Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jan 17, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #5,881 of 18,757
Yes correction it does still use data for the streaming.

Thanks for the clarification Matt. Sounds like there may be an iPhone in my future! It just seems like a simpler solution than rooted Android phones or Bluetooth...and given the great feedback the Glider app is getting that's a bonus.

Jan 17, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #5,882 of 18,757
I have set up poly in Hybrid Mode (see this video - ) and permanent hotspot mode. I am using Glider per recommendations and ti works very nicely, hotspot mode comes on, connecting to the iPhone and glider is automatic. Only thing is, I assume that thee is no easy way to stream Tidal in this configuration. Does this mean that if I want to use Tidal, I need to go in using the Sim Tool pressing the config button to go to Network mode and connect to my phone via bluetooth. Is there any easier way to switch back and forth?

Jan 17, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #5,883 of 18,757
I have set up poly in Hybrid Mode (see this video - ) and permanent hotspot mode. I am using Glider per recommendations and ti works very nicely, hotspot mode comes on, connecting to the iPhone and glider is automatic. Only thing is, I assume that thee is no easy way to stream Tidal in this configuration. Does this mean that if I want to use Tidal, I need to go in using the Sim Tool pressing the config button to go to Network mode and connect to my phone via bluetooth. Is there any easier way to switch back and forth?

You should be able to use Tidal->Airplay->Poly, shouldn't you?

Airplay is 44.1x16 which is exactly Tidal Hifi resolution.

Jan 17, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #5,884 of 18,757
You should be able to use Tidal->Airplay->Poly, shouldn't you?

Airplay is 44.1x16 which is exactly Tidal Hifi resolution.
Great, I didn't realize Airplay would still work when connected to Poly in hotspot mode. Just tried it and worked fine. Cheers.

Jan 17, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #5,885 of 18,757
1. AirAudio or similar Android app to stream Tidal offline to Poly using Airplay. The downside of this is it requires root and while my current phone is rooted, future Android phones I purchase may not be easily rootable. This is the method I'm currently using with my LG V10.

I just discovered air audio, which seems great in theory as it just allows basically raw audio output from the phone to be redirected to airplay or dlna. I was particularly excited about using dlna, but I get a drop out every like 2 minutes for a few seconds, very annoying. Airplay also has some slight dropouts, and the 2+ second delay is kind of frustrating when changing tracks or pausing. I also found that it seems to have a tedency to introduce static or clipping (maybe?) into the audio stream, very frustrating. Currently uninstalled. Still waiting on proper spotify support, either direct spotify connect capability or for the google cast functionality that they are working on.

On an unrelated note, how is battery life for everyone else? The manual states that poly should last for 9 hours vs the mojo's 8. I would expect that means that the mojo should die before the poly. But reality seems to be the opposite. I normally charge them together, because the convenience is just too good to pass up, plus its kind of a pain to have to remove it from the case. However, I wanted to try something. I charged them up today, the mojo switched off (when it was finished charging) and then shortly afterwards, the poly switched over to blinking blue light. It is my understanding that the poly switches on when charging, which is fine, but when the charging light switches from white to blue (blinking blue in my case, not on my normal wifi network) it should indicate that the poly is finished, right? Well, it seemed way too soon for both to have charged, so I removed the power plug and waited for the poly to shut off, then disconnected the poly from the mojo and plugged it back in. White light again. Been white for a while now. So I am wondering if the charging isnt quite working properly when the poly is plugged into the mojo.

Is the poly not charging up completely? That would at least make some sense as to why the poly is dying quicker than the mojo every time.

Jan 17, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #5,886 of 18,757
Hey guys just wanted to do a "mea culpa". I unfortunately let a post by John from Chord ignite my ire and I apologize to all for the posts that ensued. My reseller has reached out to me and is going to try to work things out depending upon where things go.

I told him before I send in my MojoPoly I would wait for the next firmware. Interestingly, as is usually the case, after my "tirade" the unit has been turning on (most times) and streaming Roon with barely a hiccup. I have no idea why as nothing has changed on my end and to my knowledge no new firmware updates

On another topic which has been mentioned, I really think the SQ of MojoPoly is better than Mojo tethered via USB to a computer. I am very impressed with the sound via Poly.

Jan 17, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #5,887 of 18,757
I just discovered air audio, which seems great in theory as it just allows basically raw audio output from the phone to be redirected to airplay or dlna. I was particularly excited about using dlna, but I get a drop out every like 2 minutes for a few seconds, very annoying. Airplay also has some slight dropouts, and the 2+ second delay is kind of frustrating when changing tracks or pausing. I also found that it seems to have a tedency to introduce static or clipping (maybe?) into the audio stream, very frustrating. Currently uninstalled. Still waiting on proper spotify support, either direct spotify connect capability or for the google cast functionality that they are working on.

On an unrelated note, how is battery life for everyone else? The manual states that poly should last for 9 hours vs the mojo's 8. I would expect that means that the mojo should die before the poly. But reality seems to be the opposite. I normally charge them together, because the convenience is just too good to pass up, plus its kind of a pain to have to remove it from the case. However, I wanted to try something. I charged them up today, the mojo switched off (when it was finished charging) and then shortly afterwards, the poly switched over to blinking blue light. It is my understanding that the poly switches on when charging, which is fine, but when the charging light switches from white to blue (blinking blue in my case, not on my normal wifi network) it should indicate that the poly is finished, right? Well, it seemed way too soon for both to have charged, so I removed the power plug and waited for the poly to shut off, then disconnected the poly from the mojo and plugged it back in. White light again. Been white for a while now. So I am wondering if the charging isnt quite working properly when the poly is plugged into the mojo.
Is the poly not charging up completely? That would at least make some sense as to why the poly is dying quicker than the mojo every time.

I've been using AirAudio for a few days just as an experiment and experienced the same issue you mentioned, a little static and slight dropouts. I'm wondering if it's artifacts from not having purchased the full version. And just for fun I also did a comparison playing offline Tidal through the AirAudio app and Poly vs. airplay from my wife's iPhone 6 to Poly. To my ears the sound quality was better with airplay from the iPhone. So back to the drawing board looking a better way to stream offline Tidal to my poly on my Android device.

Jan 17, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #5,888 of 18,757
Hey guys just wanted to do a "mea culpa". I unfortunately let a post by John from Chord ignite my ire and I apologize to all for the posts that ensued. My reseller has reached out to me and is going to try to work things out depending upon where things go.

I told him before I send in my MojoPoly I would wait for the next firmware. Interestingly, as is usually the case, after my "tirade" the unit has been turning on (most times) and streaming Roon with barely a hiccup. I have no idea why as nothing has changed on my end and to my knowledge no new firmware updates

On another topic which has been mentioned, I really think the SQ of MojoPoly is better than Mojo tethered via USB to a computer. I am very impressed with the sound via Poly.

@Priaptor that's a nice gesture...and re SQ I do tend to agree with you that it is somewhat better with Poly than via USB. A nice added bonus to the flexibility of Poly.

Jan 17, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #5,889 of 18,757
Couple of questions:

-Any news regarding the GoFigure app? Is there a way to be part of the Test Flights?
-Does anyone knows where to purchase the VanNuys leather Mojo/Poly case? (I'm in Australia, so anything from EU will be prohibited after conversion and shipping...), Also, I'm wondering how secure is it compared to the Chord Hard case?, from the photos it doesn't seem that safe...

cheers

Jan 17, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #5,891 of 18,757
I've been using AirAudio for a few days just as an experiment and experienced the same issue you mentioned, a little static and slight dropouts. I'm wondering if it's artifacts from not having purchased the full version. And just for fun I also did a comparison playing offline Tidal through the AirAudio app and Poly vs. airplay from my wife's iPhone 6 to Poly. To my ears the sound quality was better with airplay from the iPhone. So back to the drawing board looking a better way to stream offline Tidal to my poly on my Android device.

I paid for the full version, the static and dropouts are still there. I like it, but after playing with it a bit the implementation is not something I think is the greatest. It seems like it essentially installs a service on the phone that records all the audio then reroutes it to the receiver of your choice (dlna or airplay or any of the others). It seems to essentially be creating another audio layer in the phone, and its obviously not perfect, which is why I think there is some static there. And the dropouts are frustrating.

If you want Spotify on android then you should try Airspot, I experienced no dropouts or crackles when using that app

Apparently its not compatible with my new phone.

Jan 17, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #5,892 of 18,757

further to Priaptor's note here, I was using Roon last night via my iPad wired to Hugo 2 and got constant dropouts. it's quite unfair to blame Poly all the time! :wink:

Jan 17, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #5,893 of 18,757
What a mess

Jan 17, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #5,894 of 18,757
Welcome Chris, of course we could learn from each other as we plod along.

Hello also just a little info for Bluetooth. If your connected to a WiFi Network Poly will broadcast Bluetooth as being available. When you pair Poly via Bluetooth it will terminate its WiFi connection making P.status blink Blue/Green. But when you terminate Poly's Bluetooth it will connect to the strongest "managed" 2.4Ghz WiFi connection automatically.

Jan 17, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #5,895 of 18,757
It's still something we are working on. We removed the reference from the manual as it is not currently available.

BubbleUPnP allows for lossless music streaming to Poly and also DLNA playback of music stored on the SD card or another network storage device.
You can also use the Tidal app to share a track or album to BubbleUPnP so it will play to Poly.
Hi @Matt Bartlett - that's not strictly true right now is it? Bubble DLNA playback of local SD card files is broken (or at least it is for me - this is on Android). The stream will consistently bork and stop after 10 minutes or so, with the Poly falling off the network. MPD playback through M.A.L.P is pretty reliable though, with just a few glitches here and there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back