Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Mar 17, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #1,411 of 18,865

1. I don't think the streaming apps offer this kind of functions.
2. I guess the 500 means 499 gbp preorder, not limited 500 free cases.

Thanks for your reply!

1. Well, most streaming services  offer the possibility to store your downloaded music to an SD card (within the settings of Spotify, Tidal or Apple music, for example). I was just wondering whether it is possible to select the Poly`s SD card in these settings when the device is connected?

2. Sorry, I am not a native English speaker: What do you mean by "gbp"? "British Pounds"? Then I am not sure what exactly you mean? That everybody who orders in England receives a case?

No. Streaming apps cannot/won't allow access to network mount points.

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #1,412 of 18,865

You do realize Android phones have the biggest market share in cell phones right?  Seems to me you made the poly primarily for the iphone and android was an after thought.  

Seems that way. Afraid I'm out of the Poly now but still considering a Hugo 2 instead (which does have aptx BT)

I just can't force myself to go back to using iPhones.

Also, no reason not to include Aptx as wouldn't affect iPhone use. Other devices support multiple Bluetooth protocols including my B&W P7 wireless.  My Sony Z5 pushes LDAC BT as the best at 3x data rate of normal BT but still also supports aptx.

Even with iPhones, you're limited to Bluetooth (SBC) only. When you're on the go.
However, there is a work-around. You can use a portable wifi-hub (or wi-fi hard disk) that allows pass-through function for your mobile data, connect your phone and poly to it's Access point.
Now you've a portable WLAN and Poly will use the 2.4 GHz instead of bluetooth.

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #1,413 of 18,865
  Even with iPhones, you're limited to Bluetooth (SBC) only. When you're on the go.
However, there is a work-around. You can use a portable wifi-hub (or wi-fi hard disk) that allows pass-through function for your mobile data, connect your phone and poly to it's Access point.

I like that as a possible solution, but yet another battery powered device to carry around. :frowning2:

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #1,414 of 18,865

You can simply use your phone's hotspot to connect Poly, without any other devices.

Mar 17, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #1,415 of 18,865

I like that as a possible solution, but yet another battery powered device to carry around. :frowning2:

Yes, Sir. But, this might be the only solution, when you've no cell coverage and cannot enable hotspot function in iPhone.
On the plus side, you've an additional 2TB (or more) of music you can stream to Mojo.

You can simply use your phone's hotspot to connect Poly, without any other devices.

Airplay doesn't work like that. iPhone knows you're using mobile data when using hotspot function.
When on home network, Airplay will handover the link to target device. When on the move, Airplay will stream via Bluetooth (SBC) only.

Android phones might have a work-around. But, I've to read more about them. There are simply too many devices/configuration to be sure.

Mar 17, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #1,416 of 18,865
Airplay doesn't work like that. iPhone knows you're using mobile data when using hotspot function.
When on home network, Airplay will handover the link to target device. When on the move, Airplay will stream via Bluetooth (SBC) only.

Android phones might have a work-around. But, I've to read more about them. There are simply too many devices/configuration to be sure.

Are you sure about this? using hotspot for airplay streaming service apps is what Poly is demoed on every show/expo.
and the Poly video #5 are showing hotspot use case and the title of the video is "AirPlay playback"

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #1,417 of 18,865
No sorry not yet! I'm told the final first batch PCBs arrive in April however the preproduction units are now working extremely well.

AudioSanctuary are still listing the Poly as shipping on Mar 29th - sounds a bit optimistic if the PCBs won't arrive until April. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #1,418 of 18,865
  Are you sure about this? using hotspot for airplay streaming service apps is what Poly is demoed on every show/expo.
and the Poly video #5 are showing hotspot use case and the title of the video is "AirPlay playback"

That's actually interesting... Wikipedia says: "Bluetooth devices (headsets, speakers) that support the A2DP profile also appear as AirPlay receivers when paired with an iOS device, although Bluetooth is a device-to-device protocol that does not rely on a wireless network access point."

I guess if it works when connected to the iPhone hotspot with bluetooth turned off (or unpaired) it will stream lossless?

I'll be buying a Poly no matter what. :) 

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #1,419 of 18,865

That's actually interesting... Wikipedia says: "Bluetooth devices (headsets, speakers) that support the A2DP profile also appear as AirPlay receivers when paired with an iOS device, although Bluetooth is a device-to-device protocol that does not rely on a wireless network access point."

I guess if it works when connected to the iPhone hotspot with bluetooth turned off (or unpaired) it will stream lossless?

I'll be buying a Poly no matter what. :) 

Actually there are some discusses about Airplay over personal hotspot. Including video airplay which is not possible via bluetooth.
You can simply search "airplay personal hotspot" on google and find some.

Mar 18, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #1,423 of 18,865
Yes, Sir. But, this might be the only solution, when you've no cell coverage and cannot enable hotspot function in iPhone.
On the plus side, you've an additional 2TB (or more) of music you can stream to Mojo.

Sorry but I believe you are incorrect in your assumption as we airplay all the time with and without networks

Mar 18, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #1,424 of 18,865
If using an Android phone and trying to avoid the Airplay thing as I am I think something like this will work best for me.

http://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-monthly-mobile-broadband/4gee-wifi-mini/details

I haven't tested it with Poly (obviously as nobody has one yet :wink: ) but its effectively a wifi router for up to 10 devices with the added bonus of its own 4G data connection.

It should allow streaming Tidal from my phone's data connection with the Poly-Mojo as the output and bit perfect.

These things are £15 without any 4G data so cheap enough too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back