Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jan 14, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #5,807 of 18,757
More Poly Fun Times(tm)

The Poly light is blue and will not turn off. It is not plugged in to anything and I've since separated it from Mojo. It's been on for a good 20 minutes so far. Normally it goes off several minutes after Mojo is turned off. I cannot do anything with including config tool pin thingamajig. Do I need to let this thing's charge drain out?

Still haven't got SDcard playback yet and that's what I was attempting to troubleshoot this evening out of boredom.

This is routine issue here. Generally we get it out in 15 minutes of trying:

On/off repeated
Disconnect poly mojo
Plug in, on/off repeated
Disconnect poly mojo while plugged in powered on
Disconnect poly mojo powered off

Eventually, one of the combinations will get the light to go off.

When it’s stuck on, poly will not work to SD card, pin, or tidal.

I believe Chord will do an exchange for those of us with issue.

I will deal directly w Chord as dealer won’t respond.

They’ll make it right.

Jan 14, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #5,809 of 18,757
Hello guys - new member here. Recent purchaser of Mojo/Poly combo, used in conjunction with Note 8, feeding Oppo PM-3, HD600, IE80S and HD25-1II.
I've spent the last week gradually reading through this entire thread (which has felt like quite the undertaking!) to get a feel for current user's experiences.
My usage case (currently) is strictly using the unit for SD card play, merely controlled by phone.
This is my first DAC and overall I'm absolutely delighted by the sonic performance and couldn't be happier.
Using it as DLNA renderer/server (via BubbleUPNP) has been problematic - starts cut off, glitching, Poly dropping network connection, no seamless gapless playback (yes I'm on latest 1.10 firmware).
So I've ended up using M.A.L.P. as an MPD frontend - this has given me the smoothest playback experience so far, including gapless sequencing.
My one issue with this setup is that M.A.L.P. isn't indexing MP3 files - although they are playable from the Files section. I'm sorry if I've overlooked this on the thread but I couldn't find if anyone had resolved this?
There's also a problem of artwork not showing up properly, regardless of deleting and rebuilding the SD card db files - although this is a secondary concern really.
I guess I also want to add to the enthusiastic clamour for the GoFigure Android App and the Bluetooth SD card play control that we've been promised so I can ditch the personal WiFi hotspot while I'm out and about - currently seems such an inefficient and inelegant solution! Any chance of becoming an Android Beta tester????? :wink:

Jan 14, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #5,810 of 18,757
Strangely I find MP3 more listenable than Bluetooth. Certainly playing a favourite track via Bluetooth, then switching to WIFI to play the same track exposes just how much better uncompressed audio sounds.

I confirm this.
After many trials I managed to force Poly to connect to my home wifi. I needed to use "legacy" mode for 2,4 GHz network on my router.
Anyways, I was accessing my old music baskup from Synology NAS and I found that 320 kbps MP3s via wifi sound far better than Tidal flacs via BT.
I was also surprised to find that AirSpot actually works quite good for Spotify and I intend to take my Poly for a walk soon, hoping that hotspot mode will not drain my Note's battery in an hour.
Still, need to use different osoftware for AIFFs, different for Spotify, and different for Tidal. Not fun.

Jan 14, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #5,811 of 18,757
Booted Poly up for a quick listen with Glider on my WiFi network and the experience was not as enjoyable as it is in hotspot mode.

Had to restart Poly twice in 15 minutes and witnessed quite a few playback issues.

That next firmware update can’t come soon enough...Poly goes back in the drawer for the time being.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #5,812 of 18,757
Sonore just announced that they are adding MQA software unfolding to their streamers. I'm not expecting to see hw MQA support in the Mojo, but it sure would be great if Poly could do software unfolding.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2018/01/mqa-support-comes-to-sonore-streamers/

Roon also announced they'll add MQA software unfolding soon, too. That'll be fantastic, but there are other use cases where Poly MQA-playback would be needed, like SD card MQA playback. (Makes me wonder wonder whether MQA software unfolding is even possible over Bluetooth, AptX, Airplay, etc. Imagine Poly could do MQA software unfold—could the TIDAL desktop app stream MQA to Poly via Airplay/Bluetooth and then have the Poly unfold?)

Jan 14, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #5,815 of 18,757
That only leaves one question. Why would anyone care about MQA? It appears to be a lossy compression algorithmn that saves no disc space and solves a non-existent problem.
Wow, what is it with this thread? I make an innocent inquiry about MQA, and the curmudgeons jump in immediately. Some of us are enthusiastic about MQA (and Poly, will we're at it)—can't you have the decency and civility to politely humor us?

I'm done. Bye-bye, Head-fi.

Jan 14, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #5,816 of 18,757
Genuinely sorry if I've inadvertently upset you. I'm new here and just interested in discussion - although I realise that MQA chat is maybe dragging this thread OT.

Jan 14, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #5,817 of 18,757
Wow, what is it with this thread? I make an innocent inquiry about MQA, and the curmudgeons jump in immediately. Some of us are enthusiastic about MQA (and Poly, will we're at it)—can't you have the decency and civility to politely humor us?

I'm done. Bye-bye, Head-fi.

Did you actually not know that MQA is a hot-button issue across a big part of the audio enthusiast landscape?
Sorry you had a bad experience here. Better luck next time.

Jan 14, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #5,818 of 18,757
I didn't mean to be uncivil in any way. My apologies if I offended the OP or anyone else. It was an honest question and I have yet to have a satisfactory answer. But I certainly don't want to start a flame war here on a Poly forum. I just think Poly/Mojo sounds fantastic as it is now and don't believe that MQA will do anything but run up Chord's costs which they have done an admirable job of keeping low for such a well-performing device (eg Poly, Mojo). Big producers like Onkyo and Sony, etc can afford to license every new technology whether they think it helps or not. It's just a cost of sales for them. A company like Chord has to think about whether what they are licensing adds to the quality of sound reproduction. The jury is still out on MQA.

Jan 14, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #5,819 of 18,757
I didn't mean to be uncivil in any way. My apologies if I offended the OP or anyone else. It was an honest question and I have yet to have a satisfactory answer. But I certainly don't want to start a flame war here on a Poly forum. I just think Poly/Mojo sounds fantastic as it is now and don't believe that MQA will do anything but run up Chord's costs which they have done an admirable job of keeping low for such a well-performing device (eg Poly, Mojo). Big producers like Onkyo and Sony, etc can afford to license every new technology whether they think it helps or not. It's just a cost of sales for them. A company like Chord has to think about whether what they are licensing adds to the quality of sound reproduction. The jury is still out on MQA.
Don't worry, I know where you are coming from.
Rob has posted in the past, that MQA reduces file sizes, by being a lossy algorithm that introduces aliasing errors, so he sees no benefit from MQA.
Neverthless some people regard MQA as being a key sales driver for them buying hifi (maybe an unsubconsious peer pressure), so will always be interested in whether Chord dacs can unfold MQA files.
For me, the issue of MQA is that it should be handled at the music source level, and the unfolded music stream then sent to a chord dac.
From a functional analysis point of view, it is not the job of the chord dacs to unfold MQA files, but rather the app that provides the music file to the chord dac.
:relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back