Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Feb 13, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #6,871 of 18,821
With my very limited knowledge I did think about security also. I did wonder if the chap next door could access poly while it's in hotspot mode and pinch my music or even access my system? Is that possible?

Don’t you specify what the Ssid and password for your hotspot should be in the config page?

Feb 13, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #6,873 of 18,821
Agreed. I had just bought a Mojo in October to use with my Andromeda on the go. A lot of the reason I decided on the Mojo was because I planned on adding a Poly as well.

Nope, not after all this. Going to sell the Mojo and go with a tried and true DAP, probably ZX2.

Mojo sound is superb. I'm not a fanboy but IMO with Poly/Mojo it'll take some beating. Not saying it can' be beaten, just not easily. Through frustration I almost bought an iBasso DX200. Actually I did but returned it after doing comparisons. Possinby with A&K 240/380 I don't know. A&K 240 does sream MQS, basically what you have on your PC, from my understanding of it. So you lose some functionality and the resulting reproduction may not be any better. ..... However I concede it would be a lot less hassle!

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #6,875 of 18,821
Chord seem to be blaming Apple but the fault lies 100 percent with Chord for delay after delay.
They deserve all the criticism because they launched a product too early and sold a lot on false promises.
I cannot be the only one who has gone from an admirer of Chord to someone who wouldnt buy a Chord product again. I just don't believe in them anymore.
No we certainly aren’t blaming anyone though we have to say that we are very disappointed that it has taken until this week for the hardware request to come in. There is no conspiracy, we are, and have been trying to get this app through to you all as fast as we can. Yes we did beta test it and we expected to release it this week but we couldn’t it’s just part of the process.

Feb 13, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #6,876 of 18,821
No, I'd completely missed that if it was posted. How do I go about doing that?
Cheers, I'm not network savy! ... don't even know what SSID means.
No my bad - you can only specify what the polys name will be on the network.

It talks in the manual about access mode being an unsecured WiFi- and I think the hot spot mode is very similar.

Feb 13, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #6,877 of 18,821
No my bad - you can only specify what the polys name will be on the network.

It talks in the manual about access mode being an unsecured WiFi- and I think the hot spot mode is very similar.

Ok no worries,
So can my neighbour access music on my card?
Or, worse can he hack into my PC using Poly as a "back door" so to speak?

No doubt someone knowledgeable will be able to answer? .....

Feb 13, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #6,878 of 18,821
Ok no worries,

Poly hotpsot mode is very open - it needs to be for you to access the web page to set it up. Though the manual says it only has a 10m range and is the last resort wifi connection. So if your neighbour is close he could see Poly on his available wifi connections and get to your config page and see wifi network names but no passwords. So he could listen to your music.

Given that Poly is a mini-computer, the more open services that are added and made available increase the chance of a hacker gaining access - just as they have hacked into web cams and baby monitors. But Poly has an added security device - the config pin that should ward off all but the most hardened hacker. Seriously though you should make sure your home system is safe first before panicking about Poly, backups, backups and backups as well as Anti-virus and anti-malware software are important as well as good sense on what sites you visit.

Feb 13, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #6,879 of 18,821
Ok no worries,

In access point mode Absolutely anyone can actually download your entire library. (Time permitting) This is most certainly the case for me when I am at the gym or on a plane.

If your PC is also on the poly network, yes it becomes much more vulnerable.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #6,880 of 18,821
Which is why I requested bluetooth control over the Poly 5 months ago.

Using hotspot mode when mobile data is not available (such as in an aircraft) is asking for trouble.

Feb 14, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #6,881 of 18,821
I had noticed in work, I’d left poly on the desk, and went to a meeting room, quite a distance away, At least 10 metres away, and my phone was still connected to the hotspot.

So perhaps the upside of the 2.4 ghz WiFi, that it can travel quite far through concrete actually becomes a negative in a security sense.

And not to panic monger at all, but if your sd card had family photos or other data on it then it would be browsable I presume by and dnla style app.

I suppose if this is the way chord want this to work, they should call out the risks for users in the manual or on the configuration page, as everyone in the industry has a responsibility to educate people on staying safe (or what attack vectors they are opening themselves too, as it’s not obvious and absolutely worth consideration).

Also it’s not possible to change the Bluetooth access pin is it?

Feb 14, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #6,882 of 18,821
Poly hotpsot mode is very open - it needs to be for you to access the web page to set it up.
It doesn't have to be open to access the setting webpage. They could've shipped it with a default ID/password which can be re-configured during setup (just like routers, wifi-HDD etc).

Feb 14, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #6,883 of 18,821
I have noticed that, if I connect to the poly through wifi, then ANYONE can connect to my Poly through bluetooth cause Poly it’s ALWAYS searching for bluetooth devices to link to it. I think the “searching for bluetooth dvices to link” function must be ONLY physically engaged by the user (i.e. with the item included) but NEVER may be “searching” all time cause this way anyone around me could link to my poly and send audio.
I think the real problem with safety is bluetooth. As I told before poly is always searching for bluetooth devices to link to it. No matter if you are using a safe wifi config or in Hotspot or network mode. Poly bluetooth linking function is always available to anyone in the bluetooth distance range.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #6,884 of 18,821
Poly hotpsot mode is very open - it needs to be for you to access the web page to set it up. Though the manual says it only has a 10m range and is the last resort wifi connection. So if your neighbour is close he could see Poly on his available wifi connections and get to your config page and see wifi network names but no passwords. So he could listen to your music.

Given that Poly is a mini-computer, the more open services that are added and made available increase the chance of a hacker gaining access - just as they have hacked into web cams and baby monitors. But Poly has an added security device - the config pin that should ward off all but the most hardened hacker. Seriously though you should make sure your home system is safe first before panicking about Poly, backups, backups and backups as well as Anti-virus and anti-malware software are important as well as good sense on what sites you visit.

Thank you, that is intertesting.
My PC is well proected with AV. and Anti Malware. I also use a hidden encryted partition, the files within are encrypted in which
to save the most sensitive documents. But, i wouldn't be surprised if that date is held somewhere outside of that, in ack ups caches etc even though I clean regularly.

Isn't there a way of preventing access while using poly Hotspot but allow only the needed connections, like a "fire wall" ?
I keep away from dodgy sites, or at least I try to.
will the "goFigure" app add a level of security?

Oh, I forgot to say I have a Rhodium plated paper clip!

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #6,885 of 18,821
Mojo sound is superb. I'm not a fanboy but IMO with Poly/Mojo it'll take some beating. Not saying it can' be beaten, just not easily. Through frustration I almost bought an iBasso DX200. Actually I did but returned it after doing comparisons. Possinby with A&K 240/380 I don't know. A&K 240 does sream MQS, basically what you have on your PC, from my understanding of it. So you lose some functionality and the resulting reproduction may not be any better. ..... However I concede it would be a lot less hassle!

I used to think the same then got a Sony ZX300 using over 4.4mm balanced. To my ears sounds as good as Mojo and better in some aspects (sound stage). Since sold Mojo and fortunately did a "wait & see" on the Poly so never bought it. For Tidal playback iPhone SE to ZX300 works perfectly (£470 on offer price for ZX300).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back