Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Mar 9, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #7,561 of 18,757
I know this is a Poly thread. I too bought/rationalized Poly as a DAP replacement. It was time to replace my gen1 X5. What DAP would you have purchased in lieu of Poly, had you purchased a DAP.
I had the mojo for over a year before and it was by far the best portable amp/DAC I have heard. It was just that all the dongles and cords I had to use with the iPhone was cumbersome and was elated to hear about the Poly. With the Poly using the iPhone as a hotspot and files on SD card (mainly DSD), it is the best portable sound I have ever heard. I don’t have Roon and have no desire to use it Plus my office rig which is in my signature is superior to the polymojo (and it should be). I did consider a DAP but the cost I thought to get this quality would be twice as much as what I paid in total. Anyway, that’s my story.

Mar 9, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #7,563 of 18,757
Hard to stream at 35,000 ft. It really depends on your personal needs and preferences. I carry 300-400 hi-res flacs of music I like on a tiny little mSD chip. No restrictions against phone use, no emi-rfi, no connectivity drops and total control of content. Works for me. AFAIK the zx300 will stream. Why shouldn’t it if it works as an external DAP? Not that I care.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #7,565 of 18,757
Does it also disconnects when using the hybrid mode? That is using the Poly's hotspot mode and using iPhone to connect to Poly while maintaining internet access on the iPhone...
I found it more stable keeping its connection rather than using iPhone's hotspot mode...

I was originally using it in hybrid mode and I didn't have any issues. one day while I was re-reading the manual, I discovered that I've never tried the recommended iOS hotspot method before. i was all along using it in hybrid mode. with the hybrid mode, everytime i want my iPhone to connect to my Poly, i have to put my Poly in access point mode first, using the pin.

i like the iOS hotspot method because I don't have to keep using the pin to put the Poly in access point mode. my personal hotspot is always on and I've already saved the password for my personal hotspot in my Poly config page. so whenever i turn the MojoPoly on, it will automatically detect and connect to my iPhone hotspot. recently this has not been the case for me - which was why I decided to ask if anybody else has been having this issue.

by the way, even with the latest firmware update, is there a reason why the iOS hotspot method is still not 100% stable?

Mar 9, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #7,566 of 18,757
that’s why Tidal offline at 35,000ft!

seriously though I keep looking at DAPs (hiby R6, ibasso dx200, Sony offerings) and it seems like none of them checks all the boxes (for my needs).

Poly is so attractive to me because iOS is hard to beat.

Offline Tidal was a factor in my decision to go back to iOS. I regularly download new tidal music and use the time on my walks and travel to discover new artists etc. There was no timeline for casting to poly on Android and airplay/tidal seemed a great solution on iOS. Poly/mojo has replaced my DP-X1 and LG V10 for portable listening.

Mar 10, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #7,567 of 18,757
Glad that works for you. I usually explore new music on Tidal when I have a big screen around and can explore all the material associated with a track or album. I seldom download offline unless I want something I don't personally own such as when I exploring something new. I often listen to Tidal using Roon or Audirvana Plus which gives me even more choices and controls. Lot's of flexibility these days. It's all good.

Mar 10, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #7,568 of 18,757
I tethered my poly to my iphoneX hotspot but can’t get the poly renderer to show on Glider.

Can Glider do that or only on proper wifi networks?
I used my iphone X as a hotspot to Poly which works flawlessly so far. You should wait for the blue connection icon showing up at the top left corner on your phone before opening the Glider.

Mar 10, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #7,569 of 18,757
I just bought a new iPhone X that I will be receiving in the next week or so. I'm moving back to iOS from Android and just wanted to confirm the best practices for using the iPhone with Poly. The following is based on what I've read on the forum here and experimenting with my wife's iPhone 6.

Home Use: I use Roon at home on my local wifi so that will not change.
Out and about: From what I've read it's best to use the Glider app for SD card payback using the hybrid method to connect to Poly via Poly hotspot. I have been using my phone hotspot on Android so this is a little different practice. For Tidal offline playback I plan to simply use Airplay with the phone connected to Poly again via hybrid mode. I'm looking forward to ditching the "fake" Airplay apps on Android.

Have I got it all? Does anyone have any comments re the best way to use iPhone with Poly that maximizes sound quality and optimizes battery life and performance.

My experience with Poly has mostly been very positive (except for the startup delay for which I'm in the queue waiting for a replacement) and I'm looking forward to adding more use of Tidal offline with the iPhone.

Thanks for your help.

iPhone X as a hotspot also work for me very well. No hassle to switch between Poly network modes

Mar 10, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #7,570 of 18,757
So far I am a happy Poly owner and my Poly is working most of the time. However I think Chord is doing a false advertising in this video . In the video the guy can leave his phone at home before go for jogging. In real life my phone must always connect to the poly for it to work

Mar 10, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #7,573 of 18,757
Glider will prioritise MPD over DLNA so yes it works that way. As audiobear said, save your playlist to the mSD card, invoke it via Glider and disconnect your phone and still have Poly to continue playing the playlist.

Mar 10, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #7,575 of 18,757
Glider will prioritise MPD over DLNA so yes it works that way. As audiobear said, save your playlist to the mSD card, invoke it via Glider and disconnect your phone and still have Poly to continue playing the playlist.

I tried that way but if I disconnect the phone (when using the phone hotspot) I have continuous drops in sound. It seems Poly needs to keep connected to a network (being the phone hotspot or the router) to playing without drops.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back