Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Nov 19, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #3,631 of 18,741
Apologies in advance for a noob question. I'm really liking the Roon trial that came with Poly and I've been using it to play Tidal music through my Naim Mu-so. Since the Mu-so isn't a Roon end-point, all streaming is done via Airplay. Would using my Poly in Roon mode (i.e. as a roon end-point) and then setting Mojo to line-level output and connecting it to the analog input on the Mu-so be an effective way around this and allow me to stream higher res tracks, or am I missing something obvious here? I assume that the Mu-so DAC won't come into play since it's receiving an analog signal?

You got it right sir :wink:

It's possible that the Mu-so has an ADC behind the analog input, so that the analog signal from Mojo is converted to digital and then to analog from the internal DAC.

But according to some even then it could sound better...

Anyways the way you described will definitely sound better than airplay

Cheers

Nov 19, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #3,633 of 18,741

It's possible that the Mu-so has an ADC behind the analog input, so that the analog signal from Mojo is converted to digital and then to analog from the internal DAC.

Cheers

My Tag McLaren Processor also converts analogue inputs back to digital and applies room correction. So I was pretty sceptical that adding a DAC to a Sonos via analogue input and then attached Daps would make a significant improvement.

How wrong I was, firstly a Rega DAC and then even more so, a Hugo and Hugo 2, made big improvements.

So I guess if the extra conversion is done near transparently, the DAC goodness shines through!

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #3,634 of 18,741

Cheers

Thanks for that, audi0nick128. I've got it set up like that now and while I couldn't swear that there's a huge improvement over Airplay, it sounds bloody great to me!

Nov 19, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #3,635 of 18,741
My Tag McLaren Processor also converts analogue inputs back to digital and applies room correction. So I was pretty sceptical that adding a DAC to a Sonos via analogue input and then attached Daps would make a significant improvement.

How wrong I was, firstly a Rega DAC and then even more so, a Hugo and Hugo 2, made big improvements.

So I guess if the extra conversion is done near transparently, the DAC goodness shines through!

Nice to hear your first hand experience, especially with Hugo(2).
I have to admit I am still a little sceptic and will likely follow trough with my Voxativ diy project for H2, but I heard my dealer will have a killer offer for KEF LS 50 Wireless... So with your experience in mind I might give them a try :wink:

Thanks for that, audi0nick128. I've got it set up like that now and while I couldn't swear that there's a huge improvement over Airplay, it sounds bloody great to me!

Well that's the most important... Give yourself some time to adjust to the new sound. I often need a while to really appreciate something new in the chain.

Cheers

Nov 19, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #3,638 of 18,741
I am curious how well ROON runs on your Synology. ...

Me too. I will start the trial in a few weeks and see. It's a DS1515+ with Intel Atom 2.4GHz CPU. I had bumped the ram up to 6GB from default 2GB since the Synology also acts as Plex server and delivers all my music to SONOS and CXN streamer. Interested in ROON the more I read about it. Also curious if ROON will work well with CXN (ie. album art display) even though it is not a Roon-Ready endpoint.

Nov 19, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #3,639 of 18,741
Well, after scratching my head for last 6 hours, I discovered the wifi issue poly has. Poly does not support 2.4Ghz channels 12 or 13, which just happen to be the least noisy channels in my building. Set to automatic channel, or up to 11, poly will get a solid Blue light, but not channel 12 or 13.

@ MojoIdea Can you provide feedback on this?

Nov 19, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #3,640 of 18,741
Well, after scratching my head for last 6 hours, I discovered the wifi issue poly has. Poly does not support 2.4Ghz channels 12 or 13, which just happen to be the least noisy channels in my building. Set to automatic channel, or up to 11, poly will get a solid Blue light, but not channel 12 or 13.

You must not be in North America, because 12, 13, and 14 are not allowed. That is probably why they have implemented it this way.

Nov 19, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #3,641 of 18,741
You must not be in North America, because 12, 13, and 14 are not allowed. That is probably why they have implemented it this way.

Yep, not in USA or UK. I am however using a Apple router, which does support those channels if your not using in USA or the UK.

Nov 19, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #3,643 of 18,741
Playing with my Poly today trying to figure out why I get drop-outs and complete stoppages when using Roon to stream to Poly. I have several Meraki WAPs in my house to cover multiple floors. What appears to be happening is that the Poly will randomly switch from one WAP to another, even though it is switching from a stronger signal to a weaker one and I am not moving the Poly. When the Poly does this switch between WAPs, Roon will lose connectivity with Poly. The problem appears to be unique to Poly, as I run a number of other wireless streamers like the Auralic which sit in the same room where I am testing the Poly and will stream Roon reliably all day long.

Nov 19, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #3,644 of 18,741

Yes as @jarnopp has posted. To meet worldwide legislation Poly is restricted to the first 11 WiFi channels.
This is the same for many other wireless products which is probably why channels 12 & 13 have the least noise in your building........

Nov 19, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #3,645 of 18,741
I was out and about and powered mojo on. Mojo came up with a blue light and nothing from poly (for minutes)

I decided that poly didnt charge and must be stone dead.

Got home, plugged in for 5 minutes and just for giggles powered on. Both came up with blue lights.

Something strange...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back