Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jan 6, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #106 of 19,116
  .... if you are going to play off just sd, why don't you just get a wm1a and be done with it? It is generally accepted that it performs at a higher level than the mojo

rolleyes.gif

Each to their own, my friend. Each to their own.

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #109 of 19,116
I don't get the people complaining about the phone interface.  

First of all, for my use of DAP's, I'm effectively always on the go, which means I always have my phone on me.  And when I'm listening to music on the go (say at an airport for instance), the DAP is in nearby and I'm looking at Head-fi or FB or reading a book on my phone.  Being able to just control everything from my phone, which is always with me when I'm using a DAP and almost always in my hand when I'm using a DAP, is awesome to me.

Second of all, screens add bulk, weight, complexity, critical point of failure and cost.  I already have a screen that is literally always with me, whether I'm using the DAP or not.  Why not make use of it?

Third, the biggest down side of using the phone as a transport (to me) is the battery life.  My phone, at the end of the day, is a phone first and everything else second.  I don't like sacrificing my phone's battery to listen to music.  It's the main reason I use a DAP instead of a Mojo right now.  With the Poly, I don't use the phone for anything except sending commands ala Chromecast (assuming I'm not streaming Tidal or something from my phone).  I get to use my phone as a transport without the main negative of using battery life.  (And the second biggest negative is needing to carry around an extra cable.  That's gone too.)

Fourth, I can stream music through my phone if I want to.  This means I can use my wireless network, not just wifi, which makes it WAAAY more useful than any other Android-based DAP with just wifi.

This is just talking about using the phone as a transport/screen.  I haven't even mentioned the biggest advantage of the Poly in my eyes:  it's simply one of the best sounding DAP's you can get now.  R2R isn't going to be coming to a portable anytime soon thanks to physical size limitations.  But Chord's FPGA tech is nearly as good (better in some cases) and I don't think any D-S DAP will be able to compete for SQ.

I know we all have different use cases for the Mojo and its versatility is one of its main selling points.  This adds even more use cases that some will find handy and some won't.  That's perfectly fine.  But objectively, I think leaving off the screen and using the phone is a very forward-thinking idea and I for one am pretty jazzed about it.

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #110 of 19,116

You mean Poly+mojo+MicroSD+ PHONE............if you are going to play off just sd, why don't you just get a wm1a and be done with it? It is generally accepted that it performs at a higher level than the mojo........and also has 128 gigs of internal memory and you can add 256gb. Also has 33 hours of battery life compared to like 7 hours....., is built like a tank, and is much easier to use and carry? I don't get how anyone could justify the poly outside of its wireless capability as a streamer, which can be solved really with a raspbery pi3 for much cheaper....... also with a purchase of a mojo + poly, its the same cost? Also you can use your phone to stream tidal directly connected(oh wait nvm...rf interference...still needs wifi). If people are so keen on using the mojo solely as a desktop dac, which many people are, with the cost of the Poly, you can stretch and grab a Schiit gungnir or chord 2qute, or even a used chord hugo(if you are keen on upgrading that path). 

The problem with poly is that, while it is flexible, it doesn't do excel at doing anything better for the price that its asked. Poly doesn't make mojo dac any better..same performance, if you are streaming at home...cheap raspberry pi3 does the job, If you want to use it on the go.....not great battery life and bulky.....Sony wm1a does it better.......

as for phil w's comment....I don't see why that's awesome? you have your phone, you have mojo and poly in one pocket, but your iem cable is still dangling out of the pocket or wherever you put it. and then you have to use your phone in wifi to control the mojo........I would rather have a dap i just pull out and switch and do everything. Better yet a dap that has physical buttons on the side like sony on the side so I don't have to take it out of my pocket. Thats not to mention....how warm the mojo/poly will get...><

Apple was genius not because of its Great great innovativeness but its ability to bring features that were useful, easy to use, and simple.

I can't believe stacking a phone with a mojo is easier than setting your whole poly up, getting app on the phone. Turn Poly mojo on, plug headphones in, put in pocket....iem cable dangling, turn wifi on, find your favorite wifi app. then use your phone everytime you want to switch track and volume, to do so, you have to turn on phone, access app....do what you want....also less battery life for your already short lived battery phones(meaning charge everyday).............like how can anyone say that's innovative use of mobile listening. 

If its completely wireless yes, but its a mix of wireless and WIRed with the iem or headphone...I don't know how people think its totally wireless operation with music magically coming to your ears while the block stays in bag and you just use the phone.....

That is all well and good...
But isn't it essentially the same as a current Mojo owner getting a Poly?
The price difference is not so great...and there is no need to buy a new DAP into the equation.
The Poly is for current Mojo owners...

So??
Buy an add on for your already sweet Mojo...
Or buy an entirely new DAP ??

Why is there an issue???

And still have phone in pocket...Like always!!!

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #111 of 19,116
Having had the afternoon to think about it and read the press release for my circumstance i am never buying the poly as i cannot justify spending £500 for the convienience of removing a cable.  Unless somehow poly drastically improves sound quality over a usb connection and it would have to be a substantial difference..

I dont use mojo indoors its purely for MObile JOy outside.  I like the idea of using a phone as an app interface id always have both on me anyway so its no real issue and will keep the cost down and its how most of us use mojo anyway.  I dont stream music from any service i use my CD/vinyl rips from an SD card via an app interface.  

Again im not an engineer and dont really understand all the talk of the cores are running at 2ghz and some of the other info the chord reps have put on the main mojo thread but how can any of that really justify £500 price tag.  What will poly do that my phone & mojo stack cant?  This is what im struggling to work out.

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #112 of 19,116
All this discussion got me thinking back to my first attempt at creating a transportable music system. It consisted of a battery powered Red wine audio isabellina headphone amp/dac and a laptop to stream music from a server in my home. That was 5 years ago. Now with the poly and mojo I can accomplish the same thing all remote controlled from my phone. With Roon ready capability on poly I don't need to deal with the sampling issues associated with USB output from android devices and I have access to my entire music library plus anything I want to listen to on tidal. And best of all, sound quality is similar, given the advances in iem technology. Plus I get to have virtually the same sound quality away from my home. The more I read and think about the poly/mojo combo the more excited I get about the possibilities. Yes I was a little surpised at the pricing of it but given the changing exchange rates and what it offers for me I will consider it as an addition to my portable music system.

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #113 of 19,116
In other thread John Franks said phone will also control volume so looking more interesting as more info comes out.

I am hoping this will be the case. I don't see why it couldn't. The bottons on mojo don't acually move a pot. I would mainly be using its sd reader. I stream 10 percent of the time and volume while streaming could be adjusted with Bluetooth volume.
As far as the Sony goes I think when I looked at it it had 33 hr battery life playing mp3. But like 22 with flac, and 12 with dsd. Don't know how file size will effect poly. But I already have mojo. And I'm always on my phone. Hopefully there app can run in background feom lock screen or something.

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #114 of 19,116
I like that I can load up all my favourite music...and play back..
Without any worries about what is coming out of my phone!
Will be handled by Poly..
Will be Mojo sweet... without any OTG..Or any other variables! 

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #116 of 19,116
Having had the afternoon to think about it and read the press release for my circumstance i am never buying the poly as i cannot justify spending £500 for the convienience of removing a cable.  Unless somehow poly drastically improves sound quality over a usb connection and it would have to be a substantial difference..

I dont use mojo indoors its purely for MObile JOy outside.  I like the idea of using a phone as an app interface id always have both on me anyway so its no real issue and will keep the cost down and its how most of us use mojo anyway.  I dont stream music from any service i use my CD/vinyl rips from an SD card via an app interface.  

Again im not an engineer and dont really understand all the talk of the cores are running at 2ghz and some of the other info the chord reps have put on the main mojo thread but how can any of that really justify £500 price tag.  What will poly do that my phone & mojo stack cant?  This is what im struggling to work out.

Exactly....

It's like.. You can keep your current rig and just get another headphone/iem if you must get rid of 600$...

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #117 of 19,116
Quoting my own post to this forum.

Quote:
  Consider that the Sonore microRendu is 640 USD without a power supply, the poly price point is not bad if it performs as well. From my perspective, the Poly does just what the microRendu does, a purposely-built audiophile network transport -- but on the go.

The Poly price point would be more justified if Chord includes an output "dongle" that will let you connect the Poly with other DACs that are not Mojo. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #119 of 19,116
Turning wifi on the phone Constsntly also lowers phone battery... They just couldn't of slapped a screen on it could they

"Just slap a screen on it" is an incredibly mind warping oversimplification.... The amount of added infrastructure needed for that is insane. Now you need a (faster) processor with a specific architecture so you can run the OS you now need, RAM, disk storage, etc. etc. etc.

Poly makes a great case study of a business that rushes to market with a "complementary" product to increase revenue on the back of the success they had with a previous product. It's a little selfish and money-driven, but at least there is some good engineering here in getting two RF transceivers and a mixed signal board design into a small package like this. I'll wait until I see the measurements before I decide whether or not it was well executed though. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #120 of 19,116
what kind of measurements... isn't it hundred percent certain, that the transport won't affect the sound? :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back