Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Mar 9, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #7,546 of 18,778
I just bought a new iPhone X that I will be receiving in the next week or so. I'm moving back to iOS from Android and just wanted to confirm the best practices for using the iPhone with Poly. The following is based on what I've read on the forum here and experimenting with my wife's iPhone 6.

Home Use: I use Roon at home on my local wifi so that will not change.
Out and about: From what I've read it's best to use the Glider app for SD card payback using the hybrid method to connect to Poly via Poly hotspot. I have been using my phone hotspot on Android so this is a little different practice. For Tidal offline playback I plan to simply use Airplay with the phone connected to Poly again via hybrid mode. I'm looking forward to ditching the "fake" Airplay apps on Android.

Have I got it all? Does anyone have any comments re the best way to use iPhone with Poly that maximizes sound quality and optimizes battery life and performance.

My experience with Poly has mostly been very positive (except for the startup delay for which I'm in the queue waiting for a replacement) and I'm looking forward to adding more use of Tidal offline with the iPhone.

Thanks for your help.

Mar 9, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #7,548 of 18,778
I just bought a new iPhone X that I will be receiving in the next week or so. I'm moving back to iOS from Android and just wanted to confirm the best practices for using the iPhone with Poly. The following is based on what I've read on the forum here and experimenting with my wife's iPhone 6.

Home Use: I use Roon at home on my local wifi so that will not change.
Out and about: From what I've read it's best to use the Glider app for SD card payback using the hybrid method to connect to Poly via Poly hotspot. I have been using my phone hotspot on Android so this is a little different practice. For Tidal offline playback I plan to simply use Airplay with the phone connected to Poly again via hybrid mode. I'm looking forward to ditching the "fake" Airplay apps on Android.

Have I got it all? Does anyone have any comments re the best way to use iPhone with Poly that maximizes sound quality and optimizes battery life and performance.

My experience with Poly has mostly been very positive (except for the startup delay for which I'm in the queue waiting for a replacement) and I'm looking forward to adding more use of Tidal offline with the iPhone.

Thanks for your help.

i use iPhone X with Poly, never saw the need for hybrid mode but many people use it. no issues using the iPhone's mobile hotspot for me.

Mar 9, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #7,549 of 18,778
i use iPhone X with Poly, never saw the need for hybrid mode but many people use it. no issues using the iPhone's mobile hotspot for me.

@supervisor thanks. I was curious about why hybrid mode was being recommended vs. mobile hotspot mode. Perhaps it's due to the fact some carries charge extra for hotspot mode. I'll try both....

Mar 9, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #7,551 of 18,778
The day has finally come.

No, not for the arrival of our much anticipated GoFigure app. Sad, I know.

I just got contacted about a replacement Poly being readied to be sent to me. I have to send current Poly back prior to receiving new. So the love/hate relationship hopefully comes to an end and I'll be looking forward to a long enduring romance with the new Poly. Chord do take care of their customers.

It will be hilarious if GoFigure does get released in the time I'm without the necessary apparatus. :wink:

Mar 9, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #7,552 of 18,778

I just got contacted about a replacement Poly being readied to be sent to me. I have to send current Poly back prior to receiving new. So the love/hate relationship hopefully comes to an end and I'll be looking forward to a long enduring romance with the new Poly. Chord do take care of their customers.

It will be hilarious if GoFigure does get released in the time I'm without the necessary apparatus. :wink:

I am anxiously awaiting a similar phone call. Come to think of it, I will just send Poly back to my dealer.....

Mar 9, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #7,553 of 18,778
I’m on the go and it is not always possible to have WiFi turned on (for battery saving reasons) which is why I’m so miffed about not being able to control SDCard playback via Bluetooth.

It hasn't stopped me enjoying Poly, but SD playback via bluetooth was the main criteria for me. 400GB dedicated storage vs 128GB shared storage, meant ALL my favourite music would be available on the go. At home, I intended to stream via the network, but a game changer for on the move playback.
So without that capability, GoFigure for me is useful only to replace the bloody pin.

I know it might be slim pickings, but at least it'll have bluetooth playback control of SD card MPD playlists - so it will be possible to turn off WiFi (with all the positives that bring), both on Poly and your phone, and still play stuff back - just you have to jump through a bunch of unfriendly seeming hoops to get there. Its better than nothing though - and if this feature had been pulled as well then I probably would have returned it. Mind you I'm waiting on the Android app and proof will be in the pudding and all that!

Mar 9, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #7,554 of 18,778
This is a more detailed explanation of my gripes from a few posts back:

One of the use cases for me buying Poly was to be able to use Poly/Mojo as a DAP. Maybe that isn’t what it was primarily designed for...but I felt that Poly having an SDCard slot was a nod toward this being a valid use case. I do understand that Poly’s primary use is as a streamer and renderer, so don’t flame me for wanting that wonderful Mojo sound for everything.

Despite seeing the horror stories on this forum, I still jumped in with both feet and bought Poly, believing in Chord. Another key reason I did this was because I had seen posts from @Mojo ideas saying that Bluetooth playback control of the SDCard would be baked into the GoFigure app. Rather than repost those posts here, assuming they haven’t been since removed, I believed the word of a high level Chord person.

I’m on the go and it is not always possible to have WiFi turned on (for battery saving reasons) which is why I’m so miffed about not being able to control SDCard playback via Bluetooth.

I wonder how many other people bought Poly as a DAP replacement?

Hopefully this explanation of my intended use for Poly keeps me from coming off as petty and avoids people replying with ‘just use Glider and be done with it’.
I literally bought it over an Astell & Kern for this very reason. Had I known, I probably would have gone with a DAP.

Mar 9, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #7,556 of 18,778

You make 4 returns I can think of on this thread. Wonder how many there are...

Mar 9, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #7,560 of 18,778
If that's a FiiO X5 gen 1 that's what I had too. Lots' of interesting DAPs out there. Sony ZX300 seems very interesting. A&K Kann has some interesting features. Questyle 2PQR for sound quality. And of course FiiO's newer offerings for real value and features. If I needed a DAP tomorrow for a round the world cruise I'd buy the Sony. I suspect none of them would sound as good as Poly/Mojo so we're right back where we started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back