Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jan 6, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #92 of 18,752
Exactly this! Unless I'm over simplifying, it means you won't need a cable to connect mojo to your phone. 500quid is an awful lot for 'convenience'. I have to say, I'm disappointed. I love my Mojo and I was genuinely excited by the prospect of the sd module but the cost is mental for what it delivers.

So for £499 which in my opinion is about £300 too expensive I would still need a phone to play music?  What is the point in this then?  Surely the ability to play direct from this would be on near enough every mojo owners wish list even if it was just a play button and shuffled every track (like an ipod shuffle) but Chord have decided to make it a wireless play unit that you need to connect a phone via Bluetooth to play anything through it?

Is £499 definitely correct and not the cost of this & a mojo combined I cant see how an accessory can cost more that the device that will use it, that seems mental

Jan 6, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #94 of 18,752
  Just buy decent DAP with two SD slots. One card slot OK if user has library mostly of mp3 and 44.1/16, but more users and growing have lots of dsf and highest resolutionPCM files at and those files are space hogs. MQA files save space, but DSD/highest resolution PCM selection infinitely better. How many MQA files does music direct and acoustic sounds sell?

Torrent music - for those who don't mind inviting Russia/Ukraine/North Korea hackers into their digital world.

That's the issue, reason why we use a Mojo is because we love its sound (and cant afford a Hugo 2
biggrin.gif
 )  We wanted a small storage/display/interface/controls with Wifi/BT add-on (ideally with Spotify/Tidal playback support).

I'm not prepared to move from Mojo, just change the device that feeds music to it.  Take a Sony ZX1 design and build that around the Mojo DAC/AMP and you have a winner. Will just stick with using my Z5mini unless the Poly does stuff I don't understand correctly.

Jan 6, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #95 of 18,752
To me the Poly looks like a fantastic addition to the Mojo universe. Not sure why so many find it pointless or too expensive (of course, a price higher than the Mojo surprised me, but it is not the end of the world). I am mostly using my Mojo as my main DAC at home. At the moment this is less than ideal from a user experience perspective, where you have to unplug certain cables from the Mojo in order to stream computer audio or Spotify streaming. Me and my girlfriend are both using this setup and it is simply too cumbersome and fiddly to constantly do this + switching inputs on the receiver.

To be able to both use Airplay AND store a big part of our music library on this device is just simply mind blowing. To not having to deal with a computer running constantly in order to listen to hi-res music library. Man oh man, I am drooling already. All other solutions out there which I have looked at, are both more cumbersome AND expensive.

Plan right now is to get Poly + finally get a NAS + turn off computer.

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #96 of 18,752
Will wait and see some hands on reviews. But would like to know if when playing from sd card. If the smart phone which is essentially a remote control now. will control volume of mojo. Don't mind using phone that way. But having to use phone and then reach in pocket to adjust volume would kind of be pointless. But putting some iem's in and putting mojo poly in pocket and forgetting about it. Might acually be worth it for me.

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #97 of 18,752
Will wait and see some hands on reviews. But would like to know if when playing from sd card. If the smart phone which is essentially a remote control now. will control volume of mojo. Don't mind using phone that way. But having to use phone and then reach in pocket to adjust volume would kind of be pointless. But putting some iem's in and putting mojo poly in pocket and forgetting about it. Might acually be worth it for me.

In other thread John Franks said phone will also control volume so looking more interesting as more info comes out.

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #98 of 18,752
I was waiting for Fiio to make their T3 happen, but Poly happened first. It's a bit disappointing that it only has one microSD card slot. If it had two or, even better, a full SD card slot, I would have jumped the ship. Also, I can't find if it supports any Bluetooth codecs such as apt-x or Sony's LDAC. Does anyone know? And one tiny aspect of it that bothers me is that it doesn't support Wi-Fi 5Ghz. It has much less congestion, higher data bandwidth, and better close ranged (as it would be in most cases when using Poly). Anyways, I'm waiting for the reviews to start rolling out. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #99 of 18,752
This is the biggest disapponintment in a long time. I don't mind the price, but what about proper built-in controls and a screen?

I want a device to do a thing in the right way, no multiple interconnected devices to do the same but much worse.

I will wait for the theorical real DAP made by Chord or for a real SD module for Mojo.

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #101 of 18,752
  Excellent DAP's available now especially if one stays wired. I don't see big whoop with wireless given its file resolution limits, but yeah the masses are aok with mp3's and 44.1.

I totally understand your point that there are many excellent DAPs now available, and wireless isn't the be-all and end-all of music listening (I, myself, am quite old-skool), but, when suitably configured, it can be incredibly versatile, and will become more and more widely-used, both mobile and in-the-home.

It's important to remember that, although Poly offers wireless functionality, it will also read music at the highest resolutions one can reasonably find, from an inserted microSD card, and feed it directly to Mojo, but controlled by a smartphone. There is no DAP on the market, no matter how expensive or elite, which will embarrass Poly+Mojo+microSD, in relation to non-wireless music-data-crunching. Not in terms of level of resolution of music data input, nor in terms of resolution of reconstruction of the original analogue waveform that was encoded digitally.

Undoubtedly, Poly won't suit everyone, but, even as someone who isn't a wireless fanatic, myself, I feel people may be underestimating how flexible Poly can be.

I'm as interested as anyone else, as to how Poly will be received, in the fullness of time, and after the reactionary arm-waving has calmed down and people taken a serious, in-depth look at what it is actually capable of.

beerchug.gif

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #102 of 18,752
Amen Mython, I am a 100% with you on this one. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #103 of 18,752
Well I for one am especially looking forward to this release. Even if you forgot about the "streaming" side of this addon, you have your SD Card. 256GB card full of FLAC files that are playing directly through the MoJo and track selection and browsing is done on your mobile phone. That alone for me is awesome. Instead of having to have a cable going to my MoJo from the phone and then headphone cables I just grab my phone select a track and boom, playing at exceptional quality straight to my earphones from the MoJo.

To pack this amount of tech into this small device is no mean feat and it compliments MoJo nicely. I can guarantee that this unit fits the bill for many, many people but for others it won't. You can't win them all, but I for one am looking forward to Poly and whatever "future addons" are coming for other Chord devices :D

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #104 of 18,752
Well I for one am especially looking forward to this release. Even if you forgot about the "streaming" side of this addon, you have your SD Card. 256GB card full of FLAC files that are playing directly through the MoJo and track selection and browsing is done on your mobile phone. That alone for me is awesome. Instead of having to have a cable going to my MoJo from the phone and then headphone cables I just grab my phone select a track and boom, playing at exceptional quality straight to my earphones from the MoJo.

To pack this amount of tech into this small device is no mean feat and it compliments MoJo nicely. I can guarantee that this unit fits the bill for many, many people but for others it won't. You can't win them all, but I for one am looking forward to Poly and whatever "future addons" are coming for other Chord devices :D

If it had pauas/rewind/forward on the Poly for SD playback I would be more ol with it. But it doesn't, and the price is more than the actual dac.

I guess it is what it is. Not even slightly exiting

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #105 of 18,752

I totally understand your point that there are many excellent DAPs now available, and wireless isn't the be-all and end-all of music listening (I, myself, am quite old-skool), but, when suitably configured, it can be incredibly versatile, and will become more and more widely-used, both mobile and in-the-home.

It's important to remember that, although Poly offers wireless functionality, it will also read music at the highest resolutions one can reasonably find, from an inserted microSD card, and feed it directly to Mojo, but controlled by a smartphone. There is no DAP on the market, no matter how expensive or elite, which will embarrass Poly+Mojo+microSD, in relation to non-wireless music-data-crunching. Not in terms of level of resolution of music data input, nor in terms of resolution of reconstruction of the original analogue waveform that was encoded digitally.

Undoubtedly, Poly won't suit everyone, but, even as someone who isn't a wireless fanatic, myself, I feel people may be underestimating how flexible Poly can be.

I'm as interested as anyone else, as to how Poly will be received, in the fullness of time, and after the reactionary arm-waving has calmed down and people taken a serious, in-depth look at what it is actually capable of.

beerchug.gif

You mean Poly+mojo+MicroSD+ PHONE............if you are going to play off just sd, why don't you just get a wm1a and be done with it? It is generally accepted that it performs at a higher level than the mojo........and also has 128 gigs of internal memory and you can add 256gb. Also has 33 hours of battery life compared to like 7 hours....., is built like a tank, and is much easier to use and carry? I don't get how anyone could justify the poly outside of its wireless capability as a streamer, which can be solved really with a raspbery pi3 for much cheaper....... also with a purchase of a mojo + poly, its the same cost? Also you can use your phone to stream tidal directly connected(oh wait nvm...rf interference...still needs wifi). If people are so keen on using the mojo solely as a desktop dac, which many people are, with the cost of the Poly, you can stretch and grab a Schiit gungnir or chord 2qute, or even a used chord hugo(if you are keen on upgrading that path). 

The problem with poly is that, while it is flexible, it doesn't do excel at doing anything better for the price that its asked. Poly doesn't make mojo dac any better..same performance, if you are streaming at home...cheap raspberry pi3 does the job, If you want to use it on the go.....not great battery life and bulky.....Sony wm1a does it better.......

as for phil w's comment....I don't see why that's awesome? you have your phone, you have mojo and poly in one pocket, but your iem cable is still dangling out of the pocket or wherever you put it. and then you have to use your phone in wifi to control the mojo........I would rather have a dap i just pull out and switch and do everything. Better yet a dap that has physical buttons on the side like sony on the side so I don't have to take it out of my pocket. Thats not to mention....how warm the mojo/poly will get...><

Apple was genius not because of its Great great innovativeness but its ability to bring features that were useful, easy to use, and simple.

I can't believe stacking a phone with a mojo is easier than setting your whole poly up, getting app on the phone. Turn Poly mojo on, plug headphones in, put in pocket....iem cable dangling, turn wifi on, find your favorite wifi app. then use your phone everytime you want to switch track and volume, to do so, you have to turn on phone, access app....do what you want....also less battery life for your already short lived battery phones(meaning charge everyday).............like how can anyone say that's innovative use of mobile listening. 

If its completely wireless yes, but its a mix of wireless and WIRed with the iem or headphone...I don't know how people think its totally wireless operation with music magically coming to your ears while the block stays in bag and you just use the phone.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back