Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jan 10, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #5,686 of 18,893
Well done you, you’ve decided not to buy a product based on a few unhappy customers when there are many of us who have units that work as described.
Way to go!

That's all well and good, and I appreciate the snarky sarcasm /s, but I'm not about to give Chord any more of my money so they can use it as an interest free loan while they figure out the rest of their dev-roadmap. A product promising a nice feature set was announced, but in the last 3-4 months since release I've seen way too many people with issues. What's even worse is I'm seeing more resolution to these issues via forum members. It's great that there are so many people dedicated to this, but this is what the consumers paid upwards of $600 for, so Chord should give us this finished working unit, not us.

Jan 10, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #5,687 of 18,893
Well done you, you’ve decided not to buy a product based on a few unhappy customers when there are many of us who have units that work as described.
Way to go!

"FEW"=MANY. If you have a functioning MojoPoly be happy. Why do you feel this undying need to defend the undefendable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 10, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #5,689 of 18,893
"FEW"=MANY. If you have a functioning MojoPoly be happy. Why do you feel this undying need to defend the undefendable. You diehards mitigating the MANY of us as well as the MANY posting their personal experiences on AmazonUK are laughable.

Let’s be honest here neither of us know how many users are unhappy/happy with their products, I have acknowledged elsewhere in the thread (I think!) that there does seem to be a certain amount of people with hardware issues and a certain amount of people with software/network/router - take your pick issues, however there are also a number of us with no issues. My only niggle is when someone asks a question and they seem to be told with authority that it is a non working product. This is not the case for many us.

I’m not a Chord fanboy, this is the only product of theirs that I will ever own, and I do think that they could’ve handled things better but I also give them the benefit of the doubt and believe that they didn’t realise just how many network issues might arise with the Poly, again this doesn’t excuse the replies from posters on the unhappy/happy camp (myself included) or from Chord themselves.

I do understand people’s frustrations though, as I pointed out earlier I had major issues with Fiio and Cayin players and was told by posters and the company that I shouldn’t always expect the product to work as advertised - I got refunds on both models. At least Chord are working to resolve the issues and not suggesting you buy the next model as this will have fixed it - looking at you Fiio/Cayin and various other DAP/DAC makers.

Jan 10, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #5,690 of 18,893
Let’s be honest here neither of us know how many users are unhappy/happy with their products, I have acknowledged elsewhere in the thread (I think!) that there does seem to be a certain amount of people with hardware issues and a certain amount of people with software/network/router - take your pick issues, however there are also a number of us with no issues. My only niggle is when someone asks a question and they seem to be told with authority that it is a non working product. This is not the case for many us.

I’m not a Chord fanboy, this is the only product of theirs that I will ever own, and I do think that they could’ve handled things better but I also give them the benefit of the doubt and believe that they didn’t realise just how many network issues might arise with the Poly, again this doesn’t excuse the replies from posters on the unhappy/happy camp (myself included) or from Chord themselves.

I do understand people’s frustrations though, as I pointed out earlier I had major issues with Fiio and Cayin players and was told by posters and the company that I shouldn’t always expect the product to work as advertised - I got refunds on both models. At least Chord are working to resolve the issues and not suggesting you buy the next model as this will have fixed it - looking at you Fiio/Cayin and various other DAP/DAC makers.

Look, I get it.

First, there are many variables at hand here. Those of us who have working networks with every other single device in our homes, who are experienced in networking and who have sniffed and analyzed their wireless networks have working networks. If Poly can't handle these working networks, it is a Poly issue, not the enduser's network issue. I have tested my network as have others in ever single point of my home, most specifically where I would like to use my Poly, have checked my Poly's connection as well as bandwidth and bandwidth couldn't be better.

Second, I get that Chord has indeed acknowledged there is a hardware issue, specific to it just turning on, so I would imagine there could be more than just a turn on issue within the HW especially when there are two components at play here, Mojo and Poly.

Thirdly, there are many users of Poly, who use it in very different ways. Some just want to be able to play an SD card, some want to use it as DLNA, some as a Roon endpoint, etc. Many of the happy users aren't using theirs in the ways other unhappy users are using theirs. There are clearly issues and if the comments on this website are any indication as are the comments on the AmazonUK website, there is a problem many are experiencing.

Lastly, Chord has made many claims on these pages, regarding timetables to "fix" regarding firmware and apps, all long gone. The Poly has been in my possession for 3 months, with no resolution while new products are being heralded at CES. Good for Chord and those who have faith. I lost mine and am tired of the merry go round nonsense from John and his company and would like him to arrange for a refund through my US distributor. Understand, there is more invested here than just the cost of the Poly. It is the Mojo, SD CARD, Case and most of all the inordinate amount of time I have spent on this nonsense which is worth more than any monetary amount I have spent on this malfunctioning product I have in my possession.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 10, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #5,691 of 18,893
I’m sorry to have added more “noise” to this thread with my comment about the amazon reviews but I wanted to reflect that it seems some Poly problems are real and serious for some customers. I am an extremely satisfied Chord owner (I own Hugo 2 and Mojo) and wanted the Poly from the very first time I know about it, but all the issues showed in this thread, and the fact that there is no app available yet, makes me wait to see if time (and, above all, the awaited app) made the poly a more reliable and friendly product.

Anyway kudos to Chord for make some of the most incredible sounding DACs I’ve heard at any price. With poly or without poly I’ll keep my Mojo for sure!

Jan 10, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #5,692 of 18,893
I’m sorry to have added more “noise” to this thread with my comment about the amazon reviews but I wanted to reflect that it seems some Poly problems are real and serious for some customers. I am an extremely satisfied Chord owner (I own Hugo 2 and Mojo) and wanted the Poly from the very first time I know about it, but all the issues showed in this thread, and the fact that there is no app available yet, makes me wait to see if time (and, above all, the awaited app) made the poly a more reliable and friendly product.

Anyway kudos to Chord for make some of the most incredible sounding DACs I’ve heard at any price. With poly or without poly I’ll keep my Mojo for sure!

I'm not sure why you have apologize? Your post confirms what many of us are experiencing DESPITE what some, including John from Chord, on this thread would like to believe and would like others to believe.

Jan 10, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #5,693 of 18,893
I fully understand the frustration and have shared it (still do to some extent). The efforts of Joe has turned Glider into a pleasure to use with SD card, at least at home. Tonight I will try at my inlays wifi network. If that goes well, next week I may try in the office (which I have never really managed to get Poly working on).

On the go - prodding Poly with a pin is too much of a faff, so that will have to await GoFigure.

Start time - if I turn it on and then go and do my teeth etc, by the time I get into bed it MAY have turned on. Depends on how well I floss. I'd like to see this improve (maybe I will find I am eligible for the updated Poly?)

It is what it is.

Jan 10, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #5,694 of 18,893
Four unhappy users on Amazon UK doesn’t really prove anything. Amazon reviews are known for being either overly critical or hyper praising products, reminds me of a certain forum!!

Jan 10, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #5,695 of 18,893
That’s fair enough however I think we need to agree to disagree. I’ve acknowledged their are issues for people with both hardware and software. The point I was trying to make was that some people seem intent on influencing others by claiming that large numbers are affected, neither of us know if the number is large or small.

Again, my POV, is that the numbers of complaints/malfunctions, etc are "too much" no matter the number; PARTICULARLY in light of the fact that Chord has even acknowledged there is a hardware issue with a signficant number of Mojo and/or Poly. Let's not quibble about numbers.

And even those with "functioning" units, aren't realizing the true capabilities as advertised 9 months ago, haven't realized it's capabilities since taking delivery (in my case over 3 months ago) and have nothing but claims that fixes are coming and based upon past experiences as to how these claims have been handled to date, are suspect as to real fixes coming down.

So again, from my perch, there is an issue of actual malfunctioning units, of which we know there are a number out there as acknowledged by Chord and then there is the issue of actual usability and user interface for those lucky enough to have functioning MojoPoly.

Of course one of my biggest issues is the atrocious John diatribe that has unfortunately turned me off to Chord as a company and at this point would rather just get my money back.

Jan 10, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #5,696 of 18,893
OK, time for a thread summary for the latecomers to the excitement.

First the facts:

I) Poly works for some people
2) Poly doesn't work for some people
3) Poly doesn't have an App yet, so operation can be awkward
4) Chord will make FW releases to fix bugs
5) Chord have said there is an incompatibility between Poly and some Mojos. They are introducing a HW fix for Poly

Now, how to make everything rosy again:

1) People stop repeating "My one works, it must ne your fault" and "Mine doesn't work, yours must be broken too"
2) Chord explain clearly what they are doing about replacing incompatible Polys
3) Chord publish a "known Issues" list
3) Chord provide as accurate a roadmap as possible for FW updates and then keep us informed on progress
4) Chord acknowledge they got the launch wrong and that there are a number of unhappy customers. An App should have been available, and more beta testing done.
5) We start being nice to each other (yes, that's a stretch goal)

There, simple isn't it?

Jan 10, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #5,697 of 18,893
With a niche product like this, you'd have expected Chord to provide the dedicated software - which, if we believe their word, is still the plan. No offence to third-party apps like BubbleUPnP, but having to rely on them is akin to booking a stay at the Ritz, only to have McDonald's provide the catering. Glider sounds far more promising, but as an Android user that's (currently) not an option.

I bought a Poly because the Mojo, to my ears, sounds better than any similarly-priced DAP. I remain positive, until proven otherwise, that Chord can turn this around by giving us a decent interface for playing music back from Poly's SD card, fixing network problems, and so on. Being angry is understandable if you have issues, but whilst the company remains communicative I think they deserve our faith based on a pretty solid track record thus far.

Jan 10, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #5,698 of 18,893
With a niche product like this, you'd have expected Chord to provide the dedicated software - which, if we believe their word, is still the plan. No offence to third-party apps like BubbleUPnP, but having to rely on them is akin to booking a stay at the Ritz, only to have McDonald's provide the catering. Glider sounds far more promising, but as an Android user that's (currently) not an option.

I bought a Poly because the Mojo, to my ears, sounds better than any similarly-priced DAP. I remain positive, until proven otherwise, that Chord can turn this around by giving us a decent interface for playing music back from Poly's SD card, fixing network problems, and so on. Being angry is understandable if you have issues, but whilst the company remains communicative I think they deserve our faith based on a pretty solid track record thus far.

Nothing personal, but I think you have to read the denigrating responses from John=CHORD. That is hardly a constructive communication and they have been late with every firmware/app promise.

I don't think they deserve my faith. I rather have a refund quite frankly. I have stuck with this fiasco long enough. Those like myself, who are tired of this and offended by John=Chord who want refunds and can't get them from their resellers here in the states as others can in the UK or Australia, need to hear from John=CHORD to take care of us. If they rise to that request, they will have my faith. I'm done with the PolyGoRound.

Jan 10, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #5,699 of 18,893
After we received multiple reports, we've had to go through and edit or remove several posts that veered off from the Poly and became personal and heated. We ask that posts be about the Poly rather than each other. Please remember that our posting guidelines do not permit comments about both individuals and groups of people. We ask that you please keep the discussion about the gear.

Thank you everyone for your patience and understanding while we cleaned the thread. We greatly appreciate it.

Jan 10, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #5,700 of 18,893
Would the messages about the new Chord offering be considered off topic too?

I would appreciate the communication of the firmware & app availability being upper in Chords mind for this hardware and the plans for those with units needing replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back