Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jul 1, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #13,711 of 18,821
^
Wrap said gonads in tin foil. Explain reason to TSA.
or at least coat them generously in vics vapour rub.
images

Jul 1, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #13,713 of 18,821
Jul 1, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #13,715 of 18,821
is there a reason to use wifi versus bluetooth while flying .....my flight has basic free wifi ....gonna guess that sucks big time but maybe enough to run bubble app?

Poly only likes basic WiFi login (SSID and password). Anything that requires a web login like flight WiFi and hotel WiFi won't work.

For a flight, the hotspot mode off the poly would allow you to use the UPnP and DLNA functions. If you have an SD card filled with music and playlists, the bluetooth connection through GoFigure will allow to you choose and start a playlist.

I'm not aware on how you could tether the Poly to your phone and plane WiFi to stream.

Jul 2, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #13,717 of 18,821
I hope that when you last updated, some of your system files were not accidently copied to the SD card. Are you using 2.03 or an earlier version? I think @Matt Bartlett posted that 2.03 is safe from saving system files to SD card.
If you put a blank new SD card in poly, can you see the poly now, even if no music?

Jul 2, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #13,719 of 18,821
Poly only likes basic WiFi login (SSID and password). Anything that requires a web login like flight WiFi and hotel WiFi won't work.

For a flight, the hotspot mode off the poly would allow you to use the UPnP and DLNA functions. If you have an SD card filled with music and playlists, the bluetooth connection through GoFigure will allow to you choose and start a playlist.

I'm not aware on how you could tether the Poly to your phone and plane WiFi to stream.

Most public WiFi (like you have in hotels and on planes ) will only allow basic internet access rather than all the required ports and protocols for device sharing to work. Clearly you wouldn't want a device like Poly to be seen or available to everyone else in the hotel.
Technically you could create a WiFi bridge using a laptop that would connect to the public WiFi for internet access but then allow Poly to connect locally to the laptop to maintain an internet connection for streaming services like Tidal. However in most cases you just need the ability to play music from the SD card or from local content on the phone and this can be achieved by putting Poly in hotspot mode so it generates it's own local WiFi network you can connect your phone to. Then you can use DLNA/UPnP ( BubbleUPnP) or Airplay.
If you don't want to or can't use WiFi ( most airlines now allow WiFi use once in flight ) then you can use the QuickPlay function to play your playlists directly from the SD card in Poly.
This uses Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) and requires no WiFi or setup other than opening Gofigure and scanning for Poly.
Finally as a very last resort then you can use traditional Bluetooth audio with music stored on your phone.

Hope this helps to give some options whilst travelling.

Jul 2, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #13,720 of 18,821
is there a reason to use wifi versus bluetooth while flying .....my flight has basic free wifi ....gonna guess that sucks big time but maybe enough to run bubble app?

As Matt pointed out, you wouldn’t use the in-flight WiFi, but Poly’s hotspot mode. You likely wouldn’t be using your phone anyway, so connecting it to Poly’s network will provide the best sound. I (still) cant speak to the BT SQ, as I haven’t used it.

Jul 2, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #13,721 of 18,821
I put the gofigure in hotspot mode but I play albums direct from bubble up and not thru gofigure quickplay.....does bubble up not work when gofigure is in hotspot mode to get the mojo poly to play music? ....I started a playlist white album in bubble up but doesnt show in gofigure quickplay.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #13,722 of 18,821
I put the gofigure in hotspot mode but I play albums direct from bubble up and not thru gofigure quickplay.....does bubble up not work when gofigure is in hotspot mode to get the mojo poly to play music? ....I started a playlist white album in bubble up but doesnt show in gofigure quickplay.

I had to use an MPD remote program (soundirok for iOS) to create playlists that showed up on GoFigure quickplay. I couldn't get the playlists created on my upnp or DLNA player (glider or mconnect player) to show up on quickplay. Nor could I get m3u playlists created by any other means to show up on quickplay. Maybe Matt will chime in again to clarify.

Jul 3, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #13,723 of 18,821
I had to use an MPD remote program (soundirok for iOS) to create playlists that showed up on GoFigure quickplay. I couldn't get the playlists created on my upnp or DLNA player (glider or mconnect player) to show up on quickplay. Nor could I get m3u playlists created by any other means to show up on quickplay. Maybe Matt will chime in again to clarify.

Hi. Did you try updating the database via Gofigure. Providing the playlists are simple m3u and stored on the SD card they should show. Glider used to work but I haven't tried recently.

Jul 3, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #13,724 of 18,821
Most public WiFi (like you have in hotels and on planes ) will only allow basic internet access rather than all the required ports and protocols for device sharing to work. Clearly you wouldn't want a device like Poly to be seen or available to everyone else in the hotel.
Technically you could create a WiFi bridge using a laptop that would connect to the public WiFi for internet access but then allow Poly to connect locally to the laptop to maintain an internet connection for streaming services like Tidal. However in most cases you just need the ability to play music from the SD card or from local content on the phone and this can be achieved by putting Poly in hotspot mode so it generates it's own local WiFi network you can connect your phone to. Then you can use DLNA/UPnP ( BubbleUPnP) or Airplay.
If you don't want to or can't use WiFi ( most airlines now allow WiFi use once in flight ) then you can use the QuickPlay function to play your playlists directly from the SD card in Poly.
This uses Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) and requires no WiFi or setup other than opening Gofigure and scanning for Poly.
Finally as a very last resort then you can use traditional Bluetooth audio with music stored on your phone.

Hope this helps to give some options whilst travelling.

I am SHOCKED that this has not been discussed here and solves ALL the Poly travel issues.

POLY can be used on any network very easily... either with mconnect or ROON.... even with web signin

BUT you need a galaxy device.

In the mobile hotspot menus... samsung devices allow you to do "wifi sharing" essentially if the android device is connected to any network.... like whole foods or a hotel... after you go through the web sign in on a galaxy the phone then allows you to create your own network... with any name and PWD.

from here you just log into this network with your laptop. fire up roon.

BOOM... you are listening to Roon at Whole Foods drinking some kombucha checking out the chicks.

connect direct to the galaxy with poly and fire up your fav dlna player and stream tidal or qobuz hirez... no more issues.

i keep a galaxy s10e in my bag just for this and use my iphone hotspot when walking around to listen to hirez via mconnect over LTE.

a shame apple does not have this wifi share feature.... its killer and an absolute MUST for poly and ARE NOT using mobile data... wifi sharing hijacks the network and allows you to create and name your own personal net... then connect all devices to this.

SWEEEET!

I am in a hotel lobby connected to their internet in Waikiki writing this now listening to Roon via Poly all connected to my S10E which is connected to the hotel network.

MOJOHI.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #13,725 of 18,821
I am SHOCKED that this has not been discussed here and solves ALL the Poly travel issues.

POLY can be used on any network very easily... either with mconnect or ROON.... even with web signin

BUT you need a galaxy device.

In the mobile hotspot menus... samsung devices allow you to do "wifi sharing" essentially if the android device is connected to any network.... like whole foods or a hotel... after you go through the web sign in on a galaxy the phone then allows you to create your own network... with any name and PWD.

from here you just log into this network with your laptop. fire up roon.

BOOM... you are listening to Roon at Whole Foods drinking some kombucha checking out the chicks.

connect direct to the galaxy with poly and fire up your fav dlna player and stream tidal or qobuz hirez... no more issues.

i keep a galaxy s10e in my bag just for this and use my iphone hotspot when walking around to listen to hirez via mconnect over LTE.

a shame apple does not have this wifi share feature.... its killer and an absolute MUST for poly and ARE NOT using mobile data... wifi sharing hijacks the network and allows you to create and name your own personal net... then connect all devices to this.

SWEEEET!

I am in a hotel lobby connected to their internet in Waikiki writing this now listening to Roon via Poly all connected to my S10E which is connected to the hotel network.

Hi @mightyKyn Thanks for confirming this. It's great to know that WiFi bridging is available on some Android devices now. As I mentioned in a previous post I have been using this method via my Windows laptop/tablet for a while now but via a phone is even better. Let's hope Apple do something similar!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back