Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Dec 27, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #5,236 of 18,774
Sorry. Omitted to upload quote. This was a response to McCol.
"As an aside - anybody got experience of Poly/Mojo paired with Campfire Jupiter's? I've got some arriving tomorrow and keen to hear impressions if anybody has used this combo."
Tomorrow you will be the very man to answer this!

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #5,237 of 18,774
After reading all the experiences here I still went ahead and purchased the Poly. I have a number of Mojos and the Hugo2 and just adore the sound I get from Chord. I managed to get my unit on the network and did tow updates to get me on the latest firmware. I bought Glider and can play 400Gb of music from my card, I can connect via hotspot and Roon is perfect and I have not had any drop outs. The problem is that it is practically impossible to get the Poly to start. I try every combination of splitting the units whilst turned on and off and occasionally it will oblige. Once I split the units to no avail and put the Poly on charge. An hour later I saw that the Poly had finally turned itself on and put it into hotspot mode. It was then not possible to turn it off again. So, when it is working it does everything I want, my question to this community is whether the turning on issue is a hardware fault or something that Chord will fix with firmware. I also have a rattle in my Poly like a loose grub screw. Based on this I will make a decision to keep or return the Poly.

Thanks so much, and I appreciate all the help this community provides.

Somebody may correct here but I'm not sure if the power issues has been confirmed as a hardware or firmware issues. If it was me I would be returning for an exchange.

Dec 27, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #5,238 of 18,774
After reading all the experiences here I still went ahead and purchased the Poly. I have a number of Mojos and the Hugo2 and just adore the sound I get from Chord. I managed to get my unit on the network and did tow updates to get me on the latest firmware. I bought Glider and can play 400Gb of music from my card, I can connect via hotspot and Roon is perfect and I have not had any drop outs. The problem is that it is practically impossible to get the Poly to start. I try every combination of splitting the units whilst turned on and off and occasionally it will oblige. Once I split the units to no avail and put the Poly on charge. An hour later I saw that the Poly had finally turned itself on and put it into hotspot mode. It was then not possible to turn it off again. So, when it is working it does everything I want, my question to this community is whether the turning on issue is a hardware fault or something that Chord will fix with firmware. I also have a rattle in my Poly like a loose grub screw. Based on this I will make a decision to keep or return the Poly.

Thanks so much, and I appreciate all the help this community provides.

I wonder if the start-up issues are due to the very, very odd restriction of only allowing a Poly to work with Mojo.

I just don't get that restriction at all, can anybody explain it? If the Poly was sold at a subsidised price then I could understand it.

As far as I can see it can only restrict sales of units and maybe cause these start-up issues, if that is what's causing the start-up problems, who knows.

Dec 27, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #5,239 of 18,774
Part of the problem is that the Poly seems to take several minutes to start up. I had not been waiting long enough. It does not seem to re-index the microSD card just go onto the blue steady "I am on a network" light. How long should this take to start. I have seen it start just a bit behind the Poly but now it is consistently over four minutes.

Dec 27, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #5,240 of 18,774
Part of the problem is that the Poly seems to take several minutes to start up. I had not been waiting long enough. It does not seem to re-index the microSD card just go onto the blue steady "I am on a network" light. How long should this take to start. I have seen it start just a bit behind the Poly but now it is consistently over four minutes.

I'm probably not the right person to comment, as I don't own a Poly (currently waiting for a stable app) But does the start-up time change if you use a different SD card?

Dec 27, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #5,241 of 18,774
I´m not so sure the units taking longer to power on are faulty ones. According to Chord´s own Poly FAQ the startup process is dependant on Mojo sending a certain voltage through the USB port to trigger the Poly. This voltage will only be high enough if the diode producing it has warmed up to a certain temperature. My theory is that the different climates different users live in will affect this process. For example my Poly has no problems powering on when it´s been sitting in my living room for a period of time. But in my bedroom in the morning it can sometime take a long time or not power on at all because the ambient temperature is significantly lower.
I don´t think returning my unit for a new one will solve the problem. Chord probably will have to redesign the startup process (if at all possible) in the (hopefully) next firmware.

Dec 27, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #5,242 of 18,774
I´m not so sure the units taking longer to power on are faulty ones. According to Chord´s own Poly FAQ the startup process is dependant on Mojo sending a certain voltage through the USB port to trigger the Poly. This voltage will only be high enough if the diode producing it has warmed up to a certain temperature. My theory is that the different climates different users live in will affect this process. For example my Poly has no problems powering on when it´s been sitting in my living room for a period of time. But in my bedroom in the morning it can sometime take a long time or not power on at all because the ambient temperature is significantly lower.
I don´t think returning my unit for a new one will solve the problem. Chord probably will have to redesign the startup process (if at all possible) in the (hopefully) next firmware.

Yes, drop the frankly stupid design choice to limit the Poly to work with only Mojo, if the problem is related to this restriction.

Or supply a temperature controlled cabinet with every Poly, maybe.

Dec 27, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #5,243 of 18,774
On a positive note I had a small breakthrough last night. After the latest firmware my Poly never even once showed up as a media library on my network in BubbleUPnP although it was available as a renderer. Well last night by chance I had the Bubble app open when I powered on the Poly, and voilà suddenly the Poly SD card library showed up. And this far it seems 100% stable both for playback and navigation. So my solution until next firmware update is 1. open BubbleUPnP and keeping the app window open 2. power on Mojo/Poly.
Might be of help for other Android users as well.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #5,245 of 18,774
Whether there is a card in or not did not seem to make a difference, the startup time came down to 25 seconds for both. However, I just left it off for half an hour and tried again and it took 3 minutes 27 seconds to start up. It might be heat related but the units are still warm on the outside.

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #5,246 of 18,774
I purchased a mojo and poly together and have not experienced any problems with poly startup reliability. Maybe it happens on older versions of mojo more than recent ones. How old are the mojos with startup issues?

Has this been explored by those having issues?
My set up was also bought together and no issues, be interesting if those having problems are using older Mojo’s.

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #5,247 of 18,774
Well, it seems that my Poly will start every time without having to crack the units if I just wait long enough. On the other point, do all the units rattle like as if a screw is rattling around inside?

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #5,248 of 18,774
I wonder how many of the users with issues have the same setup as those with little or no problems.

Given the linking of the Poly & Mojo can be a new set, or existing Mojo users adding a new Poly to it does make one think. Let alone the possibility of variations in the circuit boards or use of different version/make wifi components. I think I read somwewhere that the Mojo had a updated version too.

Mine were both new (Mojo & Poly) Poly is S/N PO210nn and Mojo MO499nn if that gives any indication of numbers, purchased 1st November in UK from local dealer.

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #5,249 of 18,774
Well, it seems that my Poly will start every time without having to crack the units if I just wait long enough. On the other point, do all the units rattle like as if a screw is rattling around inside?

I think I did see a post about a rattle on here, I think it was related to the light guide, but I may be wrong.

Edit: There was a case where the rattle was caused by a loose battery:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...on-1st-page-◄★☆.831347/page-332#post-13920640

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #5,250 of 18,774
I purchased a mojo and poly together and have not experienced any problems with poly startup reliability. Maybe it happens on older versions of mojo more than recent ones. How old are the mojos with startup issues?

Has this been explored by those having issues?
My set up was also bought together and no issues, be interesting if those having problems are using older Mojo’s.

I was wondering if this was the case. I have a Mojo from Dec ‘15, serial M024xxx. I do have a start-up problem now.

I did not have the problem on 1.04. It started for me with 1.06 and continues, so I think (hope) it is firmware and can be rectified. Before updates when Poly would turn on, it usually took about 40 seconds to 1.5 minutes to start. Now, reliably it will only start with a jump start from e charging cable or portable back-up battery, but it starts reliably like this instantly (no waiting at all). I know my SD card Index is built and stable, as I could see the RGB light show the first time for about 4 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back