSD playback to Mojo. (?!) @joe28 can confirm that Glider probably only serves as a streamer controller and not a direct playback source.
I've copied the same DSD256 file to the iTunes File Sharing folder in the KaiserTone app with Mojo connected via CCK cable and guess what, the Mojo's purple power ball glows light purple (pink) when playing the file (same as via Poly here) but when I pause the track in Kaisertone the power ball turns a darker purple and no high pitch noise is emitted. To verify I also turned off the upsampling in KaiserTone. Red powerball with CD redbook as expected and switching back to DSD256 pink during playing and purple during pause without high pitch noise.

@Matt Bartlett Does this mean that the Poly causes this behaviour, if connected to Mojo directly (bypassing Poly) doesn't exhibit this problem? A firmware update might possibly fix this?

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #6,657 of 18,773
Update: Glider shows an error that iOS and Airplay devices don't support DSD playback to Mojo. (?!) @joe28 can confirm that Glider probably only serves as a streamer controller and not a direct playback source.

That's correct. Glider cannot play DSD files directly, but can stream them to a renderer that supports DSD.

We may consider adding this feature in the future if it becomes a popular request.

Feb 8, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #6,658 of 18,773
I've copied the same DSD256 file to the iTunes File Sharing folder in the KaiserTone app with Mojo connected via CCK cable and guess what, the Mojo's purple power ball glows light purple (pink) when playing the file (same as via Poly here) but when I pause the track in Kaisertone the power ball turns a darker purple and no high pitch noise is emitted. To verify I also turned off the upsampling in KaiserTone. Red powerball with CD redbook as expected and switching back to DSD256 pink during playing and purple during pause without high pitch noise.

@Matt Bartlett Does this mean that the Poly causes this behaviour, if connected to Mojo directly (bypassing Poly) doesn't exhibit this problem? A firmware update might possibly fix this?

Yes it's a bug with DSD256 playback we are investigating. It will be addressed in a firmware update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back