Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Mar 20, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #1,443 of 18,899
  The poly is over priced imo. Better of just buying a high end DAP for an all- in-one unit. Maybe the Mojo 2 will have the micro sd and phone app.

I don't agree that its overpriced, it should have been produced a bit cheaper though (around £299) to determine market demand for such a device at a cost more palatable to the typical Mojo user.

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #1,444 of 18,899
I don't agree that its overpriced, it should have been produced a bit cheaper though (around £299) to determine market demand for such a device at a cost more palatable to the typical Mojo user.
Please if you can design it, then make it to the performance that it has, any cheaper than we can and distribute it through normal retail channels around the world, you must be a genius that we could do with in our company. So please send us your extensive CV and we will sign you up immediately.

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #1,445 of 18,899
Please if you can design it, then make it to the performance that it has, any cheaper than we can and distribute it through normal retail channels around the world, you must be a genius that we could do with in our company. So please send us your extensive CV and we will sign you up immediately.

Is that a job offer? :)

Perhaps you misunderstood my comments, I don't believe what Chord have designed and built could be made cheaper, for what it does it looks like great value. What I meant by my post above was that for a Mojo version of Poly, if it were possible could it have been designed and built cheaper, to a lower specification?

If Poly's hardware specification was chosen to support the highest bit-rates and DSD then perhaps most users would have been prepared to accept some compromises in that area and others, if it affected the end user price.

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #1,446 of 18,899
Looking forward to Poly. To me it seems to be a nearly perfect device. It has just one serious design flaw. In my book Poly should have had hardware buttons in order to be able to play/pause/rewind etc. without any need to use a tablet or mobile. A must have feature when listening to music at night in bed...

Gesendet von meinem SM-T813 mit Tapatalk

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #1,447 of 18,899

Perhaps you misunderstood my comments, I don't believe what Chord have designed and built could be made cheaper, for what it does it looks like great value. What I meant by my post above was that for a Mojo version of Poly, if it were possible could it have been designed and built cheaper, to a lower specification?

If Poly's hardware specification was chosen to support the highest bit-rates and DSD then perhaps most users would have been prepared to accept some compromises in that area and others, if it affected the end user price.
No sorry I'm flying home been up for hours and an now only in Hong Kong with 15 hours to go so I'm a bit grumpy :rage: cheers another glass of Shiraz will pacify me I think!
Poly does support all Bit rates even octa DSD and would work as far up as 1mHz it's amazing to do this for a low power mobile product
though Mojo goes to 768 or DSD 256

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #1,448 of 18,899

I'm glad Chord builds to the highest level of performance they can. Those unwilling to pay for this level of performance should perhaps look elsewhere. Pass the Shiraz, John....

Mar 21, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #1,450 of 18,899

Yes, Sir. But, this might be the only solution, when you've no cell coverage and cannot enable hotspot function in iPhone.
On the plus side, you've an additional 2TB (or more) of music you can stream to Mojo.

Airplay doesn't work like that. iPhone knows you're using mobile data when using hotspot function.
When on home network, Airplay will handover the link to target device. When on the move, Airplay will stream via Bluetooth (SBC) only.

Android phones might have a work-around. But, I've to read more about them. There are simply too many devices/configuration to be sure.

Sorry but I believe you are incorrect in your assumption as we airplay all the time with and without networks

I did not say, airplay will not work without networks. I said, it may not be Airplay P2P (2.4 GHz), it might be using Airplay Direct (Bluetooth).
When on hotspot mode, have you tried to airplay with bluetooth turned-off?

https://chambersdaily.com/bradleychambers/2014/9/19/technical-details-of-peer-to-peer-airplay

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #1,451 of 18,899
Not sure about others but Im very excited by the portable aspect as well as the versitility of the mojopoly.
There are cheaper portable alternatives out there, as you pointed out before, fiio has very good cheaper DAPs and I wonder what could have been made cheap enough to rival the Shanling M1.
So personaly Im happy to pay a premium for something Mr. Franks is adament is priced acordingly (that sentince seems to be badly writen... Oh well).

Mar 21, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #1,452 of 18,899
No sorry I'm flying home been up for hours and an now only in Hong Kong with 15 hours to go so I'm a bit grumpy :rage: cheers another glass of Shiraz will pacify me I think!
Poly does support all Bit rates even octa DSD and would work as far up as 1mHz it's amazing to do this for a low power mobile product
though Mojo goes to 768 or DSD 256

Considering the mobile devices that will control Poly have built in obsolescence of 18 months to 2 years (I’m being VERY generous), I applaud Chords future proofing and long term view.

Mar 21, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #1,453 of 18,899
I am a brand new Mojo owner (dipped my toes at CanJam in New York a few weeks ago). I bought the Mojo with the plan to buy the Poly. I realize now that doing so may save me a few hundred dollars on my to-be set up. First, let me describe the to-be and see if the Poly can save me some money (you heard it here first!).

My music library is on a Synology NAS. I want to be able to stream my music in full resolution as I move about. I configured my system as per this guidance using a demo version of JRiver Media Center and JRemote on my iPhone 6 (it works great, by the way). I plan to buy (like tomorrow) the JRiver ID so I have dedicated hardware to run JRMC.

I understand that the Poly will allow me to stream my music from my NAS through my iPhone to the Poly and then to the Mojo. If that is the case, can I stream my music in full resolution via wifi or cellular as I move about? If so, then my out of pocket cost will be the Poly at $629 minus the JRiver Id at $265 that I may not need to buy, or $364. That price point makes buying the Poly far less painful.

Am I correct in my understanding of what the Poly may be able to do?

Streaming from a NAS drive is achieved by using a DLNA compatible App / program. On the App / program select the NAS drive as the server and Poly as the output device.

I finally got around to looking at all the Poly videos carefully taking notes about the features in each video. At the end of Lesson 3, the recap states "DLNA is a network standard for playback from networked devices, at home or on the go." So I think that clarifies if I can use the Poly to stream music from my Synology NAS while on the go, and that is what John stated above.

I am puzzled (but potentially pleased) as I thought DLNA was only for in-home networked connections and not for remote access. Can someone confirm that? If so, I will then patiently wait for the Ploy to be released and let my JRiver MC trial expire. If not, I will buy the JRiver Id to make remote access happen once the Poly is released (and through cables in the interim).

Thanks to @Pictograms for his earlier advice about Bubble UPnP as a possible solution. I gave up on the strategy after poking around for a while as I couldn't make sense how to put that in place.

Looking forward to a confirmation...

Mar 21, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #1,454 of 18,899
  I thought DLNA was only for in-home networked connections and not for remote access.

DLNA is only a local connection, which would be between the phone and Poly. However, an app on the phone can stream data from a remote server to DLNA.

Considering the mobile devices that will control Poly have built in obsolescence of 18 months to 2 years (I’m being VERY generous), I applaud Chords future proofing and long term view.

Poly is not future proofed for Bluetooth 5 (unless somehow in firmware).

Mar 22, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #1,455 of 18,899
  I did not say, airplay will not work without networks. I said, it may not be Airplay P2P (2.4 GHz), it might be using Airplay Direct (Bluetooth).
When on hotspot mode, have you tried to airplay with bluetooth turned-off?

https://chambersdaily.com/bradleychambers/2014/9/19/technical-details-of-peer-to-peer-airplay

What the article said is about peer to peer airplay, but I don't think airplay by personal hotspot should be count as p2p airplay.
Some examples that can be found on google mentioned using personal hotspot to airplay. I found one using iphone 4s(no 5 GHz) streaming video(exceed bandwidth of bluetooth) to apple tv.
It should be streaming by personal hotspot with 2.4 GHz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back