Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Dec 4, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #4,337 of 18,755
I know it's boring, but I'm still perplexed by the charging behaviour of my MojoPoly. I'm using both 'intelligent' Anker 2.4A charger and 'dumb' Samsung 2A charger, and since the new firmware update, it seems to stick on white light. M-status light goes out as normal, but the P-status light just stays on white for hours (it could be permanent, but I end up unplugging it to use it eventually). Before the firmware update, it was going out when charged, which at least had the benefit of demonstrating that it had charged.

I'm not worried about it, but it is confusing, and it's not what the manual says should be happening. I suspect I'm not the only one with idiosyncratic behaviour, and I absolutely accept that it could be more to do with the chargers than the Poly. It would be good to get a bit more definitive guidance on the subject.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #4,338 of 18,755
I have a Mojo, which is why I'm interested. Love the Mojo. Hate the Apple Connector + usb combo.

Yeah, welcome to the club! I hate the wires too. It's like i said: If your main usage scenario is out and about then it may be better to wait a bit until the dust has settled and the gofigure app is out which should handle your files on the sd card much easier. If you want use it like i am: 75% in the house with audirvana, Roon, Asset uPnP and Airplay, then i would recommend to buy it. For me it works almost perfectly with this use case. Other then that i trust CHORD and think they get the rest sorted out within the coming weeks/month.

Dec 4, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #4,339 of 18,755
If I'm out and about, is there any other way to get my music without a SD card? I don't own music. I save offline in Tidal/Spotify. How do people get around this? I don't want to use third party apps besides Spotify/Tidal. I just want flexibility and don't want to kill sound quality.

Dec 4, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #4,340 of 18,755
There's more of us
I know it's boring, but I'm still perplexed by the charging behaviour of my MojoPoly. I'm using both 'intelligent' Anker 2.4A charger and 'dumb' Samsung 2A charger, and since the new firmware update, it seems to stick on white light. M-status light goes out as normal, but the P-status light just stays on white for hours (it could be permanent, but I end up unplugging it to use it eventually). Before the firmware update, it was going out when charged, which at least had the benefit of demonstrating that it had charged.

I'm not worried about it, but it is confusing, and it's not what the manual says should be happening. I suspect I'm not the only one with idiosyncratic behaviour, and I absolutely accept that it could be more to do with the chargers than the Poly. It would be good to get a bit more definitive guidance on the subject.
There's more of us seeing this behavior after the update, different chargers tested before and after. It might be intended like that, otherwise leaving it charging overnight would make it possible to wake up to a depleted Poly battery, as it stays on as long as it detects power input. As this is how it works, it's better to drain external power, not its own internal battery. At first it felt strange to me too, but now I think it makes sense! And the manual is already...outdated by now.

Dec 4, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #4,341 of 18,755

@Feedbacker My Poly light stays white as well, but when I disconnect the charging cable the light flashes blue for a sec. This behavior didn't start until after the last firmware update. Before the update the Poly led would be solid Blue when finished charging.

Dec 4, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #4,342 of 18,755
There's more of us

There's more of us seeing this behavior after the update, different chargers tested before and after. It might be intended like that, otherwise leaving it charging overnight would make it possible to wake up to a depleted Poly battery, as it stays on as long as it detects power input. As this is how it works, it's better to drain external power, not its own internal battery. At first it felt strange to me too, but now I think it makes sense! And the manual is already...outdated by now.

You're right about the manual, of course.

Dec 4, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #4,343 of 18,755
If I'm out and about, is there any other way to get my music without a SD card? I don't own music. I save offline in Tidal/Spotify. How do people get around this? I don't want to use third party apps besides Spotify/Tidal. I just want flexibility and don't want to kill sound quality.

If you dont have music on an sd card then it makes not much sense to carry poly with mojo. I know you hate wires, but it would be much easier in this case to use a short wire between mojo and iphone to get the best quality. I simply see no benefit in fiddeling with Wifi Settings only for playing Spotify or TIDAL over WIFI or Bluetooth. If you abvsolutely must use your iPhone separately but within Range of mojo, then you can use mojo with poly over Bluetooth, which seems the easiest solution.

Dec 4, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #4,344 of 18,755
@Feedbacker My Poly light stays white as well, but when I disconnect the charging cable the light flashes blue for a sec. This behavior didn't start until after the last firmware update. Before the update the Poly led would be solid Blue when finished charging.

Yes, the blue flash when disconnecting. I get that too.

I just think it would be good to have a visual indication of when the Poly is fully charged.

Dec 4, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #4,345 of 18,755

Same here. Since the update, Poly was charging for around 10 hours without getting fully charged (as evident because of the white light); I ended up unplugging it and the light was blue ie fully charged.
The update may have influenced how it behaves when fully charged. At least I no longer see steady blue light meaning all charged as it goes out (pre-update, that is)

Dec 4, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #4,347 of 18,755

If your phone is an iPhone, then you can play offline Tidal saved on your iPhone over wifi. Put the Poly in wifi (not Roon) mode and turn on the iPhone hot spot. If Poly has already been set up to know your hotspot network, it will connect on its own (your phone will show "1 connection" in the blue banner). Select the Poly as the output device in the Tidal app and it plays - very well, in fact (doing it now).

Dec 4, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #4,348 of 18,755
Yes, the blue flash when disconnecting. I get that too.

I just think it would be good to have a visual indication of when the Poly is fully charged.
Yes, a full charge indication would be good, not sure how would that be possible though... But as for now it's better than before, we get a full battery after a night charge. We can estimate the time spent charging and we have the light color when unplugged from power, it's not that bad after all!

Dec 4, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #4,349 of 18,755
Same here. Since the update, Poly was charging for around 10 hours without getting fully charged (as evident because of the white light); I ended up unplugging it and the light was blue ie fully charged.
The update may have influenced how it behaves when fully charged. At least I no longer see steady blue light meaning all charged as it goes out (pre-update, that is)

It does turn Blue to indicate a full charge once you re-attach it to Mojo though

Dec 4, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #4,350 of 18,755
@Feedbacker +1 Agreed. I think the Blue light was the indicater that it is charged. The indicator was broken with the firmware update.

I agree with others, but let me try to sum up:
- Prior to the update, the Poly would stop charging when full and the light would change from white to blue. But, Poly was still active on the network in some state of drawing power, and might drain itself depending on the charger's behavior (not good).
- After the update, Poly stays charging when plugged in, regardless of charged state. this may put more strain on the battery, but will avoid the potential for draining after charging.

Perhaps matt can confirm the behavior and intent. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back