Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Apr 2, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #8,176 of 18,821
@JeremyLaurenson Have you tried rebooting the Poly? I have a ritual dance I go through when I have problems like this. Shut down Poly. Separate Mojo and Poly and wait 10 min. Hard quit the app you were using (in this case Glider). Reconnect and launch Poly/Mojo and give it a few minutes (2-3). Often this helps although it shouldn't be necessary. I noticed that you had two Poly hotspots showing up in your network selection screen. Do you have 2 Polys?
This is my second - first replaced for power on issues.

Apr 2, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #8,177 of 18,821
Despite all my other issues I documented in the past week, this afternoon I'm at the Apple Store waiting for my personal iPhone to get a new battery. I have my work iPhone with me. How do I configure the Poly to work in a public wifi space like the Apple Store (2.5 hours to go...)?

Apr 2, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #8,179 of 18,821
Frustrations with Chord Poly

I love the Mojo and H2. Both are just amazing, and the real power of the Mojo comes through the longer I listen. My ears are weak, so the first 5-10 minutes, I don’t notice the difference between the Mojo and connecting directly to my old iPhone 6. But especially for classical orchestral music, if I stop trying to hear a difference and just enjoy the music, things start to emerge through the Mojo that I’d never noticed before. Not just details (though that too), but the balance between instruements becomes increasingly noticeable until I’m sitting there stunned at what I’m hearing. The H2 is more dramatic a difference of course and is instantly recognizable.

To me, at least, the Mojo and H2 are incredible pieces of technology and I deeply appreciate Chord’s and Robb Watts’ investment in time to bringing these products to market.

The Poly, on the other, is really one step away from junk in my book.

First, the good. BT works well and consistently. But who cares. The quality out of Poly's BT (connected to my iPhone 8+) is significantly more muted, loses a crap ton of detail, and frankly, isn’t better than listening to my old iPhone 6 through wired headphones.

Second, WHEN the SDcard setup works, the music is stunning. Too bad it only works under one condition.

It’s frustrating as all heck to use.

——

I already know the Poly doesn’t connect to 5gHz APs, but it doesn’t connect to all 2.4gHz APs either.
-> Connects to my iPhone when iPhone is in hotspot mode.
-> Doesn’t connect to either my Fortinet or Sonicwall APs (Both in 2.4gHz mode)
-> Connects to cheap “travel” AP, Logitec L300

- Even when it’s working:
-> When connected to iPhone’s hotspot, everything works.
-> When connected to my Logitec L300 travel AP, it connects, but the DLNA server doesn’t work right.

So, the “amazing” streaming client functions are completely wasted because it will only connect properly to one out of the four 2.4gHz APs I have.

Great. Junk.
——
Status light indicators aren’t that great. When trying to do any setups while charging, the charging lights supersede the mode indicators. Only way to get mode indicators to work right is to use the Poly in battery mode.
——
No way to load music directly onto the Poly’s SDcard while the SDcard is in the Poly. Have to remove it, mount it on my desktop or laptop computer using a separate reader, manage files, and move the sd card back to Poly. Very inefficient. The ability to mount the SD card while it is inside the Poly should have been there.

In other words, the Poly should have had two micro-USB ports, just like the Mojo, and the data microUSB should have been pass-through + SDcard mounting. Or Chord should have it's own DLNA client with these features in mind.
——
Even when I can access the SD card via the internal DLNA server (when the Poly is connected to my iPhone 8’s AP), the directory stops working while there’s a song playing. When I stop the song, the directories show up again. What’s up with that? Using 8 Player. Maybe 8 player isn’t good. But frankly, again, why isn’t there a Chord client.

Complaint to 8 Player and not Chord: Why can’t I easily create and manage and more importantly, sequentially order the songs in a playlist manually? While it’s an 8 Player problem, it doesn’t change my frustration at using this “system”
——
And speaking of frustrations with this “system”, another irritation is the lack of physical buttons. I love DAPs because I can control ff/skip forward/play/pause/beginning of song/jump to previous song. Why doesn't Poly have physical buttons?
——
Why do I need a physical pin to change the Poly between nw mod and ap mode? That’s annoying. It’s a pain in the butt to manage. Why not just a regular physical button or switch?
——
Airplay only works for me when using the iPhone as a hotspot. Which goes back to my first frustration. I don’t always want to use my iPhone as the transport. Often I want to use my other smart devices, to free my iPhone of unnecessary duties to preserve battery power.
——
For $700+ this device could have been a heck of a lot better.

As much as I love the Mojo and H2, the Poly is pretty darn close to useless for me. The slow-as-molasses N5ii is a better device for portability by far. At least that connects to any network and the streaming features work without a problem.
——
At the very least the AP client needs to be improved. I’m stunned at just how crappy the AP client is.

Every other device I own connects to my 2.4gHz Sonicwall or Fortinet appliances with no problem. The Poly is the first device I have ever owned that doesn’t connect to it. Heck, even my 1996 Sharp Zaurus with wifi module attachment connects without problems to both of my home APs. What kind of hardware is Poly using that it won’t connect to anything but a portable wifi AP and my iPhone in hotspot mode?

Irritated to no end.

I’m sure a lot of people will disagree with me, and I apologize for venting so much, but my love of Chord products is somewhat exacerbating my frustration with the Poly.

----

Venting done

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #8,181 of 18,821

I’m sure a lot of people will disagree with me, and I apologize for venting so much, but my love of Chord products is somewhat exacerbating my frustration with the Poly.

----

Venting done

Can't disagree with this. You have all valid points. I however will not part with Poly since, for my purposes, the Mojo would be more useless without it.

Looking forward to the release of GoFigure "this week"(tm) and see what happens down the road.

Apr 3, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #8,182 of 18,821
i was just going to note, that playing Tidal, via AK Connect 2 (app store app), it was able to play at 48khz, rather than the usual 44khz. I noticed as the mojo power light went orange. It was also 24bit. i thought that was cool. I was listening to Yundi playing a bit of chopin if you want to see for yourself.
Which specific album do you see playing at 48khz? All of the information I've seen (including Tidal website) says that Tidal lossless streaming is 44.1khz. I tried Yundi Chopin albums on Tidal and my DAC shows them all playing at 44.1khz.

Apr 3, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #8,183 of 18,821

I love the Mojo and H2. Both are just amazing, and the real power of the Mojo comes through the longer I listen. My ears are weak, so the first 5-10 minutes, I don’t notice the difference between the Mojo and connecting directly to my old iPhone 6. But especially for classical orchestral music, if I stop trying to hear a difference and just enjoy the music, things start to emerge through the Mojo that I’d never noticed before. Not just details (though that too), but the balance between instruements becomes increasingly noticeable until I’m sitting there stunned at what I’m hearing. The H2 is more dramatic a difference of course and is instantly recognizable.

To me, at least, the Mojo and H2 are incredible pieces of technology and I deeply appreciate Chord’s and Robb Watts’ investment in time to bringing these products to market.

First, the good. BT works well and consistently. But who cares. The quality out of Poly's BT (connected to my iPhone 8+) is significantly more muted, loses a crap ton of detail, and frankly, isn’t better than listening to my old iPhone 6 through wired headphones.

Second, WHEN the SDcard setup works, the music is stunning. Too bad it only works under one condition.

——

I already know the Poly doesn’t connect to 5gHz APs, but it doesn’t connect to all 2.4gHz APs either.

-> When connected to my Logitec L300 travel AP, it connects, but the DLNA server doesn’t work right.

So, the “amazing” streaming client functions are completely wasted because it will only connect properly to one out of the four 2.4gHz APs I have.

Great. Junk.
——
Status light indicators aren’t that great. When trying to do any setups while charging, the charging lights supersede the mode indicators. Only way to get mode indicators to work right is to use the Poly in battery mode.
——
No way to load music directly onto the Poly’s SDcard while the SDcard is in the Poly. Have to remove it, mount it on my desktop or laptop computer using a separate reader, manage files, and move the sd card back to Poly. Very inefficient. The ability to mount the SD card while it is inside the Poly should have been there.

In other words, the Poly should have had two micro-USB ports, just like the Mojo, and the data microUSB should have been pass-through + SDcard mounting. Or Chord should have it's own DLNA client with these features in mind.
——
Even when I can access the SD card via the internal DLNA server (when the Poly is connected to my iPhone 8’s AP), the directory stops working while there’s a song playing. When I stop the song, the directories show up again. What’s up with that? Using 8 Player. Maybe 8 player isn’t good. But frankly, again, why isn’t there a Chord client.

Complaint to 8 Player and not Chord: Why can’t I easily create and manage and more importantly, sequentially order the songs in a playlist manually? While it’s an 8 Player problem, it doesn’t change my frustration at using this “system”
——
And speaking of frustrations with this “system”, another irritation is the lack of physical buttons. I love DAPs because I can control ff/skip forward/play/pause/beginning of song/jump to previous song. Why doesn't Poly have physical buttons?
——
Why do I need a physical pin to change the Poly between nw mod and ap mode? That’s annoying. It’s a pain in the butt to manage. Why not just a regular physical button or switch?
——
Airplay only works for me when using the iPhone as a hotspot. Which goes back to my first frustration. I don’t always want to use my iPhone as the transport. Often I want to use my other smart devices, to free my iPhone of unnecessary duties to preserve battery power.
——

As much as I love the Mojo and H2, the Poly is pretty darn close to useless for me. The slow-as-molasses N5ii is a better device for portability by far. At least that connects to any network and the streaming features work without a problem.
——
At the very least the AP client needs to be improved. I’m stunned at just how crappy the AP client is.

Every other device I own connects to my 2.4gHz Sonicwall or Fortinet appliances with no problem. The Poly is the first device I have ever owned that doesn’t connect to it. Heck, even my 1996 Sharp Zaurus with wifi module attachment connects without problems to both of my home APs. What kind of hardware is Poly using that it won’t connect to anything but a portable wifi AP and my iPhone in hotspot mode?

Irritated to no end.

----

Venting done

Though I like my Mojo Poly combination, & work with its limitations, I completely get your frustrations, and agree with much of your "venting"
I can't fault the way you laid out the problems. I hope that feedback such as yours is quickly rolled into firmware updates. For me, this is the number one issue for Poly. The hardware is set and not going to be changed. The software development for both Poly operating system and the control point is far, far to slow and unreliable. I know that throwing money at a problem is no guarantee of a fix, but this area is clearly under resourced.

Apr 3, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #8,184 of 18,821
Which specific album do you see playing at 48khz? All of the information I've seen (including Tidal website) says that Tidal lossless streaming is 44.1khz. I tried Yundi Chopin albums on Tidal and my DAC shows them all playing at 44.1khz.
Think it was this one

https://tidal.com/album/77598777

The Led zepp album in screenshot was the same.

Apr 3, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #8,185 of 18,821
F958C817-D75D-482B-B404-ECFACBEE4055.jpeg
I agree that Poly is not perfect and that firmware updates have been too slow to materialise.

I also understand that some are experiencing multiple problems that degrade their level of enjoyment of the product.

I guess that I have been lucky (since getting my unit exchanged); I have had no issues with Glider on my home wifi network (SD card; Roon; streaming) or when out and about using @JeremyLaurenson hybrid mode.

Yes, still having to use the pin is annoying to no end but the Mojopoly sound quality is phenomenal. As a proud owner of Hugo 2 (finally bought one a few days ago), I can easily perceive a difference but it’s not as huge as I expected.

In a nutshell, I am definitely keeping Poly as buying it made Mojo a million times more versatile. Hugo 2, as great as it is, I don’t see as a viable on the go solution.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #8,186 of 18,821
Apr 3, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #8,187 of 18,821
I can confirm that mconnect also behaves that way...
Streaming from Qobuz 192kHz 24 bit to the MojoPoly combo, the Mojo indicates is dark blue.

IMG_6780.JPG IMG_6781.PNG

Apr 3, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #8,188 of 18,821
@JeremyLaurenson Have you tried rebooting the Poly? I have a ritual dance I go through when I have problems like this. Shut down Poly. Separate Mojo and Poly and wait 10 min. Hard quit the app you were using (in this case Glider). Reconnect and launch Poly/Mojo and give it a few minutes (2-3). Often this helps although it shouldn't be necessary. I noticed that you had two Poly hotspots showing up in your network selection screen. Do you have 2 Polys?
Thanks when I disconnected mojo and poly for couple of minutes and manually inserted all the numbers it out of nowwhere connected to my Iphone 8 and is connecting to mojo-poly hot spot mode with manual settings.

Apr 3, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #8,190 of 18,821

——

Great. Junk.
——
——

——

——
——
——
——

——

Irritated to no end.

----

Venting done

Totally agree... give the Glider Music Player app a go. Big improvement over 8player for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back