Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Aug 8, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #10,471 of 18,742
Your post raised a nagging thought in my mind, that some 'golden rules' had been posted a few months ago.
I searched using the .m3u search term, and a few links do appear.
One example link is https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-☆-poly-☆-wireless-microsd-module-for-mojo-☆★►useful-info-on-1st-page-◄★☆.831347/page-573#post-14160218
I know that is not the same as your issue, but I am sure that factors like where the folder is located, can affect how the Poly used to treat the files a few months ago.
In an ideal world, the latest Poly firmware should handle .m3u files intuitively, but maybe we are not 100% there yet.
I suggest search the thread, because I am sure that there were other posts relating to Poly changing the m3u file name that was displayed.

The m3u problem is caused by poly indexing, either by removing and reinserting the sd card, which triggers an automatic index refresh or by refreshing the dlna database manually. Both ways causes it to happen.

When using quick play you have to make atleast 1 playlist before it will open, once you have made it and opened quick play, you can then, using cantata, make more playlists that can be seen in realtime as quickplay recognises a new playlist and adds it to the list.

Once the playlists have been made, never take the sd card out of poly or refresh the dlna database, if you do, it causes poly to re-index the sd cards contents, which now contain playlists with the m3u suffix. They were not there when the sd card was first inserted into poly and indexed for the very first time. Try it and see.

I was testing it today and it is repeatable, m3u at the end of playlists is solely caused by poly reindexing, either automatically by reimserting the sd card or manually by dlna refresh.

The good thing is, it is a very easy fix for chord to implement, hide known filetype extensions.

Boom headshot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 8, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #10,472 of 18,742
I've never had a SD-card, the thought of formatting one fills me with dread. My next purchase will probably be a ZX300 so will have to succumb to buying one that or buy a laptop for purely music use.

I learn a lot from the threads that result in constant technological nightmares, things were easier with Cassettes.

Aug 9, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #10,473 of 18,742
I'm sorry that this isn't more helpful, but fwiw I've just installed the beta fine on my Note 8, Android 8.0
In other news - Bluetooth control of SD card playback!!! It's working! Can't believe it's finally here!

I am not on this Beta but I have seen this error in the past. You may need to try downloading the APK via another device ie PC or uploading to something like your Google Drive before transferring to your Note 8

Aug 9, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #10,474 of 18,742
I bought my Mojo blind after reading quite a few positive reviews in November 2015 and it has been my best purchase by far with absolutely no regrets. Sometime shortly afterwards I remember seeing a video with John Franks talking about an attachment to this DAC that would allow SD Card playback, I awaited eagerly. Fast forward to Indulgence 2017 and my first hands on. This wasn't convicing but as yet the Poly hadn't been released and using with Android was nit really viable as it was demonstrated on iOS, I waited.
Poly was eventually released , no sign of an Android app, I waited. During this time I decided not to come to this thread as I wanted to hear opinions of successful pairings with Android devices, I waited.
Fast forward to CanJam 2018 and I was that chap at the Chord stand trying the Poly with my 2 Android phones, probably to the annoyance of the members of the team, as we struggled to get it to work ( being on Android 9 beta probably didn't help on my Pixel 2XL as it worked on the OnePlus 3 on M.A.L.P) but the need to reset the Poly, shutting off and restarting apps or connections did not fill me with confidence.

I returned to this forum yesterday to catch up as I had itchy fingers and a credit card to hand, I have and still want to buy the Poly only if I can be convinced it is a viable option.
Currently I use my Onkyo DP-X1 together with the Mojo, this gives me the streaming I need ie Tidal, Spotify when out or my library on my NAS, when at home (via UAPP), I don't have Roon and my most common use is playing music from my 2 SD cards and these all play fine, DSD, AIFF etc, the same it seems cannot be said for the SD Playback via Poly and available apps.
I was hoping that the Poly would be a more compact and purposeful option.
I'm still waiting

PS please note that I haven't given up hope yet but am I glad that this was not a blind purchase as my Mojo was and IMO what I have seen when using with iOS, I do find the hoop jumping undesirable regardless of how many iOS users here state otherwise.
I was looking for control similar to operating a DAP from a dedicated Android/iOS app and not needing to seek an app to do the bidding for me, these should be options available if I choose not a necessity as was the case until the GoFigure app was released for iOS.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #10,475 of 18,742
I've never had a SD-card, the thought of formatting one fills me with dread. My next purchase will probably be a ZX300 so will have to succumb to buying one that or buy a laptop for purely music use.

I learn a lot from the threads that result in constant technological nightmares, things were easier with Cassettes.

The ubiquitous C60 - 180, who can forget stealing songs from the radio on a sunday afternoon when listening to the charts. Pushing play and record has never been so much fun as it was back then.

The bands never complained about stealing music from the radio back then, so whats changed ?

It must be true;

Todays bands really are a bunch of greedy..............

Aug 9, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #10,476 of 18,742
The ubiquitous C60 - 180, who can forget stealing songs from the radio on a sunday afternoon when listening to the charts. Pushing play and record has never been so much fun as it was back then.

The bands never complained about stealing music from the radio back then, so whats changed ?

It must be true;

Todays bands really are a bunch of greedy..............

Do you remember that famous song from the "Cabaret" Film with Liza Minelli that says "Money makes the world go round, the world go round..." :floatsmile:

Aug 9, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #10,478 of 18,742
I bought my Mojo blind after reading quite a few positive reviews in November 2015 and it has been my best purchase by far with absolutely no regrets. Sometime shortly afterwards I remember seeing a video with John Franks talking about an attachment to this DAC that would allow SD Card playback, I awaited eagerly. Fast forward to Indulgence 2017 and my first hands on. This wasn't convicing but as yet the Poly hadn't been released and using with Android was nit really viable as it was demonstrated on iOS, I waited.
Poly was eventually released , no sign of an Android app, I waited. During this time I decided not to come to this thread as I wanted to hear opinions of successful pairings with Android devices, I waited.
Fast forward to CanJam 2018 and I was that chap at the Chord stand trying the Poly with my 2 Android phones, probably to the annoyance of the members of the team, as we struggled to get it to work ( being on Android 9 beta probably didn't help on my Pixel 2XL as it worked on the OnePlus 3 on M.A.L.P) but the need to reset the Poly, shutting off and restarting apps or connections did not fill me with confidence.

I returned to this forum yesterday to catch up as I had itchy fingers and a credit card to hand, I have and still want to buy the Poly only if I can be convinced it is a viable option.
Currently I use my Onkyo DP-X1 together with the Mojo, this gives me the streaming I need ie Tidal, Spotify when out or my library on my NAS, when at home (via UAPP), I don't have Roon and my most common use is playing music from my 2 SD cards and these all play fine, DSD, AIFF etc, the same it seems cannot be said for the SD Playback via Poly and available apps.
I was hoping that the Poly would be a more compact and purposeful option.
I'm still waiting

PS please note that I haven't given up hope yet but am I glad that this was not a blind purchase as my Mojo was and IMO what I have seen when using with iOS, I do find the hoop jumping undesirable regardless of how many iOS users here state otherwise.
I was looking for control similar to operating a DAP from a dedicated Android/iOS app and not needing to seek an app to do the bidding for me, these should be options available if I choose not a necessity as was the case until the GoFigure app was released for iOS.

What can I say ?

I used to be a vocal critic regarding poly and its uselessness when first released, however, now I can’t live without them. Its so good, on ios or android that you should buy it. Granted there is still some bugs, but they are being worked on and poly is infinitly more usable than it was when first released.

I have a preorder in for Hugo TT2 and MScaler, I was trading in my hugo 2 and mojo and poly for it, but I like mojo and poly so much that I have decided to keep them and just give up hugo 2 instead. I would rather pay a few hundred more for new toys than get rid of mojo and poly. < extremely hard decision to make, one that I only came to last night.

Long story short, pair mojo with poly. It is worth buying now, if you don’t, you might kick yourself later.

Edit.

Ios, glider/8player to poly is no hoop jumping.

Its basically, turn on mojo, poly will start up, ( can skip this part, open gofigure or don’t ) use glider or 8player, set glider for airplay playback, speaker icon or select renderer for 8 player and push play.

A couple of pushes onscreen, works perfect for me.

I think what the problem is, is learning how poly works and what modes to be in. Once you get that down, its second nature. Turn on poly, select an app, select output, airplay or renderer, thats about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 9, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #10,479 of 18,742
What can I say ?

I used to be a vocal critic regarding poly and its uselessness when first released, however, now I can’t live without them. Its so good, on ios or android that you should buy it. Granted there is still some bugs, but they are being worked on and poly is infinitly more usable than it was when first released.

I have a preorder in for Hugo TT2 and MScaler, I was trading in my hugo 2 and mojo and poly for it, but I like mojo and poly so much that I have decided to keep them and just give up hugo 2 instead. I would rather pay a few hundred more for new toys than get rid of mojo and poly. < extremely hard decision to make, one that I only came to last night.

Long story short, pair mojo with poly. It is worth buying now, if you don’t, you might kick yourself later.

Edit.

Ios, glider/8player to poly is no hoop jumping.

Its basically, turn on mojo, poly will start up, ( can skip this part, open gofigure or don’t ) use glider or 8player, set glider for airplay playback, speaker icon or select renderer for 8 player and push play.

A couple of pushes onscreen, works perfect for me.

I think what the problem is, is learning how poly works and what modes to be in. Once you get that down, its second nature. Turn on poly, select an app, select output, airplay or renderer, thats about it.

I couldn’t agree more. I considered selling both Mojo and Poly but I am glad I decided against it.

As an iOS user, I couldn’t imagine being without the pair- especially when out and about. Glider+Poly in hybrid mode is pretty much bulletproof now.

Aug 9, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #10,481 of 18,742
gotta love a good epiphanic revelation... enjoy!

I hope an Autumn release date, really means an Autumn release date.

It was a hard decision, when all was said and done, I kept them because I like them and use them alot. Plus I have masses of schiit that goes alongside them, iems, cables, case blah.....

Without them, all that stuff would goto waste.

Aug 9, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #10,482 of 18,742

Well, I did all the possible ones. It is not even proceeding beyond finding Polys now.
The strange BlueZ 5.43 renaming of Poly is a bit of a give away. It strongly suggests that Poly does not use the latest version of the Linux Bluetooth communication stack. Over at http://www.bluez.org it gives details of several significant updates since version 5.43, which dates from October 2016, which was even before all of us started dreaming of owning a Poly... I'm wondering if this may be one reason for the slow communication between poly and Android devices through Gofigure beta. I would have thought using the least buggy and most recent version of the Bluetooth protocol stack would be programming 101.

Aug 9, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #10,483 of 18,742
...things were easier with Cassettes.

x2bsyg4d6e011.jpg

Aug 9, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #10,484 of 18,742
The strange BlueZ 5.43 renaming of Poly is a bit of a give away. It strongly suggests that Poly does not use the latest version of the Linux Bluetooth communication stack. Over at http://www.bluez.org it gives details of several significant updates since version 5.43, which dates from October 2016, which was even before all of us started dreaming of owning a Poly... I'm wondering if this may be one reason for the slow communication between poly and Android devices through Gofigure beta. I would have thought using the least buggy and most recent version of the Bluetooth protocol stack would be programming 101.
That's really interesting. Looks like a bunch of LE fixes since v5.43. Make sure to let @Matt Bartlett know!

Aug 9, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #10,485 of 18,742

I cant speak to this specific case, but as a programmer, I often specifically avoid upgrading libraries or technology stacks once I am deep into a project. You might assume that upgrading would be as simple as just updating to the latest version, but there are very often problems in that API calls that used to work might not work, or any number of other issues that mean having to rewrite tons of code. Again, I cant say for certain in this case since I have no idea what their code base looks like, but if what you are saying is true, its entirely possible that they started with that stack when they first started developing it, and have been either focusing on other features first, or just avoiding upgrading because upgrading can often cause a whole bunch of extra work just to get it back to where it was before you upgraded.

Edit: I should also say though that if upgrading a library or technology stack is worth it, such as if it solves problems, that alone is often worth the effort. So, it may be in this case, it may not. Again, dont know. But I am still not surprised that its an older version being used, especially if thats what was being used when the whole project started.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back