Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Dec 29, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #5,342 of 18,804
Of course this is not a conclusive test, just a mere indication of the differences I have experienced so far. I have tested back and forth a lot since I got the new Mojo yesterday and there is no doubt the newest Mojo triggers the Poly much faster both in normal room temperature and when colder, every time. Since I got the Poly I have of course used it a lot with my old Mojo and the power on time has varied from short to not powering on at all, but it has been nowhere as short as I have seen the last day with the new Mojo. Also the Mojo power button cycling through the colors and then latch on red or purple hasn´t happened once yet with the new Mojo.
I have no wish to draw any conclusions after such a short time. But I do find my observations very interesting.

I appreciate the video and also find the observations interesting. Just wanted to stress to others that this was not 100% conclusive proof of the Mojo being the culprit (yet!).

If only eveyone who was having power issues had the same opportunity to try a new Mojo in the setup, to see if the Poly was as quick to boot up as well, we could then get the focus on some of the issues pointing at hardware and not the tardy firmware. Unless Chord are aware of the issue and are working on a fix that supports the older (or should I say problematic) Mojo units.

Without going over the 350 plus pages here I don't recall whether anyone has confirmed that Chord told them the power delay was going to be fixed by a firmware update and why it was not affecting everyone (unless it was fixed in an older release).

I don't expect Chord could publicly suggest to the users here to try another Mojo - but we members can :). If I can help anyone getting their setup working it would be a pleasure to have helped.

Dec 29, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #5,346 of 18,804
no, that is incorrect. we got a firmware update right before christmas and this was already a known issue at that point. they've just never responded directly to this specific issue. and safe to assume they've likely been on vacation all week.

OK, that may be true but they have been on here:

Matt Bartlett was last seen: Today at 8:37 AM
Mojo ideas was last seen: Tuesday at 2:00 PM

So they are just choosing to not enter into the discussion at the moment, probably nothing new to report.

Dec 29, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #5,347 of 18,804
I don't think its reasonable to expect them to be on here and replying 24/7 especially during the Christmas period. It is reasonable to expect them to shine a light on and fix the start up issue in due course though.

Dec 29, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #5,348 of 18,804
...in the UK a lot of companies don't return to work until the 2nd of January or is it something more sinister.

Definitely something more sinister. I for one don't return to work until January 8th!

i guess i have to buy a new Mojo. who wants my old one?

In all honesty, after all this with MojoPoly I doubt I'd rebuy when it's time to consider a replacement.

Dec 29, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #5,349 of 18,804
To be fair this test needs a few more variations to be a reliable indication of a Mojo part in the power-up delay of the Poly.

1. If new Mojo & Poly left off for say 20 minutes does it power up Poly just as fast?
2. If after the above test you switch off and swap back to the old Mjo does it still have a delay in powering on the Poly?
3. Are both Mojos fully charged.

I'm not saying that the result you show is wrong just that more factors can be involved. I've worked with software for several decades now from testing to designing, though nothing involving control of electronics. I learned in the early days that the subtle differences in a user reporting the sequences to recreate an issue could vary, especially the intermittent issues. The phrase 'it works on the second try' etc always makes me smile. Coders here will hopefully know that variables should be initialised or preset, if not the first use can have odd results but once set it works as expected.

All I'm saying here is that we don't know if the Poly started with the new Mojo quicker as a result of an interaction a few seconds earlier when attached to the old Mojo. The likelyhood of the outcome of your test being correct is probably on the money but if Chord repeat this they would need to use several Poly/Mojo combinations all starting the first boot sequence.

Personally, I don't expect the power up to be a firmware issue. I hope that Chord can identify the build variations of Mojo & Poly units by the serial numbers and would suggest anyone with power issues raise a support issue directly with Chord. Would also suggest that the units are fully charged with a 2A plus charger as that's likely to be the first thing they suggest you try.

I concur that we need to be more systematic and that we need a bigger sample if for no other reason that everyone will have played and charged their Mojos differently over the years. Maybe we should start a poll of serial number, date of purchase, and ??? The lack of empirical evidence both me but I get the sense that this power on issue is a hardware issue, not firmware. If it is analog, it's going to be a different kind of real problem.

My Mojo is one of the oldest around, has been used lightly, and only has an occasional short poweron delay. I also often operate it plugged into power and/or keep the power topped off. This is just to point out there are a lot of uncontrolled variables here. I know this is not the best way to extend the life of conventional Li batteries, but IIRC the Mojo battery is an advanced type (lithium polymer?) that probably has different optimal charging rules anyway. Keeping the Poly and the Mojo fully charged at all times would eliminate one set of variables from the testing. Adding to that having the Poly/Mojo plugged in when starting could be a standard starting condition. We find ourselves speculating with scant evidence but the evidence we have is pointing at batteries, Of course charging is controlled by firmware isn't it?

Dec 29, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #5,350 of 18,804
no, that is incorrect. we got a firmware update right before christmas and this was already a known issue at that point. they've just never responded directly to this specific issue. and safe to assume they've likely been on vacation all week.

I agree that they have probably been trying to grab some family time during christmas.
I realise that this may not be what some of you want to hear, but there are probably an additional two factors to consider:
  1. The outsourced software consultants are probably also on vacation. The last software update was released on the last working day before christmas, so there is likely to be little/no progress on the next software updates/testing for John/Matt to report to you - quite possibly nothing to report until the software consultants have been back at work for a few days.
  2. Everyone should also bear in mind that CES 2018 opens in just 9 days. I expect that John, Matt and Rob will all be attending for the press releases and presentations of the new Chord products - I imagine that if they are devoting any time to work this week, their focus will be on ensuring that everything (products, presentations, flights, hotels, etc....) is ready for CES.

Dec 29, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #5,351 of 18,804
I don't think its reasonable to expect them to be on here and replying 24/7 especially during the Christmas period. It is reasonable to expect them to shine a light on and fix the start up issue in due course though.

I would expect them to be dark during the holidays. I don't know if Matt said anything about it or not but it would have been good since this is Chord's thread to post a notice that Chord is on holiday between Christmas and Jan. xx and will not be able to reply to posts. They certainly have a right to time off over the holidays. If this was Apple or Sony I wouldn't say that, but Chord is not some giant multi-national corporation that has 24/7 resources.

EDIT: and as has been pointed out, they have other pressing priorities.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #5,352 of 18,804

Matt and all Chord staff are on vacation until Tuesday the 2nd of January. the same goes for our design consultants responsible for the Poly. I ceased posting due to the vile personal abuse from some particularly “interesting”people on this thread.

So please understand work is ongoing and information is just from my own understanding at this time!

We are of course, aware of the power up issue. However it’s not simple because Poly can take time in powering up because it’s looking at the WiFi landscape, if it’s complex, it take longer this confused people especially at first, But underlying this some (a few ) Mojos we have discovered are giving a lower voltage (fortunately only) at lower temperatures out of their usb’s than the rest. This is due to a particular batch component, a type of input protection rectifier in the batteries charging circuit of a few Mojos. Please note that we have already altered the design of the switch on circuit within Poly to now look for a change of state and not a particular voltage to determine if Poly must turned on or not.
Despite what has been said erroneously on this thread we take at Chord take pride in supporting our customers. So we will naturally be replacing the Polys for those customers who’s units are exhibiting the problem to the build standard of Poly that can accommodate the odd performing Mojos,
I have also been advised concerning the outstanding connection issues Poly has associated with multi hub mostly large professional style American WiFi set ups will be resolved in very short order now ( many thanks to those like Jeremy L that helped with the great accurate feedback) along with other issues update prior to the release of the Gofigure app. All of which I must now apologise that we didn’t quite make the Christmas or New Year date for a finalised product that had been on all yours and our own wish lists,?

Dec 29, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #5,353 of 18,804
Matt and all Chord staff are on vacation until Tuesday the 2nd of January. the same goes for our design consultants responsible for the Poly. I ceased posting due to the vile personal abuse from some particularly “interesting”people on this thread.

So please understand work is ongoing and information is just from my own understanding at this time!

We are of course, aware of the power up issue. However it’s not simple because Poly can take time in powering up because it’s looking at the WiFi landscape, if it’s complex, it take longer this confused people especially at first, But underlying this some (a few ) Mojos we have discovered are giving a lower voltage (fortunately only) at lower temperatures out of their usb’s than the rest. This is due to a particular batch component, a type of input protection rectifier in the batteries charging circuit of a few Mojos. Please note that we have already altered the design of the switch on circuit within Poly to now look for a change of state and not a particular voltage to determine if Poly must turned on or not.
Despite what has been said erroneously on this thread we take at Chord take pride in supporting our customers. So we will naturally be replacing the Polys for those customers who’s units are exhibiting the problem to the build standard of Poly that can accommodate the odd performing Mojos,
I have also been advised concerning the outstanding connection issues Poly has associated with multi hub mostly large professional style American WiFi set ups will be resolved in very short order now ( many thanks to those like Jeremy L that helped with the great accurate feedback) along with other issues update prior to the release of the Gofigure app. All of which I must now apologise that we didn’t quite make the Christmas or New Year date for a finalised product that had been on all yours and our own wish lists,?

Mojo ideas

Thank you for a clear and transparent update which also proves the person in charge has a 24/7 job!

Dec 29, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #5,354 of 18,804

John, does this mean that it’s a hardware fix, not firmware? THat would likely mean a return to Chord, how would a dealer know they have a newer type unit?

Thanks and happy new year to you!

Dec 29, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #5,355 of 18,804

Are you able to publish the S/N numbers of the batch of Mojos with this input protection rectifier issue?
This could be an quick and easy way for any Poly owners, to identify if the root cause of some of their Poly issues, is probably their Mojo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back