Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jan 13, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #5,791 of 18,780
I'll probably buy it anyways. $5 dollars really isnt a big deal. But I will still be disappointed that I have to buy a separate app just to get functionality thats was promised to exist with poly. Also I would love to use glider. It sounds great. The combo dlna mpd sounds like it gives you the best of both worlds. I will wait patiently until it arrives on android and then happily buy it.

Nope, not the GoFigure app. I am talking about google cast, which is essentially the android version of airplay as well as spotify connect support. Spotify is directly mentioned in the manual, yet the feature does not exist. And google cast was mentioned directly by John Franks here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-☆-poly-☆-wireless-microsd-module-for-mojo-☆★►useful-info-on-1st-page-◄★☆.831347/page-79#post-13265521

So, those are the features I am waiting on that are supposed to be there but arent. In fact those features were a major driving factor towards me buying the poly. So very disappointing that they arent there. And having the gofigure app would be nice too.

LOL looks like the vanilla version of the app is $3.49 and rooted version is $5, unless you're rooted might as well get the one for $3.49.

Screenshot_2018-01-13-15-03-04.png

Jan 13, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #5,792 of 18,780
This series of posts got me looking for something that may allow Airplay streaming from my Android phone to Poly. I don't use Spotify but am looking for something to stream offline Tidal files to my Poly. I'm currently using bluetooth from my Android phone but after trying my wife's iPhone with Airplay to Poly I'd much prefer the sound quality of the airplay option. And no, stealing my wife's iPhone is not an option!

I did discover a couple of Apps on the Google Play store and am currently trying AllStream (requires Root) but is has intermittent dropouts and crackling streaming to Poly. I've had no playback issues with Poly from Roon or DLNA so I don't think it's a network or Poly issue. It is the free version and perhaps the low quality is a "feature" of the free version as they do say it will stop playing after a period of time ...:triportsad:

Has anyone had any success with other android apps such as Allstream which allow Airplay streaming from their music apps on their Android devices? I'm hoping to find something that will provide a better quality than bluetooth.

For those of you with Android phones who are looking for an interim way to play offline Tidal music on your Poly without resorting to bluetooth, I've been experimenting with some more apps this morning. I've found an app (which unfortunately requires root) which allows you to airplay from any music app on your phone. It seems to work quite well on both wireless in my home and using wireless hotspot access on my phone. It's the latter I'm most concerned about as I wanted it primarily for out and about usage. Like many of you with Android I'm a little disappointed at the level of priority being given to Android devices especially for features that were promised such a offline Tidal playback. I am quite happy with the results from the app I've been experimenting with and it provides a better quality audio playback than bluetooth. The app is called AirAudio and is available at the Google Play Store. It has a trial version for experimentation and costs around $5 for the full version without the beeps after a few minutes.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.airaudio

EDIT: What goes around, comes around. Apparently this exact topic and apps were discussed back in February right around the time Chord indicated that Google Cast would be supported for things like Tidal offline support on Poly. At least we appear to have some workable options for Android until that happens.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #5,793 of 18,780
I couldn't agree more--especially at $5 per app. Joe is designing and rewriting Glider as if he were our own personal software dept. In a hobby where $thousands are no object, not wanting to pay $5 for a great app amazes me. That said, I do appreciate all the great free software that's been open-sourced these days. There are some great free apps out there, especially in the Linux world. Poly is a special needs child. I listened to Poly using Glider all day yesterday. That alone was worth $5.

How would have made much more money had he sold the app for donation only instead of $5.

There are more than a few of us who are most grateful for his work.

Jan 13, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #5,796 of 18,780
Agree. Joe’s doing a great job with Glider. For the first time today, using the latest beta version, I was able to listen to music on Poly’s micro SD card via Poly’s hotspot while walking the dogs. It worked perfectly (previous attempts with earlier versions were almost unusable)! It was great to be able to skip shuffled tracks and adjust volume from my watch, too. Excellent!

Jan 14, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #5,798 of 18,780
More Poly Fun Times(tm)

The Poly light is blue and will not turn off. It is not plugged in to anything and I've since separated it from Mojo. It's been on for a good 20 minutes so far. Normally it goes off several minutes after Mojo is turned off. I cannot do anything with including config tool pin thingamajig. Do I need to let this thing's charge drain out?

Still haven't got SDcard playback yet and that's what I was attempting to troubleshoot this evening out of boredom.

Jan 14, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #5,799 of 18,780
More Poly Fun Times(tm)

The Poly light is blue and will not turn off. It is not plugged in to anything and I've since separated it from Mojo. It's been on for a good 20 minutes so far. Normally it goes off several minutes after Mojo is turned off. I cannot do anything with including config tool pin thingamajig. Do I need to let this thing's charge drain out?

Still haven't got SDcard playback yet and that's what I was attempting to troubleshoot this evening out of boredom.

I posted about this too a week ago and was told it is ‘normal behaviour’! Mine stayed on for hours (separated from the Mojo) until the battery exhausted.

What I am extremely concerned about is that I travel a lot for work... What if I was on a flight and had to turn the Poly off for take off?

If it’s normal for Poly to stay on with wireless network features enabled when Mojo is turned off (and I am unable to turn them off as a user) then this would be very problematic.

In fact, I’m sure this may also be breaking regulations in some countries relating to devices with wireless features?

As a user shouldn’t I be able to turn something off if I want to?

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #5,800 of 18,780
I see. I think you are talking about the subsequent announcement that the GoFigure app would be able to play music from the SD card. If that’s all you need, then I can see how you are waiting for a promised feature. But I still think you might need/want more than just that, anyway. And Poly was always designed to be controlled by a 3rd party app.

That is a bad idea because none of the 3rd party apps will ever work as good with the Poly as the official app from Chord themselves (unless Chord doesn’t even bother making a descent app).

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #5,801 of 18,780
I posted about this too a week ago and was told it is ‘normal behaviour’! Mine stayed on for hours (separated from the Mojo)?
As a user shouldn’t I be able to turn something off if I want to?

Agreed!

Mine is still on.

We watched a movie with Poly sitting on the table. I do not know which is worse: staring at a stuck blue light on Poly or suffering through 90 minutes of The Dark Tower.

Jan 14, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #5,802 of 18,780
I notice not a lot of KaiserTone users on the iPhone. It has never given me a problem and I can use my iCloud storage. It recognizes all my files including flac alac etc
Long time KaiserTone user here... was using it exclusively with Mojo playing hires FLAC files and DSD files using lightning OTG cable until iOS 11 broke it. KaiserTone doesn’t support DLNA, you could only stream via Bluetooth or airplay limiting to low res only...

Jan 14, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #5,803 of 18,780
Long time KaiserTone user here... was using it exclusively with Mojo playing hires FLAC files and DSD files using lightning OTG cable until iOS 11 broke it. KaiserTone doesn’t support DLNA, you could only stream via Bluetooth or airplay limiting to low res only...
not working with iOS 11? im running 10 now on my iPhone 6s plus and was going to update it in the next coming weeks. my phone is acting funny as it always does when a new iOS comes out, its them trying to get you to update its software but damn, that sucks

Jan 14, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #5,804 of 18,780
How would have made much more money had he sold the app for donation only instead of $5.

There are more than a few of us who are most grateful for his work.

Agree. Joe’s doing a great job with Glider. For the first time today, using the latest beta version, I was able to listen to music on Poly’s micro SD card via Poly’s hotspot while walking the dogs. It worked perfectly (previous attempts with earlier versions were almost unusable)! It was great to be able to skip shuffled tracks and adjust volume from my watch, too. Excellent!

Absolutely agree!!!

I think the least everyone should do is leave a good rating and review for the Glider app on the App Store.

The more ratings and positive reviews Glider gets the more Joe will benefit from his hard work, dedication and unparalleled customer service :)

Jan 14, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #5,805 of 18,780
I think this post may be expressing what I failed to: it sounds brighter and more lively.

2 weeks ago, I did go back to OTG when at arena and couldn’t get Poly to connect. It was disappointing enough for me to think, this feels like a step backwards.

Ah... brighter sound may not be a good sign...
I am also really interested to hear some detailed comparison with optical, as it is considered as the cleanest and best input for mojo.
I personally don't care about DSD or hires so the frequency limitation of optical is not important for me. I read somewhere in the tread that the ability to play DSD and so on... was the reason of the choice of usb (but not a "sound quality" argument)

Regarding the price and the focus of chord on having such impressive measurements on mojo, hugo etc... I really expect the poly to be a high-end source (meaning as clean as possible).
The usb input of mojo and/or its case, circuits etc... are not immune and I would like to obtain some measurement (as we got used to here for chord products) or more listening opinions on that.
Especially, as the wifi unit is so close to the mojo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back