Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Dec 16, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #4,921 of 18,821
I think what might be really helpful is for those who have a reliable and working Poly over home or office Wifi and who are using it to stream DNLA or Roon to tell us your specific configuration. Brand of router, brand and number of WAPs, how you configured the SSID and Wifi channel, your Poly configuration, etc. There is either something different about the networks that are working and those that aren't or there is a batch of bad Poly's out there that need to be exchanged for ones that work. Without more detail on those that are working it will be impossible for anyone to figure out the answer.

I’m convinced that my network was the problem. Whether Poly may be more (too?) sensitive to configuration, that may be. But Roon, DLNA, and hotspot away from home all work very well for me. Just hate that pin! If warmed or recently charging, it will turn on pretty reliably. If not, I usually have to break the Mojo/Poly connection and reassemble while on to get Poly to turn on. This mostly since 1.06.

I also used to get dropouts at my listening location over AirPlay with an Apple TV. Same when I first got Poly. I upgraded the supplied modem/router with a Netgear from Costco. No other APs. I tried various channels after scanning the environment. Initially had good luck with channel 1, but then other networks started to conflict. I set the router back to letting it decide. Really, no other special settings. All lowercase SSID with no spaces or special characters.

I actually could not be happier with the sound from MojoPoly over Roon and other modes. When the convenience factors are addressed with the app, even better. I know it’s not everyone’s experience, and I can’t even say it’s network issues for everyone where it’s not working, but just reporting my experience. Hope it helps.

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #4,922 of 18,821
I think what might be really helpful is for those who have a reliable and working Poly over home or office Wifi and who are using it to stream DNLA or Roon to tell us your specific configuration. Brand of router, brand and number of WAPs, how you configured the SSID and Wifi channel, your Poly configuration, etc. There is either something different about the networks that are working and those that aren't or there is a batch of bad Poly's out there that need to be exchanged for ones that work. Without more detail on those that are working it will be impossible for anyone to figure out the answer.

I’m not sure that I can help much, but my router is a Netgear R7000 (whole house - no additional access points). I didn’t do anything special other than grant Poly security access and then I just followed the instructions in the booklet and it just worked - I used no special tricks or techniques. I did give Poly high priority WiFi access which I do with my other main streaming devices as I have found that that helps continuity when there is a lot of traffic on the network. I prefer Ethernet for serious streaming for Music and Video rather than WiFi, but I do have a couple of audio devices which are WiFi and they work ok. All told, I have 28 devices that may be connected, but rarely more than 3 or 4 in actual use at the same time. My SD card works with 8Player and Glider and I did find a way of getting album artwork for Poly using Glider, which I posted about a couple of pages back.

My control devices are mainly an iPhone X but I get the same results using iPad’s at home.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #4,923 of 18,821
Here is a quick and blurry video for the iOS users out there to get to the optimal current playback experience from your MicroSD card using Glider:

This is a great video @JeremyLaurenson. Please keep them coming. I may even pull the trigger and tell Moon Audio to ship my unit (presently on hold until I feel more confident about the Poly's performance). This video and others should be clustered together at the top of this thread. Poly owners (and would-be Poly owners) really need resources like the ones Jeremy and others have produced.

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #4,925 of 18,821

I’m using an EERO with latest software. I have 9 units for total coverage. The slowest wireless (not net speed) I have in my house is 130Mbs. Where I listen I tested with reliable throughput closer to 200Mbs.

No issues with other devices streaming wirelessly. Even had Mojo connected to both a MacBook Pro and HP Spectre wirelessly playing through my main system with Roon NEVER experiences without drop outs.

My Poly connects without issue to the network it will stutter and/or stop while listening with Roon. Like I said Mojo connected to a notebook which is connected to my network works flawlessly with Roon.

Not sure if Poly doesn’t like EERO but mesh networks are becoming more not less ubiquitous

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #4,926 of 18,821
I’d day that soon we might see Chord raising an Kickstarter or IndieGoGo campaign for collecting funds in order to start developing the GoFigure app.

There is still time until NY and my 10$ are on the table. I’m the betting guy!

Sorry, but Kickstarter won't accept you unless you have a working prototype. Best try Indiegogo, anything goes there

Dec 16, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #4,928 of 18,821
The main problem I have with the Poly on home WiFi is when I switch access points. If I don't move between them, DLNA runs great. No stutters, drops, or errors. But when I move to a different access point, I'll get a single stutter, a double stutter, or complete disconnect. This seems to be a common thread with many people posting here. Hoping the next FW update fixes it.

On the bright side, last two betas from @joe28 have resolved the problems I'd been having when using my Apple Watch to control Glider. It's pretty wonderful to control playback without having to pull out my iPhone.

Seriously, if you are an iOS user and a Poly owner, spend the $5 to buy Glider. You will be happy you did!!

Dec 16, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #4,929 of 18,821
I’m not sure that I can help much, but my router is a Netgear R7000 (whole house - no additional access points). I didn’t do anything special other than grant Poly security access and then I just followed the instructions in the booklet and it just worked - I used no special tricks or techniques. I did give Poly high priority WiFi access which I do with my other main streaming devices as I have found that that helps continuity when there is a lot of traffic on the network. I prefer Ethernet for serious streaming for Music and Video rather than WiFi, but I do have a couple of audio devices which are WiFi and they work ok. All told, I have 28 devices that may be connected, but rarely more than 3 or 4 in actual use at the same time. My SD card works with 8Player and Glider and I did find a way of getting album artwork for Poly using Glider, which I posted about a couple of pages back.

My control devices are mainly an iPhone X but I get the same results using iPad’s at home.

Do you run both 2,4Ghz and 5ghz?
I have the same router as you and an EX7000 as wifi extender (using 2,4Ghz to connect R7000 to EX7000)
And I can not make Poly connect to my 2,4Ghz wifi.
I've just tried an old Linksys wifi G router as access point and Poly is connected but then Glider apps keep saying "Uh Oh Your request timed out" error

Dec 16, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #4,930 of 18,821
Do you run both 2,4Ghz and 5ghz?
I have the same router as you and an EX7000 as wifi extender (using 2,4Ghz to connect R7000 to EX7000)
And I can not make Poly connect to my 2,4Ghz wifi.
I've just tried an old Linksys wifi G router as access point and Poly is connected but then Glider apps keep saying "Uh Oh Your request timed out" error

Yes, I run both and I connect Poly to 2.4. I have security turned on so that I have to give permission before any new device can connect.

Dec 16, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #4,931 of 18,821
Hi guys!

I have had the Poly for two days now. It´s been somewhat frustrating up until today when I decided to get an Asus Wireless-AC750 wifi extender. Using BubbleUPnP or M.A.L.P was very slow and sluggish and I suspected the bad wifi coverage in my house.
Theory confirmed. After installing the extender today Poly has so far worked flawlessly. Both UI speed and playback has been very stable for hours now. Crossing my fingers it lasts:) (Although M.A.L.P runs just as sluggish)

But one BubbleUPnP issue I hope you guys can help with: unless I initially hit the "master" play button at the top of playlists or albums, playback always stops after each track and the skip forward button doesn´t work. Very annoying. I am spanking new to this DLNA thing and BubbleUPnP and would very much appreciate your help. For info I´m using a Sony Xperia X Performance.
Thanks!

Dec 16, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #4,932 of 18,821
Despite the volume of (mostly) justified complaints about Poly, I wonder how many have actually sent it back? For me at least, it's just so good when it works that I'm prepared to keep the faith, ride it out and hope they manage to fix all the issues. One day I'll bore my grandkids with tales of how I had to use a pin to swap modes...

In my case, I had constant and infuriating drop-outs at home in the UK using BT Infinity / Smart Hub. I'm now at work in Spain and in my apartment I can stream from Audirvana+ for hours on end without a single glitch. Glider works pretty flawlessly too, apart from stuttering and sometimes dropping the connection when I swap apps on my phone. So, my Poly isn't broken (huge relief), and I'm loving that I can actually use it at the moment, but I'm still no closer to figuring out what I need to do to get it working at home. Hopefully Chord is busy doing that for me.

Dec 16, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #4,933 of 18,821
Been having a play around today with Poly and checking out a few options. I have an old HTC One Android phone so updated that to see if I could use it as the control app and not use the iPhone (to save battery life and so I don't lose the iPhone or leave it on the train).

The Android version was updated to 5.01 but there is no sim in the phone so I could not put it in hotspot mode (I'm avoiding Poly hotspot for the moment so I can see how it works as part of a mobile network) . I also have an old MiFi (Huwei E545) which can be setup as a wi-fi ap if set correctly and a with a non-connected Sim in so no costs incurred. I set the ip base address of the mifi as 192.168.2.1 to avoid conflicts and both the phone and Poly connect consistently.

Loaded a DLNA app found here

All seems to work a lot better and anytime I disconnected the phone, mi-fi or Poly they all reconnected OK. Not seen any pause in the app though the page says it will do and can be negated if upgraded (£1.79). It also remembers the last connections so does not blast music from the phone before you reset to the Poly as output.

Pushing my luck a bit I managed to have Poly serving music to my iphone playing one track whilst playing another track to the dnla client on the HTC, and seeing the same track on the 2 phones (different apps) following the playback of the Poly.

Will be interesting to see how this goes on my commute on Monday, I will then try just using the Poly hotspot to keep IOS out of the loop on the way home. This all came about as I was unable to get the iPhone & Poly working properly on the way home Friday and started losing the album art again - though it worked fine once I got home.

So if you have an Android phone and want to listen from sd card on the go the HiFi Cast app looks quite promising though you may want to use your phone hotspot or the Poly hotspot :)

Dec 16, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #4,934 of 18,821
I am setting up a Wiki in order to document how to use Poly. If you're interested in helping, PM me and Ill create you an account. I certainly need Roon documented, and some stuff for Android users.

This way we don't have to quote things over and over, and I have included my setup videos:

http://www.map-pin.com/wiki/doku.php?id=chordpoly

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #4,935 of 18,821
I am setting up a Wiki in order to document how to use Poly. If you're interested in helping, PM me and Ill create you an account. I certainly need Roon documented, and some stuff for Android users.

This way we don't have to quote things over and over, and I have included my setup videos:

http://www.map-pin.com/wiki/doku.php?id=chordpoly

:L3000: Nice! Thanks. If I had a consistently functional Poly I''d be happy to help. Maybe after we get the long-awaited firmware upgrade it'll be stable and I'll volunteer. When we get GoFigure it should be much easier to navigate Poly from task to task. So be it hoped. "all I want for Christmas is....[insert your Poly wish here.]"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back