Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Feb 1, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #6,481 of 18,791

@Matt Bartlett is it possible or intended that the power on problem was addressed in this update? If so, I’ll let Mitch Duce know to put my replacement on hold while I test further. If not, it can continue.

Anyone else experiencing better turn on behavior? ....

Not mine. You had me excited there for a moment. Oh well.

Feb 1, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #6,482 of 18,791
Feb 1, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #6,483 of 18,791
Is Roon worth it? I don't know too much about it but see it mentioned a lot here. Perhaps this is a convo for an other subforum? I have a NAS with 2TB+ of personal CD ripped library. Stream mostly through SONOS or CXN. Don't do Tidal (out of principal) but trial sub to Spotify Premium & Deeper HiFi/Elite. Would do Ron if it really is good match with MojoPoly. That price tho'.

Feb 1, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #6,485 of 18,791
Is Roon worth it? I don't know too much about it but see it mentioned a lot here. Perhaps this is a convo for an other subforum? I have a NAS with 2TB+ of personal CD ripped library. Stream mostly through SONOS or CXN. Don't do Tidal (out of principal) but trial sub to Spotify Premium & Deeper HiFi/Elite. Would do Ron if it really is good match with MojoPoly. That price tho'.

I think it’s worth it, with some caveats. First, I bought an Elac Discovery Music Server which comes with a lifetime (for that box) subscription to a lighter versi9nmof Roon, called Roon Essentials, but which is basically the same minus some features like EQ and with a 30k track limit. But, if i had a new replacement streamer, I would spring for full Roon at $500.

The other caveat is that I subscribe to Tidal HiFi, and Tidal is near seamlessly integrated into Roon. So, with Roon’s great interface and ability to suggest related music, it works very well. If I did not subscribe to Tidal, I would likely not find value in Roon, since I wouldn’t have a way to execute on the music discovery piece, and I already know my library well. Since moving to streaming/Roon/Tidal last June, I have bought exactly 0 new CDs when I was at least buying 2 per month. Now, those are all ripped onto SSD and SD card to be played on Poly. Phone space is reserved for Tidal offline files.

Mojo sounds the absolute best from Poly fed by Roon, whether my music or HiFi Tidal, which has new releases and a large selection of various genres.

Feb 2, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #6,486 of 18,791

I don't think anybody can speak to worth. None of us really need any of this to survive. I have Tidal HiFi and I play it exclusively through Roon. I have a NUC with Roon Rock server and Roon endpoints like Sonus and RP3s around my house. All sound better than with any other source. Poly/Mojo sounds particularly good when fed by Roon. Is it worth it? That's for you to decide. Much as I enjoy Roon and Poly/Mojo an Audeze iSine LX plugged into my iPhone with the Cipher Cable sounds amazingly good to me....

Feb 2, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #6,487 of 18,791
Been trying this app, I find with Glider I have to remove and replace the SD card before Glider recognises it, A&K seems to work straight away

Yes, I was also quite suprised by it how it just works straight away.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #6,488 of 18,791
Edd with Chord messaged me and suggested I email them, so I did and received a response back super fast from Tom. Tom said he was sorry I was having troubles.

The odd thing was he asked if I was a Head-Fi member, and if so could I tell him my username.

Hi. There is nothing sinister in this. All we are trying to do is make sure that anyone on Head-Fi experiencing problems is looked after. The trouble is we only have your forum names and when we receive an email with real names we don't know whether
it is a Head-Fier who is contacting us or not so Tom was just trying to tick off the people we had contacted through Head-Fi. Mitch is out of the office for a couple of weeks so Tom and Edd are taking over.
Hope this reassures you.

Matt

Feb 2, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #6,489 of 18,791
So,I haven’t tried enough times yet, but it seems the power in problem is better now, maybe resolved for my unit (though it’s been unseasonably warm in SF the last coup,e of days - maybe I’ll try putting Poly on the fridge for a bit).

@Matt Bartlett is it possible or intended that the power on problem was addressed in this update? If so, I’ll let Mitch Duce know to put my replacement on hold while I test further. If not, it can continue.

Anyone else experiencing better turn on hpbehavior? I used to get a red power ball on initial Mojo turn on and then no Poly turn on. Now, initial turn on gives no color on the power ball, and then purple when it connects to the network, after maybe 40 s3conds. That seems normal or reasonable.

Yes this all seems normal but I've sent a PM so we can talk this through.

Feb 2, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #6,490 of 18,791
Feb 2, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #6,491 of 18,791
Just another data point from a UK user. My Poly (not starting problem) was sent to Chord at lunchtime last Monday and the replacement was received Wednesday lunchtime - great service.

After the initial 6 hour charge, firmware update and wifi setup I have used it extensively since and have had no startup problems.

When using the wifi from my main router I have had no problems with playing from the SD card and my UPNP server (Minimserver) or from Roon.

However, I do have a fairly large house and use two wifi extenders to try to improve coverage. With both of the Poly's I have got occasional disconnects when away from the main router. What seems to be happening is that the Poly is changing to the strongest signal source, which, of course, is what is should do. My iPad and/or iPhone does not always do so and may stay attached to the main router. I assume this is because they are happy with a lower signal strength. Each time I have had a disconnect I believe this is what has happened.

In view of the above I am going to try one of the BT Whole Home WiFi systems to see if this can get over this problem. I have never really been impressed with any of the various wifi extenders I have tried over the years.

I have not, as yet, tried Mojo/Poly away from home so can't comment on mobile use.

As with my first Poly the sound quality is superb.

Feb 2, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #6,492 of 18,791
Hi. There is nothing sinister in this. All we are trying to do is make sure that anyone on Head-Fi experiencing problems is looked after. The trouble is we only have your forum names and when we receive an email with real names we don't know whether
it is a Head-Fier who is contacting us or not so Tom was just trying to tick off the people we had contacted through Head-Fi. Mitch is out of the office for a couple of weeks so Tom and Edd are taking over.
Hope this reassures you.

Matt

@Matt Bartlett thanks for the explanation, I wasn’t worried. I had hoped it was for the reason you mentioned.

Feb 2, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #6,493 of 18,791
[...] Poly/Mojo sounds particularly good when fed by Roon. Is it worth it? That's for you to decide. [...]

As far as I can understand Roon, it's stationary solution. So it's not useful at all when roaming around. And when at home, I usually prefer my speakers to headphones.
I guess Roon fed Poly is nice for people who prefer to walk around their mansions with headphones on their heads :) Not my case. But it would be nice :)

Feb 2, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #6,494 of 18,791
As far as I can understand Roon, it's stationary solution. So it's not useful at all when roaming around. And when at home, I usually prefer my speakers to headphones.
I guess Roon fed Poly is nice for people who prefer to walk around their mansions with headphones on their heads :) Not my case. But it would be nice :)

Yes, Roon is stationary, or transportable if you use a laptop and have internet access. But it’s not limited to headphones. Think of any Roon endpoint as a source to your system, whether headphones, portable, or full home system with speakers.

Feb 2, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #6,495 of 18,791

I can agree with you.
My loudspeakers can be heard in every part of the house. And that isn't because they are part of a PA system

Users who are viewing this thread

Back