Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Nov 19, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #3,646 of 18,802
currently Poly is unusable for me. It does not like my WiFi access points (Meraki) at home or at work.

I mirror your thoughts about Poly being unusable via the Meraki APs in my home and at work. The app will either make or break my perception of this product - if the bluetooth control of MicroSD playback works flawlessly I'll be a happy camper.

Nov 19, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #3,647 of 18,802
I mirror your thoughts about Poly being unusable via the Meraki APs in my home and at work. The app will either make or break my perception of this product - if the bluetooth control of MicroSD playback works flawlessly I'll be a happy camper.

I am working with Chord directly and have sent quite a bit of data over. Meraki logs etc Also happy to do sniffer traces.

@Mojo ideas @Matt Bartlett I have offered to ship one of these access points to your folks in order to have them be able to test.

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #3,648 of 18,802
Yes as @jarnopp has posted. To meet worldwide legislation Poly is restricted to the first 11 WiFi channels.
This is the same for many other wireless products which is probably why channels 12 & 13 have the least noise in your building........

Okay. So how does Apple get around this issue then? I have Phone 6S, IPhone 4s (purchased in USA), 4 IPads (Two from USA), Mac Book Pro, and all of then can use the Wifi on Channel 12 and 13.

Nov 20, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #3,650 of 18,802
Okay. So how does Apple get around this issue then? I have Phone 6S, IPhone 4s (purchased in USA), 4 IPads (Two from USA), Mac Book Pro, and all of then can use the Wifi on Channel 12 and 13.

Do you live in the US? My understanding is that when you set up an Apple device it will register which country you are in and it will change the WiFi configuration accordingly ( well at least it is supposed to ). We will add this functionality to a wish list to see what we can do in a future update.

Nov 20, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #3,651 of 18,802
Do you live in the US? My understanding is that when you set up an Apple device it will register which country you are in and it will change the WiFi configuration accordingly ( well at least it is supposed to ). We will add this functionality to a wish list to see what we can do in a future update.

No sir, I live in Mainland China. I am an expat and I brought several of my apple products with me when I moved here. Obviously, now that I know about this poly limitation, I have adjusted so I can use my poly. Let me ask you this... if there are other wifi signals present in my building, what influence, if any, they would have on Poly operating when streaming the data from it's built in SD card? I only intend to use Poly with an MDP client. So do I need to be concerned about Wifi noise an a particular channel?

Just doing a basic search on the issue, it does not seem that 12 and 13 are banned, more they are restricted. If we are to assume Wiki is accurate?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

Nov 20, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #3,652 of 18,802
No sir, I live in Mainland China. I am an expat and I brought several of my apple products with me when I moved here. Obviously, now that I know about this poly limitation, I have adjusted so I can use my poly. Let me ask you this... if there are other wifi signals present in my building, what influence, if any, they would have on Poly operating when streaming the data from it's built in SD card? I only intend to use Poly with an MDP client. So do I need to be concerned about Wifi noise an a particular channel?

Just doing a basic search on the issue, it does not seem that 12 and 13 are banned, more they are restricted. If we are to assume Wiki is accurate?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

I can't really say what influence the other WiFi networks would make in your building and it is something you will have to test. Your router will determine which channels you use so if you have problems just choose another.
Yes perhaps restricted would have been a better term. The trouble is the power levels need to be so low that it causes drop out problems and poor range.

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #3,655 of 18,802
I'm sure there's something obvious I'm missing here, but poly does not show up as poly in my phone's Bluetooth connections. It shows up as BlueZ 5.37. Also, when connected thru Bluetooth, the blue p status light just flashes continuously so I have no clue what the battery status is.

What phone are you using?
Are you able to PM me with your serial number?

Yes when using playing music through Bluetooth you can't see the battery status until you stop playing. When the app is released you will be able to use this to check battery level when playing.

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #3,656 of 18,802
What phone are you using?
Are you able to PM me with your serial number?

Yes when using playing music through Bluetooth you can't see the battery status until you stop playing. When the app is released you will be able to use this to check battery level when playing.
Ok nice to know about the app. I'm using the LG v20. I'll pm you my serial number.

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #3,657 of 18,802
@Mojo ideas. Please could you tell me if the m status should be visible? Mind doesn’t light up. Can see it very faint in dark when p status isn’t illuminated. Thanks.
I can bet you have the exact problem as I had. Look at both sides of Poly, the connections one and the charging one. You should see the ends of the transparent plastic tube coming OUT of them just like little LEDs coming out of the tiny holes. It must take the light from Mojo and transfer it to Poly black window pinhole (M status) If not, you just see a really faint diffuse light. The tube is displaced. Look at my pictures and see how it was on mine. It`s no big deal, but taking out and putting back the black window it`s a real pain. The decision is yours (guarantee etc) but it`s no big deal, I was even thinking of putting some optical fiber for more brightness.

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #3,659 of 18,802

Ok, I have found what I believe is the issue with Poly on my network specifically.
DLNA uses SSDP as a protocol to discover services.
The SSDP protocol can discover Plug & Play devices, with uPnP (Universal Plug and Play). SSDP uses unicast and multicast address (239.255.255.250). SSDP is HTTP like protocol and works with NOTIFY and M-SEARCH methods.

8Player comes up on the iOS device and sends an SSDP broadcast asking for clients to respond: (10.0.1.147 sends out a message to 239.255.255.250)

Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 11.54.00 AM.png

All my other DLNA devices (Sonos Zoneplayers) respond with a UDP packet back containing information about themselves:
Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 11.55.56 AM.png

But not the poly (Notice that the iPhone "talk to me if youre a DLNA box" packet # was 273/274 and here are ALL the UDP packets sent to the phone - none of them from 10.0.1.111)
Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 12.01.16 PM.png

Walkthrough here:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back