Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Nov 29, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #4,081 of 18,778
Yes and no. As a family of 4, we have a DVR, 2 desktops, 2 laptops, 4 iPhones, 2 Apple TVs, 1 airport express, 2 iPads, 3 Kindles, 2 Apple watches, an Xbox, an Amazon fire stick, and an ElacDiscovery music server and a wireless solar monitoring connection. That’s over 20 devices that may be competing for resources at one time. Poly cannot address all these situations in its own. You may need to up your router skills on certain situations.

Exactly my point. I have well over 20 connected devices as well and setting priorities for critical devices is just good practice for traffic management. Poly does seem to be copping a degree of blame for things that maybe outside of its control. The OP was actually questioning whether it was his home network or not, so it was just a suggestion to help identify what the issue was.

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #4,082 of 18,778
Forgive me if this been asked/answered already (haven't been able to read through the 200+ pages of this thread yet), but when using the SD card and pushing commands to the Poly using a MPD, do you have to be connected via wireless (either both devices on the same network or ad-hoc) or can this be accomplished through bluetooth? Poly would be perfect for use at work for me, but if I have to be connected to the Poly via wireless all day to push MPD commands that's obviously less than ideal (connecting both to the work WiFi and trying to communicate wouldn't work well), and being able to push these commands via bluetooth would make much more sense to me.

TIA!
At the moment the transport of the commands is wireless but when the Chord app comes out it will be Bluetooth and wireless would not have to be used or active to listen to files on the sd card. of course if there is music on another server then wireless would be used by Poly to retrieve and play it - but the control commands would still be via Bluetooth.

Fingers crossed as you are after the same setup for mobile as quite a few of us are waiting for.

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #4,083 of 18,778
At the moment the transport of the commands is wireless but when the Chord app comes out it will be Bluetooth and wireless would not have to be used or active to listen to files on the sd card. of course if there is music on another server then wireless would be used by Poly to retrieve and play it - but the control commands would still be via Bluetooth.

Fingers crossed as you are after the same setup for mobile as quite a few of us are waiting for.

That would be perfect. Connecting my phone and the poly to wireless at work wouldn't fly (work for a defense supplier, security isn't exactly open around here), so disconnecting my phone from the work wireless just to connect to the poly and change songs would be a serious pain in the ass. Give me a dedicated app that can control playback of the contents on the sd card straight from the poly to the mojo using bluetooth and I'm in.

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #4,084 of 18,778
Exactly my point. I have well over 20 connected devices as well and setting priorities for critical devices is just good practice for traffic management. Poly does seem to be copping a degree of blame for things that maybe outside of its control. The OP was actually questioning whether it was his home network or not, so it was just a suggestion to help identify what the issue was.

I've definitely considered the possibility that this might be an issue with my network/router rather than Poly (and I'm still very open to that possibility), but I don't think that crowded home networks are anything unusual in today's world? I have zero problems streaming anything to any other devices, so I just don't understand why Poly should be any different. I can't assign priority to devices on my router, so I guess I'll just enjoy the music when it's working (as it is right now, weirdly enough!) and hope that the update sorts things out or I can eventually figure out what's going on by myself.

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #4,085 of 18,778
For hotspot mode I wonder if Poly assigned DHCP addresses but excluded the default gateway address, whether phones would leave the phone operational on cellular and only using WiFi for the locally connected network - for Poly only - which would solve the access-to-the-internet issue in hotspot mode.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #4,086 of 18,778
I've definitely considered the possibility that this might be an issue with my network/router rather than Poly (and I'm still very open to that possibility), but I don't think that crowded home networks are anything unusual in today's world? I have zero problems streaming anything to any other devices, so I just don't understand why Poly should be any different. I can't assign priority to devices on my router, so I guess I'll just enjoy the music when it's working (as it is right now, weirdly enough!) and hope that the update sorts things out or I can eventually figure out what's going on by myself.

That’s bizarre - who knows, it may well work fine now. Networks can sometimes be tricky and temperamental and are frustrating when things don’t work the way you want them to. I had problems some while ago with an Auralic Aries which kept dropping off the network yet I had another Aries which was very stable. I went hard wired in the end which resolved my problem and I still have no idea why one was much more robust than the other.

Nov 29, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #4,087 of 18,778
Want your Poly in hotspot mode AND be able to access the internet using your iOS device?

Confirmed working with MPDluxe and Glider Audio 1.6.1

1... put poly in hotspot mode.
2... Connect and set auto join on but auto login off to avoid nag screen.
3... manually change IP to remove default gateway

Now you have MPD/DLNA hotspot mode AND internet access.

@Matt Bartlett if you change DHCP not to hand out a default gateway this will work

1E267A34-9B74-4AD1-97DA-EC8CF3F27158.png

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #4,088 of 18,778
With internet access enabled I get an odd page (placeholder I think) for poly.audio. I have to set the ip config back to auto to get back to the local config page. If that becomes the default we may not get to the real config page, though I could be wrong.

Nov 29, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #4,089 of 18,778
I am on the fence about purchasing the Poly. One thing I need to know is what offers better sound quality:

Tidal lossless --> iPad Pro --> Mojo --> Senn HD800

or

Tidal lossless --> iPad Pro --> Poly (via Airplay) --> Mojo --> Senn HD800

Airplay uses WiFi so should provide better quality than Bluetooth in this case. If Poly in the chain in this case does not offer increase in SQ, then probably not worth it for me at this time.

Any opinions on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Nov 29, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #4,090 of 18,778
That’s bizarre - who knows, it may well work fine now. Networks can sometimes be tricky and temperamental and are frustrating when things don’t work the way you want them to. I had problems some while ago with an Auralic Aries which kept dropping off the network yet I had another Aries which was very stable. I went hard wired in the end which resolved my problem and I still have no idea why one was much more robust than the other.

Tricky and temperamental indeed. In an attempt to figure out what's going on, I've just purchases Network Radar for my MBP and have been pinging every device on my Network. All of them (ipads, iphones, LG TV, Onkyo receiver etc) have a (fluctuating) ping time of generally less than 100ms. My Poly, connected to my network but with nothing streaming, fluctuates wildly from 3 or 4ms up to over 1000ms. I'll try to attach a screen capture of what I was seeing but haven't done it before so don't know if it'll work. I'm no network expert, but there seems to be something not right with my Poly, at least in comparison to my other devices? I was also monitoring the the ping times while playing some music (streaming from Audirvana+) and the connection drop-outs coincided with the highest spikes in the ping times.

Poly Idle.png

Nov 29, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #4,091 of 18,778
I am on the fence about purchasing the Poly. One thing I need to know is what offers better sound quality:

Tidal lossless --> iPad Pro --> Mojo --> Senn HD800

or

Tidal lossless --> iPad Pro --> Poly (via Airplay) --> Mojo --> Senn HD800

Airplay uses WiFi so should provide better quality than Bluetooth in this case. If Poly in the chain in this case does not offer increase in SQ, then probably not worth it for me at this time.

Any opinions on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I think the sound quality of CD-quality Tidal via airplay with Poly or via a cable between iPadPro and Mojo should be the same or very similar. If you may someday want to stream higher res or use Roon (Roon and its RAAT protocol sounds way better to me than airplay), then you may still consider Poly.

One other subjective thing: I find myself grabbing Mojo/Poly on the go way more than I used to, since I don't need to worry about trying to manage carrying my phone and attaching it to Mojo, so that's a definite benefit.

Nov 29, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #4,093 of 18,778
With internet access enabled I get an odd page (placeholder I think) for poly.audio. I have to set the ip config back to auto to get back to the local config page. If that becomes the default we may not get to the real config page, though I could be wrong.

This is because Chord doesn't own the poly.music domain. If you go visit that on your computer you'll see the "strange page" which is the official site.

@Matt Bartlett you guys could stop redirecting incoming web requests to 192.168.1.1 to the poly.music and let them through which would solve this easily. People should be getting there by using mypolyname.local anyway.

You could always have poly.chordelectronics.co.uk resolve to 192.168.1.1 too and it'd work in this use case

The poly winds up being IP address 192.168.1.1 and chord doesn't actually own the poly.music domain.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #4,094 of 18,778
Tricky and temperamental indeed. In an attempt to figure out what's going on, I've just purchases Network Radar for my MBP and have been pinging every device on my Network. All of them (ipads, iphones, LG TV, Onkyo receiver etc) have a (fluctuating) ping time of generally less than 100ms. My Poly, connected to my network but with nothing streaming, fluctuates wildly from 3 or 4ms up to over 1000ms. I'll try to attach a screen capture of what I was seeing but haven't done it before so don't know if it'll work. I'm no network expert, but there seems to be something not right with my Poly, at least in comparison to my other devices? I was also monitoring the the ping times while playing some music (streaming from Audirvana+) and the connection drop-outs coincided with the highest spikes in the ping times.

This usually just means its too busy doing what its doing to reply faster. Its not necessarily a network problem, more likely just a "busy doing things" issue.

Nov 29, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #4,095 of 18,778
This usually just means its too busy doing what its doing to reply faster. Its not necessarily a network problem, more likely just a "busy doing things" issue.

Quoted for truth. No device is immune to this behavior, including VMs, ESXi hosts, even big enterprise SANs. We've even had a poorly implemented backup solution choke an ESXi host so hard that it's management IP was dropping packets left right and center.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back