Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Dec 4, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #4,306 of 18,826
had iOS 11.2 during my playing the other day, so didn't work for me.

I also don't think it can be everyone's network or ineptitude causing issues, everything else on Wi-Fi works fine here.

Here's hoping the GoFigure app and the next FW release resolve it all for us all.

I have yet to try Roon, as if I like it I'd buy the lifetime membership @$499 (unless someone has codes :wink: )

I have had to restart my iPhone for Poly to show up as well... Its certainly not consistent.

It's not Network or Ineptitude - I am a Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (8849) and I have been having all manner of issues.

As @Mojo ideas said, the implementation of DLNA in clients and servers is all over the map. In addition there are some Poly bugs, some Apple Bugs and I am sure some app specific bugs.

In some cases the developers have coded in "workarounds" allowing stuff to work.

All this together = massive inconsistency.

Dec 4, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #4,307 of 18,826
Roon sounds fantastic with Poly. The Roon support team has been great in helping me resolve a setup issue and even extended my trial. I’m also thinking of a lifetime membership but also hope I do come across a code.

+1 for Roon, it works very well for me with Poly and has me able to listen to my music anywhere in the house or on the patio. I previously was using a small Atom based computer as an endpoint for Roon so Poly has greatly freed up the ability to move around with no loss of sound quality. I purchased a lifetime membership when Roon first came out and it's one of the best audio purchases I've ever made.

My experience with Poly so far has been very positive with no drop outs and reliable connectivity to my network based on Apple routers. I recently had some surgery and am stuck at home for a bit and have even been using Poly to stream audio from my TV with bluetooth, something I never expected to be using. It's nice to have that flexibility. I'm looking forward to the app to simplify out and about usage with the SD card and at times bluetooth streaming of offline Tidal files from my Android phone. Hopefully the tidal offline thing will be resolved with Android. I have considered going back to an iPhone for airplay functionality but may just wait a bit and see what Chord comes up with.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the Poly.

Dec 4, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #4,308 of 18,826
Glad to know the DB is now ok at home - have you tried Poly's hotspot again to see if the DB is now working?
I just wonder whether Poly hadn't been on the internet long enough after the install to validate back to the update server to activate all the new functions. Putting it in hotspot mode would disconnect Poly from the internet.
When you tried at home and Poly had internet access again it was able to validate so the DB started working correctly.

With the missing album artwork can you try something?
Put your SD card back in a computer and delete the following files:-
dlna-sdfree.dat
files.db
mpd.db

Put the SD card back in Poly and allow it to rebuild the database.

Removing these files will force Poly to re-write the database using the new firmware and add new versions of the 3 files back to the SD card.

Hi Matt. I've had a chance to play around with the SD playback today. Some observations...

- If the .dat and .db files are deleted the database rebuilds and I get artwork.

- If I turn the poly off and an again (on the same network) some artwork disappears. It is random each time as to what artwork vanishes. Each time I turn off/on more artwork disappears.

- If I change network all the artwork disappears.

- I have to delete the .dat and .db files to rebuild the database and get them back.

- The data base seems to occasionally (and randomly) rebuild when I sometimes change network to turn the poly off/on.

- The Glider beta seems to be working well, although I have to close/relaunch the app if I turn poly off and on again, otherwise I get time-out errors (I don't get this issue with Glider and my other DLNA server).

- 8player has totally stopped being able to recognise poly on any network/hotspot mode. I'm not sure is this is because of a recent 8player update.

I'm on iOS 11.2 and iPhone X.

Dec 4, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #4,309 of 18,826
+1 for Roon, it works very well for me with Poly and has me able to listen to my music anywhere in the house or on the patio. I previously was using a small Atom based computer as an endpoint for Roon so Poly has greatly freed up the ability to move around with no loss of sound quality. I purchased a lifetime membership when Roon first came out and it's one of the best audio purchases I've ever made.

My experience with Poly so far has been very positive with no drop outs and reliable connectivity to my network based on Apple routers. I recently had some surgery and am stuck at home for a bit and have even been using Poly to stream audio from my TV with bluetooth, something I never expected to be using. It's nice to have that flexibility. I'm looking forward to the app to simplify out and about usage with the SD card and at times bluetooth streaming of offline Tidal files from my Android phone. Hopefully the tidal offline thing will be resolved with Android. I have considered going back to an iPhone for airplay functionality but may just wait a bit and see what Chord comes up with.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the Poly.

There are many here who share your opinion, however, when you report on this thread as you do the implied assumption is that:
#1 either you have a functional Poly different from the many others here who have not had the same experience
OR
#2 the many of us who are having dropouts, etc are doing something wrong

Dec 4, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #4,310 of 18,826
Hi Matt. I've had a chance to play around with the SD playback today. Some observations...

- If the .dat and .db files are deleted the database rebuilds and I get artwork.

- If I turn the poly off and an again (on the same network) some artwork disappears. It is random each time as to what artwork vanishes. Each time I turn off/on more artwork disappears.

- If I change network all the artwork disappears.

- I have to delete the .dat and .db files to rebuild the database and get them back.

- The data base seems to occasionally (and randomly) rebuild when I sometimes change network to turn the poly off/on.

- The Glider beta seems to be working well, although I have to close/relaunch the app if I turn poly off and on again, otherwise I get time-out errors (I don't get this issue with Glider and my other DLNA server).

- 8player has totally stopped being able to recognise poly on any network/hotspot mode. I'm not sure is this is because of a recent 8player update.

I'm on iOS 11.2 and iPhone X.

Oh, forgot to add, if poly is set to always start in hotspot mode the database rebuilds every time it's turned on.

Dec 4, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #4,311 of 18,826
Anybody using Android phone here?
I can't get DSD file playing on all the apps I've tested, BubbleUPnP and Hi-Fi Cast.
I can get DSD file playing by ticking DoP option inside JRiver, but that option isn't available on both of the Android apps.

Dec 4, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #4,312 of 18,826
Apologies if this has already been answered somewhere. What is the go-to app with regards SD Card playback, for an Android user? I'm *only* using FLAC files - nothing fancy like DSD.
Will there be a 'Music Player' app built into the pending GoFigure app, or are we faced with using whatever third-party app best serves this purpose (as is the case currently with most of Poly's functionality).
I am patient and have had no problems with Roon, but I'm hardly a power-user and feel that dedicated and intuitive software - to complement the undoubtedly impressive hardware - would have alleviated a lot of the problems users are experiencing.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #4,313 of 18,826
Apologies if this has already been answered somewhere. What is the go-to app with regards SD Card playback, for an Android user? I'm *only* using FLAC files - nothing fancy like DSD.
Will there be a 'Music Player' app built in to the pending GoFigure app, or are we faced with using whatever third-party app best serves this purpose (as is the case currently with most of Poly's functionality).
I am patient and have had no problems with Roon, but I'm hardly a power-user and feel that dedicated and intuitive software - to complement the undoubtedly impressive hardware - would have alleviated a lot of the problems users are experiencing.
Thanks in advance.

The Go-figure app will remove the need to use any third party app for browsing and playing music on the SD card.

Dec 4, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #4,316 of 18,826
Considering picking up a Poly for use mostly AirPlaying to it from Spotify. If I'm traveling, how would I go about doing this off wifi? Does the bluetooth work decently at all?

Dec 4, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #4,319 of 18,826
Another “data point” reporting for duty.

TL;DR — IMO, this is not ready for prime-time. However, there is a wonderful gem in there that will require a lot more polishing. In the end, I’m (personally) confident this will shine very brightly. In the erstwhile, if you need perfection from this, please wait a while longer before diving in.

I received my Poly last week from TTVJ. There was a print out inside the shipping box from Bluebird Music titled, “Poly Need to Know Set-Up Tips.” I was intrigued by 3 of the 16 points listed.

1. Please read the manual carefully.
  2. Please re-read the manual.

16. In addition to solid network infrastructure, Customers need a fair bit of network experience to use this product, it requires patience and is not plug and play.

In short, RTFM (but maybe not as carefully as the first time:smile_phones:) and you will probably run into problems.

I believe that the hardware is up to challenge that Chord as undertaken. But hardware is not much good without proper firmware and software. Another poster speculated that a couple of more firmware updates will fix most everything. I’m not sure it will only be 2 updates, but it will happen in the very near future, imo.

I’ve tried Glider, 8 Player, and Creation5. Of these, I’ve been working mostly with Glider. @joe28 has been wonderful to work with. I can’t speak highly enough about his thoroughness and responsiveness. I’m using latest build (30) of the beta, and it is getting real close.

Yes, there are a LOT of problems I’ve run into, similar to other posts. One issue that hasn’t been raised (I think) is losing complete connection when moving between WiFi nodes. I have an AirPort Extreme and 2 AirPort Expresses hard-wired together. Most all of my equipment is hard-wired; very little operates over WiFi. I’ve had this issue using all three apps. Even happens using Audrivana+.

Am I frustrated? Yes. Is it getting better since I got it 5 days ago? Absolutely. I’m willing to be patient and work my way through these issues.

regards,

rob

Dec 4, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #4,320 of 18,826
I received my Poly last week from TTVJ. There was a print out inside the shipping box from Bluebird Music titled, “Poly Need to Know Set-Up Tips.” I was intrigued by 3 of the 16 points listed.
  1. Please read the manual carefully.
  2. Please re-read the manuak
16. In addition to solid network infrastructure, Customers need a fair bit of network experience to use this product, it requires patience and is not plug and play.

That must have been TTVJ provided - I have no such printout :wink:

I have crazy solid network here - 1GB down, 250MB up internet, two enterprise grade switches and 5 enterprise quality access points as well as the chops to run all of them...
However right now Poly isnt showing up on my iPhone as a renderer despite my fancy "Upgrade to iOS 11.2" post above.

Rebooting iPhone seems to fix until the next time....

So....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back