Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
May 18, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #13,441 of 18,757
@Matt Bartlett, I'm trying this again thinking that maybe it would be doable since the release of the Poly firmware and Gofigure upgrade. I went through the steps in the manual, set up a 9 digit numeric password, and attempted to launch Roon in hotspot mode. Unfortunately, I get the same results. The Poly does not show as an available zone.

I'd also like to get this to work as I'm attempting to use Roon running with my core on my laptop (my usual core is my NAS) so I can enjoy Roon when traveling and off my WiFi network. I can't get to that stage until I can run Roon to run in hotspot mode.

I think Poly and Roon would both have to be on the same network AND Roon would have to have access to the internet, so probably not possible using Poly’s hot spot mode. But it you have a phone hotspot, you could connect both Poly and your Roon core to that network and it should work. Maybe I’m wrong, which would be cool.

May 18, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #13,442 of 18,757
I think Poly and Roon would both have to be on the same network AND Roon would have to have access to the internet, so probably not possible using Poly’s hot spot mode. But it you have a phone hotspot, you could connect both Poly and your Roon core to that network and it should work. Maybe I’m wrong, which would be cool.

I tried that while traveling to Denver this week. But that was before setting Poly with the required password that Matt spoke about in the quoted text in my post above. I'll try it again in the next day or so.

May 19, 2019 at 7:23 AM Post #13,444 of 18,757
@Matt Bartlett, I'm trying this again thinking that maybe it would be doable since the release of the Poly firmware and Gofigure upgrade. I went through the steps in the manual, set up a 9 digit numeric password, and attempted to launch Roon in hotspot mode. Unfortunately, I get the same results. The Poly does not show as an available zone.

I'd also like to get this to work as I'm attempting to use Roon running with my core on my laptop (my usual core is my NAS) so I can enjoy Roon when traveling and off my WiFi network. I can't get to that stage until I can run Roon to run in hotspot mode.

Hi @DavidW I tried this again and you are correct since all the updates with Roon and Poly it is not possible to use the Roon remote using Polys hotspot (or via phone tethering). However there is no problem controlling or using Roon directly from the core software running on the laptop. As I mentioned before this is how we often demonstrate Poly at shows where we have no internet access. The only issue is of course you will have no streaming services such as Tidal or Qobuz.
So ignore the Roon remote running on your phone for the moment and try just using the laptop with the Roon core connected to Poly's WiFi hotspot.

Also just one other question/puzzle - you mentioned you used a 9 digit numeric password for Poly's hotspot. This isn't possible. You have to have a minimum of 12 characters in the Poly hotspot password to meet the security requirements for WiFi.

May 19, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #13,445 of 18,757
HI all....I just received my Poly and updated it to firmware 2.0. After some tinkering, I finally have it playing pretty stably using Glider when connecting to my iPhoneX via Wifi; I'm just trying to understand what some of it means:

> First.... If I want to stream iTunes; I select the - Speaker Icon MTs_Poly - from the output drop down, press play on any song in iTunes and I hear my music out of the Mojo...no problem here, pretty intuitive

Using Glider:

> When I tap the output selector, I get 4 choices: 1) MPD Player @ IP Address, 2) MPD Player [UPnP] @ IP Address, 3) iPhone, 4) Other Options; Other options then shows a) iPhone and b) Speaker MTs_Poly

> In order for my FLAC and DSD files to play properly from my SD Card, I must have both 1) MPD Player @IP Address (non UPnP) and 2) iPhone in Other Options selected (checked).

> Not exactly sure why I have 2 different network sources listed; 1) the one I named -> MTs_Poly and 2) MPD Player @ IP Address ?

> I also found that Glider seems to choke when I use consolidate outputs and play a file which is consolidated, so I disabled this for now.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

~Marc

IMG_2597.PNG IMG_2598.PNG IMG_2599.PNG IMG_2596.PNG

Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #13,446 of 18,757
HI all....I just received my Poly and updated it to firmware 2.0. After some tinkering, I finally have it playing pretty stably using Glider when connecting to my iPhoneX via Wifi; I'm just trying to understand what some of it means:

> First.... If I want to stream iTunes; I select the - Speaker Icon MTs_Poly - from the output drop down, press play on any song in iTunes and I hear my music out of the Mojo...no problem here, pretty intuitive

Using Glider:

> When I tap the output selector, I get 4 choices: 1) MPD Player @ IP Address, 2) MPD Player [UPnP] @ IP Address, 3) iPhone, 4) Other Options; Other options then shows a) iPhone and b) Speaker MTs_Poly

> In order for my FLAC and DSD files to play properly from my SD Card, I must have both 1) MPD Player @IP Address (non UPnP) and 2) iPhone in Other Options selected (checked).

> Not exactly sure why I have 2 different network sources listed; 1) the one I named -> MTs_Poly and 2) MPD Player @ IP Address ?

> I also found that Glider seems to choke when I use consolidate outputs and play a file which is consolidated, so I disabled this for now.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

~Marc

I’m sure @Matt Bartlett knows the ins and outs, but since the update I’ve been using Glider with the “MPD Player @ IP address” option (non-consolidated) and haven’t had any issues. I think Matt was trying to reach Joe (the Glider developer) to see if he could update the app.

May 19, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #13,447 of 18,757
I’m sure @Matt Bartlett knows the ins and outs, but since the update I’ve been using Glider with the “MPD Player @ IP address” option (non-consolidated) and haven’t had any issues. I think Matt was trying to reach Joe (the Glider developer) to see if he could update the app.

Thanks for the reply, I will wait for @Matt Bartlett but at least I've seemed to figure out a common path to stability. Took a some trial and error...a lot of error and head scratching, but everything sounds just fine and was well worth the challenge. Also, I don't get any album art with DSD .Dsf files, I saw an old post saying it was a known issue, could not find any fix or further discussion. Thanks again.

Last edited:
May 20, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #13,448 of 18,757
Hey there audio fans,

I’ve previously owned a Mojo and have been contemplating picking up the Mojo-Poly combo. I’ve been reading over this thread, reviews and the manuals on the Chord site.

For on the go use I’m mainly only interested in playing off the microSD card, using an iPhone to control playback.

So from what I understand, to do this you would need to (correct me if this is wrong):
* connect to Poly either via AirPlay or with Poly as a hot spot - people seem to be having trouble with the hot spot option so I’d probably use AirPlay.
* Via the GoFigure app, set Poly to “everything else”/ non-Roon option
* The QuickPlay feature on GoFigure only allows control of playlists, not the whole microSD card contents, so you need another app to control non-playlist playback
* MPD apps provide better gapless playback than UPnP from what people on this thread have written
* So for iPhone using 8player (which Chord mention in the user manual) gives you a free app with MPD playback (and there are other options in the App Store).

I haven’t got Roon but am curious with all the fan support it has. So if you go for the Roon ready playback option, and install Roon as a client on your phone, you still need the main host device of your Roon account - e.g. PC at home - to be on all the time for your phone to be able to play Roon tracks to the MojoPoly (when you’re out and about) is that correct? Seems like a huge weakness for ease of use of Roon. Also, both phone and MojoPoly need to be connected to same WiFi for Roon to work - do people just set their phone to hotspot, connect Poly to the phone and use cell data? My music collection is mainly from burnt CDs and Bandcamp downloads, so there’s probably not much bonus for me in using Roon when I could just copy the files to a microSD card.

May 20, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #13,449 of 18,757
Thanks for the reply, I will wait for @Matt Bartlett but at least I've seemed to figure out a common path to stability. Took a some trial and error...a lot of error and head scratching, but everything sounds just fine and was well worth the challenge. Also, I don't get any album art with DSD .Dsf files, I saw an old post saying it was a known issue, could not find any fix or further discussion. Thanks again.

Hi, Poly has the ability to play via multiple methods and protocols. In Glider the network playback options allow you to play via DLNA/UPnP but also MPD. In general MPD is better as it is the most direct route and uses the player built into Poly, also until the recent V2.0 firmware update MPD was the only way to play DSD music unless you used Roon.

The reason you see 2 network sources is that you will see the UPnP/DLNA server and then the MPD server in Poly and they work in different ways. When Joe built Glider he decided to include as many options as possible so that it didn't matter which server your music was coming from and the consolidate output function was designed to remove the confusion so you have one output for all the different options. Glider would choose the best method based on the track you wanted to play. Jarnopp is correct though Glider does need an update.
Anyway as you have found the best method to you I would just leave it and enjoy the music!

May 20, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #13,451 of 18,757
Hey there audio fans,

I’ve previously owned a Mojo and have been contemplating picking up the Mojo-Poly combo. I’ve been reading over this thread, reviews and the manuals on the Chord site.

For on the go use I’m mainly only interested in playing off the microSD card, using an iPhone to control playback.

So from what I understand, to do this you would need to (correct me if this is wrong):
* connect to Poly either via AirPlay or with Poly as a hot spot - people seem to be having trouble with the hot spot option so I’d probably use AirPlay.
* The QuickPlay feature on GoFigure only allows control of playlists, not the whole microSD card contents, so you need another app to control non-playlist playback
* MPD apps provide better gapless playback than UPnP from what people on this thread have written
* So for iPhone using 8player (which Chord mention in the user manual) gives you a free app with MPD playback (and there are other options in the App Store).

I haven’t got Roon but am curious with all the fan support it has. So if you go for the Roon ready playback option, and install Roon as a client on your phone, you still need the main host device of your Roon account - e.g. PC at home - to be on all the time for your phone to be able to play Roon tracks to the MojoPoly (when you’re out and about) is that correct? Seems like a huge weakness for ease of use of Roon. Also, both phone and MojoPoly need to be connected to same WiFi for Roon to work - do people just set their phone to hotspot, connect Poly to the phone and use cell data? My music collection is mainly from burnt CDs and Bandcamp downloads, so there’s probably not much bonus for me in using Roon when I could just copy the files to a microSD card.
Roon doesn’t play remotely yet. i.e. from your core at home to your end point when you are away

May 20, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #13,452 of 18,757
Hey there audio fans,

HI...

1) You connect Poly via WiFi, Poly's Hotspot or Bluetooth. The latter is ok but not optimal for best sound quality.

2) If you connect your phone to Poly's hotspot, you won't be able to access the internet (with your phone) unless you perform a simple modification to the network configuration. Just Youtube Chord Poly hybrid mode.

3) The suggested method is connecting Poly to your iPhone's WiFi hotspot when on the go.

4) Non Roon option off or Everything Else....well.... if you don't want or use Roon.

5) If you want a simple iTunes like interface for playback, download Glider and forget the rest of the players in my option.

6) You can also stream iTunes or your mobile music streamer of choice as well with Poly

I was in the same boat, I wanted the best portable device to deliver my music during my commute. I've been using my Hugo/AK120 via optical connection for some time, the platform is a little big and no iTunes playback. The Poly/Mojo combo gives you a much smaller footprint...I can stream iTunes through my Mojo which improves the sonic quality immensely as well as my HD library, controlling it all with my iPhone. The setup using GoFigure is quite simple, the worst part is waiting for it all to finish charging before you can use it.

May 20, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #13,453 of 18,757
HI...

1) You connect Poly via WiFi, Poly's Hotspot or Bluetooth. The latter is ok but not optimal for best sound quality.

2) If you connect your phone to Poly's hotspot, you won't be able to access the internet (with your phone) unless you perform a simple modification to the network configuration. Just Youtube Chord Poly hybrid mode.

3) The suggested method is connecting Poly to your iPhone's WiFi hotspot when on the go.

4) Non Roon option off or Everything Else....well.... if you don't want or use Roon.

5) If you want a simple iTunes like interface for playback, download Glider and forget the rest of the players in my option.

6) You can also stream iTunes or your mobile music streamer of choice as well with Poly

I was in the same boat, I wanted the best portable device to deliver my music during my commute. I've been using my Hugo/AK120 via optical connection for some time, the platform is a little big and no iTunes playback. The Poly/Mojo combo gives you a much smaller footprint...I can stream iTunes through my Mojo which improves the sonic quality immensely as well as my HD library, controlling it all with my iPhone. The setup using GoFigure is quite simple, the worst part is waiting for it all to finish charging before you can use it.
Many thanks, that’s great help :)

May 21, 2019 at 3:37 AM Post #13,454 of 18,757
Anyone with have a problem with Poly randomly disappearing froom available network sources in roon? Then not becoming available again

It’s happened a couple of times now. Both roon core - my MacBook - and Poly are connected to home network and are stationary I.e it’s not that I’m moving about in a mesh network.

When it happens restarting Roon and Poly achieve nothing. Weirdly if I toggle roon mode off on Poly settings then roon can see but not play to Poly. When I toggle roon mode back on in go figure Poly disappears again.

It’s really odd and quite annoying. I like roon as I can see the bit rate disco ball change on MoJo.

In other news does anyone know whether it’s possible and/or likely for Apple to up the throughout of AirPlay to support higher than CD quality? My most common use case is IOS to Poly in Poly hotspot mode.

May 21, 2019 at 4:12 AM Post #13,455 of 18,757
In other news does anyone know whether it’s possible and/or likely for Apple to up the throughout of AirPlay to support higher than CD quality? My most common use case is IOS to Poly in Poly hotspot mode.
No - Airplay is a protocol with set definitions - audio is resampled / truncated to 16bit 44.1khz only. There's talk of Airplay 2 supporting 24bit 48khz, but its not up to the 24bit 96khz quality achievable with Chromecast.
There's been no talk of Poly supporting Airplay 2 that I've seen so I wouldn't get your hopes up!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back