Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Aug 9, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #10,486 of 18,669
I cant speak to this specific case, but as a programmer, I often specifically avoid upgrading libraries or technology stacks once I am deep into a project. You might assume that upgrading would be as simple as just updating to the latest version, but there are very often problems in that API calls that used to work might not work, or any number of other issues that mean having to rewrite tons of code. Again, I cant say for certain in this case since I have no idea what their code base looks like, but if what you are saying is true, its entirely possible that they started with that stack when they first started developing it, and have been either focusing on other features first, or just avoiding upgrading because upgrading can often cause a whole bunch of extra work just to get it back to where it was before you upgraded.

Edit: I should also say though that if upgrading a library or technology stack is worth it, such as if it solves problems, that alone is often worth the effort. So, it may be in this case, it may not. Again, dont know. But I am still not surprised that its an older version being used, especially if thats what was being used when the whole project started.
That makes a lot of sense. I'm not a programmer and I'm sure you're right. But to a non-expert eye it does look as though quite a bit has changed with Bluetooth LE since the version that's on Poly. I'm just struggling to understand why Gofigure beta takes so long to connect - - and for me on Android 8 it often says it has lost the connection when in fact it hasn't. The cause of that may lie somewhere else entirely.

Aug 9, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #10,487 of 18,669
That makes a lot of sense. I'm not a programmer and I'm sure you're right. But to a non-expert eye it does look as though quite a bit has changed with Bluetooth LE since the version that's on Poly. I'm just struggling to understand why Gofigure beta takes so long to connect - - and for me on Android 8 it often says it has lost the connection when in fact it hasn't. The cause of that may lie somewhere else entirely.

Oh Im right there with you, it takes a long time to connect for me too. Often doesnt connect at all until I force close the app a few times. Its entirely possible that upgrading the bluetooth stack might help, its also possible that any updates since then are completely unrelated. Just was relaying that from a software development standpoint, upgrading libraries like that can be a huge headache and often a lot of work for no real reason, unless upgrading specifically fixes an issue.

Aug 10, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #10,488 of 18,669
I cant speak to this specific case, but as a programmer, I often specifically avoid upgrading libraries or technology stacks once I am deep into a project. You might assume that upgrading would be as simple as just updating to the latest version, but there are very often problems in that API calls that used to work might not work, or any number of other issues that mean having to rewrite tons of code. Again, I cant say for certain in this case since I have no idea what their code base looks like, but if what you are saying is true, its entirely possible that they started with that stack when they first started developing it, and have been either focusing on other features first, or just avoiding upgrading because upgrading can often cause a whole bunch of extra work just to get it back to where it was before you upgraded.

Edit: I should also say though that if upgrading a library or technology stack is worth it, such as if it solves problems, that alone is often worth the effort. So, it may be in this case, it may not. Again, dont know. But I am still not surprised that its an older version being used, especially if thats what was being used when the whole project started.
Then there is the case for security. I’m not sure if there has been any security related fixes since 2016, but it’s ususlly recommended to use the latest version of any components you depend upon.

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #10,489 of 18,669
could I please remind people to ask any questions about faults or glitches via the GoFigure feedback form... if you have posed a question in thread, please also submit the same question to the feedback form as this will help get problems resolved.

many thanks for your help.

Aug 10, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #10,490 of 18,669
Edit.

Ios, glider/8player to poly is no hoop jumping.

Its basically, turn on mojo, poly will start up, ( can skip this part, open gofigure or don’t ) use glider or 8player, set glider for airplay playback, speaker icon or select renderer for 8 player and push play.

A couple of pushes onscreen, works perfect for me.

I think what the problem is, is learning how poly works and what modes to be in. Once you get that down, its second nature. Turn on poly, select an app, select output, airplay or renderer, thats about it.

Thank you for the reply.

Maybe I am over simplifying my use case and experience. Last attempt to use was 22/07/18 at CanJam London

What I expect
1. Switch on Mojo/Poly
2. Decide from Phone which app I am going to use
3. Decide where I want to play music from (stream or SD Card)
4. Play (meaning everything I can normally play when my Mojo is attached to my DAP/Phone)
5. Enjoy

My experience was not as fluid, but I accept, it is a work in progress.
I had a little trouble connecting (at the time GoFigure was not available for Android).
1. Switch on Mojo/Poly - tick
2. Decide from Phone which app I am going to use - tick (BubbleUPNP or M.A.L.P) if any others available for Android please feel free to chip in.
3. Decide where I want to play music from (stream or SD Card) - tick (this, once connection was established as this stage took several attempts, was OK)
4. Play - Not everything on the SD card could be played, ie DSD
5. Enjoy - I hope to but admittedly not as convenient in use as I would like or as straightforward as a DAP

I couldn’t agree more. I considered selling both Mojo and Poly but I am glad I decided against it.

As an iOS user, I couldn’t imagine being without the pair- especially when out and about. Glider+Poly in hybrid mode is pretty much bulletproof now.

I would hope the Android experience will match up to your iOS experience (watching this space)

But still I do hold out for improvements in the user experience.
:smile_phones:

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #10,491 of 18,669
A SUMMARY OF MY SET UP. hope this will work for yours, too. :)
*Poly-Mojo + Galaxy Note8 (8.0.0) + GoFigure Android Beta
*Galaxy Note 8 as Hotspot or Poly as Hotspot (switching made easier by GoFigure Android)
*MALP for SD Card file playback and DSD File playback.
*Bubble UPnP for AK Connect Playback, EXCEPT DSD FILES. though with this last option, connection gets interrupted from time to time. so the HOTSPOT MODE is the most ideal for the AK Connect, as i have not experienced any interruptions until the battery of the PolyMojo is drained.
CHEERS!!!:L3000::L3000::L3000:

Aug 10, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #10,492 of 18,669
Thank you for the reply.

Maybe I am over simplifying my use case and experience. Last attempt to use was 22/07/18 at CanJam London

What I expect
1. Switch on Mojo/Poly
2. Decide from Phone which app I am going to use
3. Decide where I want to play music from (stream or SD Card)
4. Play (meaning everything I can normally play when my Mojo is attached to my DAP/Phone)
5. Enjoy

My experience was not as fluid, but I accept, it is a work in progress.
I had a little trouble connecting (at the time GoFigure was not available for Android).
1. Switch on Mojo/Poly - tick
2. Decide from Phone which app I am going to use - tick (BubbleUPNP or M.A.L.P) if any others available for Android please feel free to chip in.
3. Decide where I want to play music from (stream or SD Card) - tick (this, once connection was established as this stage took several attempts, was OK)
4. Play - Not everything on the SD card could be played, ie DSD
5. Enjoy - I hope to but admittedly not as convenient in use as I would like or as straightforward as a DAP

I would hope the Android experience will match up to your iOS experience (watching this space)

But still I do hold out for improvements in the user experience.
search the thread using 'dsd' as the search term.
There are many posts displayed, some of which may help you.
Not all apps will handle dsd, but some can if you change the settings, for example https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...on-1st-page-◄★☆.831347/page-515#post-14108675
Hope this helps

Aug 10, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #10,493 of 18,669
Then there is the case for security. I’m not sure if there has been any security related fixes since 2016, but it’s ususlly recommended to use the latest version of any components you depend upon.

Yes, that would be a worthwhile reason to upgrade. But, my point was simply that its easy to be an armchair programmer and call them out for using an older version, when the reality when doing programming is that its very often not the case that updating a library or technology stack is as easy as simply updating it, like you would update an app on your phone. Newer versions could have a new API that breaks all your old calls, requiring you to rewrite working code. It could have dependencies on other libraries that need to be updated or installed, each of which could have the same issues updating or installing. It could also simply be that newer versions are not compatible with the hardware they have chosen. No way to tell. I just wanted to point out that in this case, its easy to jump on chord for using outdated software, but the reality might be that using the updated software could require re-writing a large portion of things that already work, just to get it working in the same state.

I am not trying to make excuses for chord either. I have been very vocal about the extremely slow pace of software development and the lack of features. And I would love to see things up to date and running smoothly. But being a software developer myself, I can at least appreciate some of the difficulties that come along with it. That being said, at this point, the product is already released to us (for quite some time) and it would be great to have some kind of roadmap of whats being worked out. Would help stamp out some of this speculation.

And at least in terms of the android app, I have given my feedback through their form about the extremely slow connection times (and potentially not being able to connect at all some times). So hopefully, they are taking that feedback in and will be working to do what needs to be done to make it perform as it should.

Aug 10, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #10,495 of 18,669
Playlists always display eventually here (so far!)
All playlists made in MALP - yes all .m3u
Yo @PANURUS - playlists HAVE started disappearing / not showing up in GoFigure. Plus have had a whole spate of being unable to connect at all resulting in a lot of power cycling / swearing. The layout of GoFigure needs a good going over too - its quite poor in terms of functionality right now, esp Quick Play. Case in point massive unnecessary volume and playback controls vs teeny window to scroll through playlists. Pressing Android back button doesn't take you to previous page but to the dreaded "Polys near me" page which means reconnecting all over again...

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #10,496 of 18,669
A SUMMARY OF MY SET UP. hope this will work for yours, too. :)
*Poly-Mojo + Galaxy Note8 (8.0.0) + GoFigure Android Beta
*Galaxy Note 8 as Hotspot or Poly as Hotspot (switching made easier by GoFigure Android)
*MALP for SD Card file playback and DSD File playback.
*Bubble UPnP for AK Connect Playback, EXCEPT DSD FILES. though with this last option, connection gets interrupted from time to time. so the HOTSPOT MODE is the most ideal for the AK Connect, as i have not experienced any interruptions until the battery of the PolyMojo is drained.
CHEERS!!!:L3000::L3000::L3000:

Thank you @priest331, this and many recent post (@Phuca, @NYanakiev and others) may actually convinced me to bite the bullet.
If only the rain would stop as a journey to my local Richer Sounds is only 30 mins away. That or Amazon Prime next day

search the thread using 'dsd' as the search term.
There are many posts displayed, some of which may help you.
Not all apps will handle dsd, but some can if you change the settings, for example https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-☆-poly-☆-wireless-microsd-module-for-mojo-☆★►useful-info-on-1st-page-◄★☆.831347/page-515#post-14108675
Hope this helps

Many thanks @miketlse

I have searched on this tread about:
Android DSD BubbleUPnP and i just found this.

To use DSD files with BubbleUPnP, you have to select in parameters : audio decodage with FFmpeg.
I have downloaded a dsd file on my S8 and it works.

YAY!!!!

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #10,497 of 18,669
Yes, that would be a worthwhile reason to upgrade. But, my point was simply that its easy to be an armchair programmer and call them out for using an older version, when the reality when doing programming is that its very often not the case that updating a library or technology stack is as easy as simply updating it, like you would update an app on your phone. Newer versions could have a new API that breaks all your old calls, requiring you to rewrite working code. It could have dependencies on other libraries that need to be updated or installed, each of which could have the same issues updating or installing. It could also simply be that newer versions are not compatible with the hardware they have chosen. No way to tell. I just wanted to point out that in this case, its easy to jump on chord for using outdated software, but the reality might be that using the updated software could require re-writing a large portion of things that already work, just to get it working in the same state.

I am not trying to make excuses for chord either. I have been very vocal about the extremely slow pace of software development and the lack of features. And I would love to see things up to date and running smoothly. But being a software developer myself, I can at least appreciate some of the difficulties that come along with it. That being said, at this point, the product is already released to us (for quite some time) and it would be great to have some kind of roadmap of whats being worked out. Would help stamp out some of this speculation.

And at least in terms of the android app, I have given my feedback through their form about the extremely slow connection times (and potentially not being able to connect at all some times). So hopefully, they are taking that feedback in and will be working to do what needs to be done to make it perform as it should.
Just to clarify - I wasn’t jumping on anyone and I’m not an armchair programmer!
I thought I was contributing in a positive - ‘here are some reasons to keep your stuff up to date’ - manner !
But maybe there isn’t enough space in this thread for more than one programmer ! Who we all know - are literally the worst people - totally conceited - who spend their days endlessly rubbishing other peoples code.
But not me.

Aug 10, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #10,498 of 18,669
Just to clarify - I wasn’t jumping on anyone and I’m not an armchair programmer!
I thought I was contributing in a positive - ‘here are some reasons to keep your stuff up to date’ - manner !
But maybe there isn’t enough space in this thread for more than one programmer ! Who we all know - are literally the worst people - totally conceited - who spend their days endlessly rubbishing other peoples code.
But not me.

No no, its all good. I wasnt trying to pick a fight or anything, just hoping to offer some insight into why its possible and potentially reasonable for them to still be using older libraries, etc.

I agree, there are definitely good reasons to keep things up to date. I was just saying there are often times equally good reasons not to.

And as a programmer, I try not to disparage anyone elses code, especially when if I was to look back at some of my own code... yea... there are plenty of things I have written that are pretty much indecipherable.

Aug 10, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #10,499 of 18,669
If only the rain would stop as a journey to my local Richer Sounds is only 30 mins away. That or Amazon Prime next day

I wouldn't use Amazon in case you get problems, I had to go through their CS once they're absolute nightmare to deal with, I gave up in the end…. Richer-Sounds all the way for me, great on Customer-Service and very helpful in my experience.

Aug 10, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #10,500 of 18,669
I wouldn't use Amazon in case you get problems, I had to go through their CS once they're absolute nightmare to deal with, I gave up in the end…. Richer-Sounds all the way for me, great on Customer-Service and very helpful in my experience.
They also offer a 5 year parts and labour warranty for 10% of sale price. For a mobile piece of equipment that’s likely to be in the wars, I think that’s a good bit of insurance.
Abd they also price match and then give £10 or so more if you find cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back