Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jan 6, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #136 of 18,757
Well, microSD is a slowly dying format. Due to their limit in capacity and speed, manufacturers such as Samsung started to move away and develop new storage format such as UFS 2.0. Even if they continue to increase its capacity, Poly won't be able to read them. This is not just for Poly though. All DAPs are now at a weird transition state between technologies. USB-C port, MQA files, streaming services, etc.

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #138 of 18,757
  I think that Poly is a good idea that has bad design choices.

1- I can say that Tidal CD quality is far better than the flac files which you get by ripping CDs in your computer.

If you use ExactAudioCopy software you get a 100% ripped copy of the CD file.
Please explain to the rest of us, how Tidal achieves better quality?

confused.gif

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #139 of 18,757
This add on module costs more than mojo! :-S

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #140 of 18,757
No your not correct in that assumption. The chipset for 5GHz costs about three times as much so you'd like us to make Poly even more expensive then I guess. Everyone has 2.4 GHz and will have for years to come so we made the right choice.

Please. Tell me any major consumer electronics that don't support 5Ghz these days. 2.4Ghz is super congested now and their bandwidth is so much narrower than 5Ghz.

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #141 of 18,757

If you use ExactAudioCopy software you get a 100% ripped copy of the CD file.
Please explain to the rest of us, how Tidal achieves better quality?

confused.gif

​Well, Tidal has got MQA and high resolution lossless streaming now up to 96kHz from the desktop app.

I don't believe Tidal can output to DLNA, can it? AirPlay is 44.1kHz. Is it going to be possible to stream hi-rez from Tidal via WiFi in any way?

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #143 of 18,757
Bet you've a phone in your hand while your writing that.

Sometimes people want to relax and not use a phone, to be bothered by notifications ect.

The existence of this Poly is definitely nice and for some extra useful.

But I just hoped it was priced less than mojo.... It's just kind of weird... Idk.

It looks like most have opted out allready

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #145 of 18,757
No your not correct in that assumption. The chipset for 5GHz costs about three times as much so you'd like us to make Poly even more expensive then I guess. Everyone has 2.4 GHz and will have for years to come so we made the right choice.

Unit cost difference for a full TI SoC is $5.... with a 3x multiple you're talking about a $15 increase in retail price. And this comparing a 2.4GHz/5GHz 802.11 + integrated bluetooth transceiver with a simple rinky-dink 2.4GHz 802.11 transceiver chip... If I spent some time finding an apples-to-apples comparison, I'm sure I could narrow the price gap even more. 

The 2.4GHz spectrum is way too cluttered... and many home wireless routers do not have multiple radios to support bridged 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks (I bet a few do though).... 5GHz would have been a better solution.

I was really hoping your answer was going to be related to performance... That's disappointing. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #146 of 18,757
Sometimes people want to relax and not use a phone, to be bothered by notifications ect.

The existence of this Poly is definitely nice and for some extra useful.

But I just hoped it was priced less than mojo.... It's just kind of weird... Idk.

It looks like most have opted out allready

I had been considering getting a sonore microrendu, to use as my future music source.

The Poly looks like it could also be a standalone competitor for the microrendu. Put in that context, the Poly price is more reasonable.
This does require that one can use the Poly in standalone mode, and connect it via usb cable to other devices - but only @Mojo ideas can answer that question.

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #147 of 18,757

There were many people complaining about hearing clicks, buzzes and other electronic noise, when connecting their Mojo and phone, using a usb cable.

The Poly potentially offers the chance to remove all the sources of electronic phone noise, from the equation, but people still question if the sound will be better.
True that the real test will be hearing and measuring, but we will have to wait a few months for users to form a consensus on the issue.

Unless the clicks and buzzes were a result of using the Atmel uC software based control for the USB... in which case they would still be present. 

But as you say, we will need to wait for users to make measurements. Because for some reason no vendors in this part of the industry publish performance measurements for some reason. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #148 of 18,757

I had been considering getting a sonore microrendu, to use as my future music source.

The Poly looks like it could also be a standalone competitor for the microrendu. Put in that context, the Poly price is more reasonable.
This does require that one can use the Poly in standalone mode, and connect it via usb cable to other devices - but only @Mojo ideas can answer that question.

I posted similar comment a few pages back. Yes, 100% completely agree.

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #149 of 18,757
Yes, I don't think SD cards are going away anytime soon. Yes, streaming is definitely gaining ground, but people still own music, still buy it, etc. Streaming is great, but having your own music is as well.

I stream but also make use of the off-line storage to not use all my limited 4G. That still needs local storage be it in the phone or on the Mojo/Poly.

I tend to keep the streamed Offline content in my phones memory while I have a selection of 96/24 & DSD tracks stored on SD card so the Poly can store that instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back