Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jan 10, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #497 of 18,774
While the Poly will work as a Wi-Fi hub, can we configure it to connect to other Wi-Fi networks and be visible as a streaming device? If so, how easy will it be to configure on-the-go?

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #502 of 18,774
One Of my facepalm moments....who cares about wifi...you still go through Bluetooth to your Bluetooth earphones

I think he's talking about wired headphones... so instead of two cables (USB and headphone) you only have one (headphone).... all for a measly $600. 

Where not talking about using Bluetooth earphones. You don't buy a Mojo to listen to BT headphones. Its about wirelessly feeding the Mojo music and control via a phone without loosing the quality you get cabled.

Make sure you facepalm really hard... as they mentioned, I was talking about wired headphones. As to why you'd spend $600 to buy a Mojo so that you can play high quality, uncompressed audio, let alone over $1200 for the Mojo-Poly combo, to then have that same audio get compressed by using Bluetooth, is beyond me.

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #503 of 18,774

Poly + MojoPhone onlyDAP only
SD Card playback with 256Gb + of Music files onlySome have no SD card, those that do have other stuff like Photo's, Videos, Apps etc. So never 256Gb for just musicSD Card with 256Gb + of Music files only
No USB cable from Phone to Mojo, avoid OS glitches/RF interferencePoor audio performance compared to Mojo (whole reason Mojo exists). If that's ok, you don't need Mojo or PolyTouchscreen, fixed OS, usually old Android, not much use for anything but Music
Wireless streaming module to allow Mojo playback from a NASIf Bluetooth only headphones are your preference, this could be for you. Poly will not do thisNot Mojo sound signature. If that is ok, you don't need Mojo or Poly.
Bluetooth streaming module to allow Mojo playback from a Phone (medium resolution), using Mojo capability, possibly the best sounding Bluetooth audio If Bluetooth only headphones are your preference, this could be for you. Poly will not do this
Wireless streaming module to allow Mojo playback from a Phone (Hi-Res)  
No screen, saves the issue of having a proprietary OS to support and integrate with Android / IOS, avoids user complaints and eventual obsolescence  
Phone as the control point means users keep an OS they are happy with and simply run an app. How everything else works, right?  

*** Very important question that hasn't been clearly answered by anyone yet ***

It's great if Poly can provide mojo's sound quality I get when using a cable through Wireless connection in homes or around Wifi hot spots like at a coffee shop. But what about on the go, hiking in the forest for instance? Only Bluetooth?
If so, does mojo sound as good with Poly Bluetooth as when mojo is wired through USB to a phone? Or Does Bluetooth have to read poly's SD card to get mojo's same sound quality as when wired to iphone with USB?

Mojo being Chord's most portable offering, seems like a reasonable question to ask...

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #504 of 18,774
Make sure you facepalm really hard... as they mentioned, I was talking about wired headphones. As to why you'd spend $600 to buy a Mojo so that you can play high quality, uncompressed audio, let alone over $1200 for the Mojo-Poly combo, to then have that same audio get compressed by using Bluetooth, is beyond me.

Id actually be surprised if there are audible differences in BT vs cable conducted audio, using high quality gear then.

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #505 of 18,774

It's great if Poly can provide mojo's sound quality I get when using a cable through Wireless connection in homes or around Wifi hot spots like at a coffee shop. But what about on the go, hiking in the forest for instance? Only Bluetooth?
If so, does mojo sound as good with Poly Bluetooth as when mojo is wired through USB to a phone? Or Does Bluetooth have to read poly's SD card to get mojo's same sound quality as when wired to iphone with USB?

Mojo being Chord's most portable offering, seems like a reasonable question to ask...

If I'm not mistaken I believe Poly will create it's own local WiFi network, to which you connect to directly through your phone. Not sure if you've used a GoPro camera, but it's the same concept. It's a lot like connecting through Bluetooth except you're using WiFi to connect directly to the Poly.

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #506 of 18,774

SD Card playback with 256Gb + of Music files onlySome have no SD card, those that do have other stuff like Photo's, Videos, Apps etc. So never 256Gb for just musicSD Card with 256Gb + of Music files only
No USB cable from Phone to Mojo, avoid OS glitches/RF interferencePoor audio performance compared to Mojo (whole reason Mojo exists). If that's ok, you don't need Mojo or PolyTouchscreen, fixed OS, usually old Android, not much use for anything but Music
Wireless streaming module to allow Mojo playback from a NASIf Bluetooth only headphones are your preference, this could be for you. Poly will not do thisNot Mojo sound signature. If that is ok, you don't need Mojo or Poly.
Bluetooth streaming module to allow Mojo playback from a Phone (medium resolution), using Mojo capability, possibly the best sounding Bluetooth audio If Bluetooth only headphones are your preference, this could be for you. Poly will not do this
No screen, saves the issue of having a proprietary OS to support and integrate with Android / IOS, avoids user complaints and eventual obsolescence  
Phone as the control point means users keep an OS they are happy with and simply run an app. How everything else works, right?  

When using a microSD card inserted within Poly, the phone merely reads the metadata tags of the music files on the microSD card and indicates to Poly which files to feed directly to Mojo. In that scenario, no actual music is sent wirelessly. It is CHOSEN wirelessly, but fed to Mojo directly through the physical hardware connection from Poly to Mojo.

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #507 of 18,774
  I have to say I'm surprised at the exchanges here.

First off, the criticism of the information from Chord. I'm sure many posters empathise with having a hard deadline (CES) to work towards. The focus HAD to be on getting the product built.
We have been told the use case videos are on the way. It's a product announcement. The product isn't even for sale for 2-3 months. Emotional outbursts stating "I'm not buying this" are posturing. No-one can buy it until March(ish).
Does nobody remember the iPhone launch? Half the demo didn't work. Give the guys some latitude. Ever heard of patience?

Second, the fuss about the price. This seems to be based on a number of things. "I just wanted an SD card reader", "It costs more than Mojo", "I don't know what it does", It doesn't have a screen", "I can buy a DAP/PHONE/another product for less", "2.4 and not 5gHz WLAN"
So here are my (limited) observations on some of these scenarios. They aren't intended to map as a Pros vs Cons evaluation

Now I have an old Cowon DAP that I keep meaning to sell on ebay. It was good, not like Mojo, and has been superseded. It had limited memory, crap OS and so it gathers dust. I am not keen to go down that route again.
For the complaints such as "I just wanted an SD card reader", It doesn't have a screen", "I can buy a DAP/PHONE/another product for less". Comparing Poly to just one or a couple of these criteria, means Poly isn't for you. Get over it, buy what you feel is best (Raspberry Pi, DAP etc)

The lack of touch screen is becoming a complaint. I feel Chord were on a hiding to nothing here. I also have a multiroom Linn streaming system. Since that was launched, the argument that fills their forums is over control points. Linn should build their own vs Linn should focus on what it does (not apps). When Linn builds their own it is rubbished and compared to all the other control points. I personally prefer selecting the best available in the app store. I know others will disagree.

On the WLAN 2.4gHz issue. I work for a WLAN vendor. We of course push the latest tech and hammer home the 5gHz benefits. What else does an equipment vendor do? Believe me, 2.4gHz is not going away. 5gHz is not always the answer. The techs in engineering I asked weren't fussed. Half the devices in my home ONLY work on 2.4Ghz. 5 of which stream HD video just fine. 5gHz would be nice. I don't see it as a show stopper. I'm sure Poly could be returned it in the unlikely event the WI-FI failed to work in someones environment.

No-one HAS to buy Poly. Mojo will continue to work fine as it is. If you don't want it, or like something else more, move on.
Why not keep it cool until we see the Chord videos?
beerchug.gif

1. With Poly, the data path is still 100% through USB... and now you've added 2 RF transceivers in close proximity with no galvanic isolation to speak of... RFI is still an issue, even more so with Poly than without. Also, you are now trading "OS glitches" for things like packet overhead, collisions, retries, handshaking, RF interference (in terms of achievable data rate), etc. 
2. Poly still depends on Android/iOS software for control... so you still need one of these devices, so you still have the same problems you claim are circumvented with Poly.
3. People already use the phone they like, so how is this a factor? 
4. Almost  all of the features you describe can already be accomplished with a phone (or some DAPs) and USB to Mojo... Let's stop sugarcoating this and call it what it is.... $600 to get rid of a USB cable. 

Again, Chord can easily dismiss (or confirm) all - well, most - of these criticisms with some lab measurements and data. Instead we're left to speculate and make up our own narratives. 

Jan 10, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #510 of 18,774
Can we leave this value discussion now as its not really going anywhere, just repeating like Ground Hog Day.

Chord have a history of making great equipment and it isn't even out for two more month yet so plenty of time to get more info/reviews before any desiscion to buy.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back