Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jan 9, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #11,701 of 18,784
stream Spotify via Airplay to iPhone hotspot or Poly hotspot

Sorry, I don’t quite understand what you mean? I know you can stream to the Mojo-Poly with Spotify when on a WiFi connection. But say I’m roaming the streets, can I still stream to the Mojo-Poly from Spotify? I’m not talking Bluetooth, either.

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #11,703 of 18,784
do you have an iPhone?

Yep. Do I not have to be on a WiFi connection for AirPlay to work? I’m assume that’s where this is going?

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #11,704 of 18,784
you need to setup "Personal Hotpot" on your iPhone.

connect Poly (using GoFigure) to the wi-fi network SSID that you've chosen for your personal hotspot.

once it's connected, Spotify will see your Poly on the little local network you've created in your pants.

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #11,705 of 18,784
you need to setup "Personal Hotpot" on your iPhone.

connect Poly (using GoFigure) to the wi-fi network SSID that you've chosen for your personal hotspot.

once it's connected, Spotify will see your Poly on the little local network you've created in your pants.

I see. Well. I have one ordered so I’ll see if this works. If I’m tethering (I assume that’s what is meant by personal hotspot), that’ll drain my iphones battery like crazy.

Jan 9, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #11,708 of 18,784
I see. Well. I have one ordered so I’ll see if this works. If I’m tethering (I assume that’s what is meant by personal hotspot), that’ll drain my iphones battery like crazy.
You can setup poly as the hotspot, then it’s really consuming the battery
From poly rather than phone.

Jan 9, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #11,709 of 18,784
A bit of a clarification: Roon will not work when Poly is in its own hotspot mode. But Roon will work when Poly is in “network” (but non-Roon” mode. In this case, Roon will treat Poly as an Airplay device and stream to it like it would an Apple TV or Airport express or other non-Roon endpoint. But it won’t be using th RAAT transmission protocol Roon developed unless Poly is in Roon mode.

I've really have been enjoying Roon on the Poly for the last few weeks. I now understand from my initial questions that Roon must be on the same LAN and can't be used while out and about.

@jarnopp, I'm not following your explanation (quoted here) and perhaps it is associated with my new observation/question- it appears that I can only use Roon on the same LAN and in normal WiFi (not hotspot) mode. So if I come in from using Poly in hotspot mode, I have to launch Gofigure, switch from hotspot to normal WiFi mode, and then select Roon on the Poly. Is that the correct sequence? I initially thought that while in hotspot mode, I can toggle Roon on from Other, but Roon does not appear to load even though Gofigure allows me to toggle to Roon. So, the question is- how do I use the Poly to access Roon while in hotspot mode and on my LAN?

Jan 9, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #11,710 of 18,784
I've really have been enjoying Roon on the Poly for the last few weeks. I now understand from my initial questions that Roon must be on the same LAN and can't be used while out and about.

@jarnopp, I'm not following your explanation (quoted here) and perhaps it is associated with my new observation/question- it appears that I can only use Roon on the same LAN and in normal WiFi (not hotspot) mode. So if I come in from using Poly in hotspot mode, I have to launch Gofigure, switch from hotspot to normal WiFi mode, and then select Roon on the Poly. Is that the correct sequence? I initially thought that while in hotspot mode, I can toggle Roon on from Other, but Roon does not appear to load even though Gofigure allows me to toggle to Roon. So, the question is- how do I use the Poly to access Roon while in hotspot mode and on my LAN?

You are doing it correctly. My post was attempting to explain that you can also use Roon *not* in Roon mode. So in your scenario above, after you switch to normal Wi-Fi mode and you are on your network, if you do *not* select s mode, Roon will still see Poly and stream to it, but using Airplay protocol instead of the Roon RAAT protocol, which supports higher sample rates and may be a better overall protocol.

But Roon CAN work when Poly is in its own (via GoFigure) hot spot mode, IF THE ROON CORE IS ALSO CONNECTED TO POLY.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #11,711 of 18,784
If I’m out and about, is there anyway to stream via Spotify? Does this Spotify Connect outside of a home WiFi environment? I can’t find a definitive answer. But I’m guessing that it can only do this whilst running on the same WiFi network, which would be disappointing....

I used this set up for a while. The steps are (from memory):

• Put poly into hotspot mode
  • Connect iPhone to Poly Wifi network
  • Alter iPhone WiFi settings so that the phone works in “hybrid” mode. This is so that you can still access the internet while connected to Poly.
  • Open Spotify
  • Poly should then appear as an output target in the “Other devices” menu at the bottom. If you have multiple, look for the one with the speaker icon

I’ll be interested to see how you get on. I used this for a while but my walk across London from station to office would be filled with disconnects and glitches so I gave up. I’m waiting on the next firmware release before I try again. I suspect the glitches were poly or the iPhone scanning for networks.

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #11,712 of 18,784
You are doing it correctly. My post was attempting to explain that you can also use Roon *not* in Roon mode. So in your scenario above, after you switch to normal Wi-Fi mode and you are on your network, if you do *not* select s mode, Roon will still see Poly and stream to it, but using Airplay protocol instead of the Roon RAAT protocol, which supports higher sample rates and may be a better overall protocol.

But Roon will not work when Poly is in its own (via GoFigure) hot spot mode.

Hi @jarnopp
Poly should work with Roon when using it's own hotspot mode providing your Roon core computer is also connected to Poly's hotspot.
For simplicity at shows we often use Poly and Roon in this way so we don't have to use a separate router.

Jan 10, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #11,713 of 18,784
Hi @jarnopp
Poly should work with Roon when using it's own hotspot mode providing your Roon core computer is also connected to Poly's hotspot.
For simplicity at shows we often use Poly and Roon in this way so we don't have to use a separate router.
Top tip

Jan 10, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #11,714 of 18,784
Trying it now...

I connect the Poly in hotspot mode, connect my Roon core (on an old MacBook Pro) to the same WiFi connection as the Poly. At first I saw the Roon screen on my iPhone, but then I kept getting the "waiting for remote core" message. Am I missing a critical step?

IMG_0748.PNG Screen Shot 2019-01-10 at 7.14.42 AM.png File_001.png

Attachments

• File_001.png
    File_001.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 0
Jan 10, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #11,715 of 18,784
Trying it now...

I connect the Poly in hotspot mode, connect my Roon core (on an old MacBook Pro) to the same WiFi connection as the Poly. At first I saw the Roon screen on my iPhone, but then I kept getting the "waiting for remote core" message. Am I missing a critical step?

Check on your Roon core first whether you can see Poly as an available audio device. Then at least you know the core and Poly are connected. I'll admit I haven't used the Roon remote app for some time now as I could never get it to work that well. When I get a chance I will have another go and try set it up with Roon remote as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back