Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jan 12, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #5,761 of 18,778
This is where Poly stands for me right now, I turn it on, occasionally Poly turns on too, but sometimes I ahem to cycle it on off or just pull it off the Mojo and put it back on a couple times. After that, the blue flashing light happens, (searching for wifi signal). At that point I can not connect it to my iPhone via Wifi or iPhone hotspot, but can reliably connect it to the iPhone via BT. That works well, but I can not access the SD card which has all my hi res music (a major reason I bought this). If I use the SIM pin to go to Access Point mode, that works also occasionally and other times it just shuts right off and no P status lights occur, then I have to do all the cycling on and off etc. When I do get it successfully into access point mode, (green then blue lights flashing) I can connect via the poly wifi signal, but of course I can no longer get internet access. I have tried to get the iPhone hotspot to work (yes I have gone tot eh wifi settings of Poly and put in my SSID and password for the hotspot but still no luck).

So, I wanted something convenient and easy to use portably that would give me great sound. The latter is true but easy it is not. Whether it is due to some compatibility issues, bugs in the machine or other, OI am not sure, but boy is it frustrating. I don't want to return this but if it takes me 15 minuted to get it working each time, it is just not worth it. People talk about the Go-Figure app as it would be a savior and I hope they re right. One very big mistake Chord made was to not have this ready when Poly was released as this is not a very user friendly device and anything art would have alleviated the myriad of issues people have been documenting in the thread would have been appreciated and welcome.

I hope we can figure out a way to make this work. Maybe it's just that I have figured out the magic touch to get it all in working order. I ahem read most of this thread and other sites and I have tried.

It takes, on average, 15 minutes here, too. I initially made two separate requests to return to the dealer, with the first diverted and the second with no response. The return was before info landed here that this issue will be rectified by Chord.

My wife wanted to exchange it in hopes of landing one that did not have the power/connection issues. The issue is likely Poly, not Mojo, as we have two Mojos, and the issue is the same.

If you like Poly, post the waste of time, consider the correction Chord will institute. For some, it will be issues cleared up by updates and for others of us, exchange. My wife loves having the SD card function while out and about. She loves her Poly and calls her "temperamental." Its a humorous way of blowing off frustration.,

My dealings with Chord have always been positive and I'll find another dealer. I get your frustration and so do others.

I believe Chord will work out the bugs and then release "2Go", the Hugo 2 poly device.

Although I want it yesterday, I'll be patient like my wife. :).

I think Poly and 2Go are going to be wonderful products.

Jan 12, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #5,763 of 18,778
.... I initially made two separate requests to return to the dealer, with the first diverted and the second with no response. The return was before info landed here that this issue will be rectified by Chord...

Hi Peter, I'm no expert on US consumer law, but I think you would be entitled to a refund from your credit card company if you did pay by credit card.

From "https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0205-using-credit-card "...

"Disputes about Merchandise or Services. You generally can dispute charges for unsatisfactory goods or services (including issues about the quality of an item) if you made a good faith effort to resolve the dispute with the seller, if the charge is for more than $50, or if you made the purchase in your home state or within 100 miles of your current billing address. In addition to disputing the charge with the issuer, you may want to consider filing an action against the merchant in small claims court."

Jan 12, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #5,764 of 18,778
So, coming off an extended listening session, and *only for anyone who is generally having trouble-free use of Poly,* are you finding that this is the best you have ever heard your Mojo? I am consistently impressed, even after 2 years of Mojo use, how fantastic, even more detailed, and musical Mojo sounds fed by Poly. A) Roon via Airplay to Airport Express -> optical -> Mojo and B) iPhone -> CCK/USB -> Mojo are both clearly inferior to Roon -> Poly/Mojo or iPhone -> DLNA/airplay -> Poly/Mojo. After the next update and GoFigure, I'll try to do an extensive comparison among configurations, but just wondering if anyone else has the same impression. (And, I mean, clearly much better, not just "as good" or "yeah, it sounds good.")

Jan 12, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #5,765 of 18,778
So, coming off an extended listening session, and *only for anyone who is generally having trouble-free use of Poly,* are you finding that this is the best you have ever heard your Mojo? I am consistently impressed, even after 2 years of Mojo use, how fantastic, even more detailed, and musical Mojo sounds fed by Poly. A) Roon via Airplay to Airport Express -> optical -> Mojo and B) iPhone -> CCK/USB -> Mojo are both clearly inferior to Roon -> Poly/Mojo or iPhone -> DLNA/airplay -> Poly/Mojo. After the next update and GoFigure, I'll try to do an extensive comparison among configurations, but just wondering if anyone else has the same impression. (And, I mean, clearly much better, not just "as good" or "yeah, it sounds good.")

I don't understand this, but I agree with it. It sounds spectacular.

Is it, perhaps, a lowered expectation? I have not read any scientific reason why it should be "improved" but to my ears, it is.

Jan 12, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #5,766 of 18,778
I don't understand this, but I agree with it. It sounds spectacular.

Is it, perhaps, a lowered expectation? I have not read any scientific reason why it should be "improved" but to my ears, it is.

So, the differences could be the USB cable itself. Streaming bypasses that entirely. Of course, there is still a USB connection from Poly to Mojo, just very shot and presumably much less sensitive to RFI. Poly should also be pretty noiseless on battery. Will need to compare optical sources to Poly.

Jan 12, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #5,767 of 18,778

Before I got my Poly I used Roon from my Roon server connected via ethernet streamed to Roon Bridge running on a separate Atom based mini computer also connected by ethernet to my network. I had my mojo connected to the mini computer via USB. Since getting the Poly I've been using Roon streamed wirelessly directly from my server to Poly and also noticed a distinct improvement in the sound to the point where I retired my mini computer. Possibly this is purely placebo due to the new toy syndrome or the fact I'm so happy my Poly works flawlessly in this configuration. Whatever it is I find myself listening to music much more than I used to with is usually a sign that I'm getting improved results. This could be due to better sound and also due to the convenience of Poly and being able to listen anywhere in the house untethered by wires. Whatever it is I'm quite thrilled with my Poly based system and the fact I can now also enjoy Mojo quality music on the go on my morning walks. My mojo is certainly getting much more use than before I got the Poly.

Jan 12, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #5,768 of 18,778
good points here. I, too, thought, "new toy placebo" impact as well.

I asked my wife is she thought Poly/Mojo was better than, the same, or less than Mojo,.

She said that she thought it was better, but dismissed that thought and replaced it with, "I thought I was just hearing some detail that I wasn't familiar with" (listening to some music she does not normally) but then said, "When I went back to Mark Knopfler, it felt more open" to her ears.

She has 4 straight days of non stop Poly listening while working, this week.

Jan 13, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #5,769 of 18,778
After doing some testing, my Chord Mojo is actually perfectly fine. My Macbook Pro and iPad Pro always perfectly detect when my Chord Mojo is turned on with the USB cable.

It is quite amusing how Apple products (which are not tailor made for the Mojo like the Poly is) are better at detecting when Chord products are switched on then products like Poly which is made by Chord themselves.

Chord is luckly that I am not a reviewer :p

Basic things like this shouldn’t be that hard in 2018 right?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #5,770 of 18,778
Four unhappy users on Amazon UK doesn’t really prove anything. Amazon reviews are known for being either overly critical or hyper praising products, reminds me of a certain forum!!

I am not sure that is completely fair. If you took the trouble to purchase a Poly then you are entitled to review it as you see fit. Surely it is a viable review.
Excuding the obvious crazy reviews I find Amazon reviews pretty useful.

Jan 13, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #5,771 of 18,778

I have always loved the Mojo sound. Putting to one side the fact Poly does not have the pop, crackles or dropouts that Android 6 and above introduced (was one of the factors in me wanting rid of the OTG cable), Poly definitely sounds different.

Mojo is no less musical with Poly, to my ears the MojoPoly nows sounds a little brighter. I keep meaning to feed Mojo optically as to my ears that always sounded best (slightly smoother and darker than the OTG cable)
Bluetooth is a little harsh for home listening. Strangely I find MP3 more listenable than Bluetooth. Certainly playing a favourite track via Bluetooth, then switching to WIFI to play the same track exposes just how much better uncompressed audio sounds.

I wouldn't willingly go back to OTG. I hope to find sometime soon to compare MojoPoly to Mojo Optical as that was always the benchmark. Thing is, I am enjoying the sound and convenience of wireless listening too much to want to tether myself to one spot because of a cable.

Jan 13, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #5,772 of 18,778
I am not sure that is completely fair. If you took the trouble to purchase a Poly then you are entitled to review it as you see fit. Surely it is a viable review.

Yes, I would trust Amazon reviews above What HiFi reviews any day of the week. Except the reviews where a product was sent for free for review purposes.

I'm sure some people on HeadFi are frightened to say bad things about a product too, for fear they won't get selected for free stuff and review tours.

If a product is bad, then say it is, otherwise Forums like HeadFi lose credibility.

Jan 13, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #5,773 of 18,778

This is an interesting observation. I have a Chord BluDave in my main system and had always considered Mojo to be excellent for its size, portability and price, but only ‘pretty good’ when considered in a broader context against my main system. I have however been very impressed with it lately since pairing it with the Poly. My previous use of Mojo was either at home with Roon via a mRendu or, for mobile purposes, via my AK240 connected by optical cable. The latter sounded the best to me, possibly because of the superiority of optical in terms of RFI rejection.

Most of my current Mojo usage now with Poly is either Roon via Wifi at home or, for mobile purposes, files on the internal SD card. Both sound really good, but I have been particularly impressed with Roon. I have to add that I am using one of the Audeze EQ presets that happens to suit my non-Audeze headphones and I am also using the Crossfeed facility in Roon as well. These two things combined take MojoPoly to a very high standard and the quality of sound obtained is quite remarkable from such a small and conveniently portable device. I look forward to the point when those with Poly problems are able to resolve them so that they can begin to enjoy what MojoPoly delivers - I think that the value for money for when all is working for you is very good indeed.

For those using Roon, I would suggest trying the various EQ presets - there may just be one that brings your own headphones to life when using MojoPoly. I tried them just out of curiosity and was pleasantly surprised by a couple of them.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #5,774 of 18,778

Poly issues aside, Amazon review policy is corrupt.

Chinese companies abuse led to ban of free products in exchange for review so here is edgy they do:

They issue discount coupons so one can buy an item for $1.00 in exchange for review.

You’ll see many products written in similar language and similar style and dating. It’s common.

This doesn’t negate comments on poly but something to consider when reading comments.

A single employer will submit 5-10 quick reviews in a row and give a perfunctory review of another item to appear genuine.

We use amazon reviews in training and even new analysts easily spot the shill reviews.

There are still plenty of genuine reviews but it takes time to discern.

When customers gave negative reviews, they received pleading emails which turned to threatening.

Finally Amazon got involved.

The abuse is not exclusive to China, but they were the dominant offender.

Jan 13, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #5,775 of 18,778
I have always loved the Mojo sound. Putting to one side the fact Poly does not have the pop, crackles or dropouts that Android 6 and above introduced (was one of the factors in me wanting rid of the OTG cable), Poly definitely sounds different.

Mojo is no less musical with Poly, to my ears the MojoPoly nows sounds a little brighter. I keep meaning to feed Mojo optically as to my ears that always sounded best (slightly smoother and darker than the OTG cable)
Bluetooth is a little harsh for home listening. Strangely I find MP3 more listenable than Bluetooth. Certainly playing a favourite track via Bluetooth, then switching to WIFI to play the same track exposes just how much better uncompressed audio sounds.

I wouldn't willingly go back to OTG. I hope to find sometime soon to compare MojoPoly to Mojo Optical as that was always the benchmark. Thing is, I am enjoying the sound and convenience of wireless listening too much to want to tether myself to one spot because of a cable.

I think this post may be expressing what I failed to: it sounds brighter and more lively.

2 weeks ago, I did go back to OTG when at arena and couldn’t get Poly to connect. It was disappointing enough for me to think, this feels like a step backwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back