Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Nov 16, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #3,541 of 18,755
Yes you can play from a NAS into Poly but you do need to have it on the same network. Most NAS devices will be wired onto the network and this is ok providing your WiFi router is also connected to the same wired network.

Hmm ok, and here I lived under the impression from the get-go, that with Poly, you could connect to your NAS at home when on another Wi-Fi network. To me this was one of the biggest selling points. I must have misunderstood that completely then.

Or maybe I misunderstand your explanation. I read your answer like "no, you cannot connect Poly to your NAS, if you are on another Wi-Fi network".

Edit: I realise now I might have asked in the wrong way. "Another Wi-Fi network" to me meant through the Internet, when being in a completely different place than your home. Didn't realise people can have several Wi-Fi networks at home.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #3,542 of 18,755
Ok two things to check first.
1. Are you close to another stronger WiFi network or is this whilst you are outside 'on the go'?
2. Do you have good cellular coverage? Tidal will need a good 3G/4G signal to stream especially if you are using HiFi quality.

thanks for responding so quickly...
1. I am in my office where my phone normally connects to the office unsecure WiFi network, but Poly cannot connect to it as it has no password hence I want to use my hotspot to stream Tidal via 4G. I have told my phone to forget this network, although there are a few other networks my has not ever been connected to them. Even when telling the phone to ignore all the networks it still won't play or it will play and I get no sound. Again tried this with music app and stored files and Tidal streaming with no luck.
2. Yes I have a strong 4G signal and I can stream Tidal via my phone without any issues.

Any thoughts would be helpful, as I said I cannot use the office network for this as it's unsecured.

Nov 16, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #3,543 of 18,755
Hmm ok, and here I lived under the impression from the get-go, that with Poly, you could connect to your NAS at home when on another Wi-Fi network. To me this was one of the biggest selling points. I must have misunderstood that completely then.

Or maybe I misunderstand your explanation. I read your answer like "no, you cannot connect Poly to your NAS, if you are on another Wi-Fi network".

Edit: I realise now I might have asked in the wrong way. "Another Wi-Fi network" to me meant through the Internet, when being in a completely different place than your home. Didn't realise people can have several Wi-Fi networks at home.

You can connect to your home-network wifi while out and about. If you have a good NAS, like a QNAP, then simply use QNAps Cloudservice to connect to your home nas. This might not work for very highres files and quality and stability depends on your Connection. With other NAS units this might work as well but you have to open ports to your home network. All in all a bit technical.

But after all, why want you connect to your nas when you have the micro-sd Slot in your poly where you can transport your library with you wherever you go and didnt need to suffer from network problems and connection failures and degraded sound quality. Starting with a 128GB Card at around 50 bucks up to a whooping 400GB for 250 bucks you can take a lot of music with you.

Nov 16, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #3,544 of 18,755

Ah yes ok now I understand. Yes there are possibilities to connect to a NAS drive however as @polymaniac has suggested it is not always that easy and putting music on the micro SD card in Poly is the easiest.
The trouble with playing music remotely from a NAS drive is that you rely completely on the internet connection speed.

So yes you can do it and there are apps that come with NAS drives to allow you to connect to them remotely so you can either play the music via Airplay or you can put the details into apps like 8Player or BubbleUPnP.
I hope that helps.

Nov 16, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #3,545 of 18,755
Sorry guys, hate to sound like a broken record, but I havent gotten any responses. Has anyone had any success with spotify connect? Whether I am using my phones hotspot or connected to my home wifi, spotify does not see the poly as a device to play to. The manual says this should work, but I just dont see it. Bluetooth works to stream all audio from my phone, but I know that bluetooth is only recommended as a last resort due to further degradation (re-encoding) of the audio.

Has there also been any news on the rebuilding of the library during power on? Mine seems to rebuild each time, meaning a rather long wait before I can access everything on the sd card. I know another user faced the same and I think there was supposed to be an update to the firmware, but even so I dont even see a spot to check for firmware updates as per the manual.

Been playing with a few different android apps, but just wanted to see if there are any other recommendations besides the usual (bubbleupnp, neutron, etc)

Nov 16, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #3,546 of 18,755
thanks for responding so quickly...
1. I am in my office where my phone normally connects to the office unsecure WiFi network, but Poly cannot connect to it as it has no password hence I want to use my hotspot to stream Tidal via 4G. I have told my phone to forget this network, although there are a few other networks my has not ever been connected to them. Even when telling the phone to ignore all the networks it still won't play or it will play and I get no sound. Again tried this with music app and stored files and Tidal streaming with no luck.
2. Yes I have a strong 4G signal and I can stream Tidal via my phone without any issues.

Any thoughts would be helpful, as I said I cannot use the office network for this as it's unsecured.

Ok can you email info@chordelectronics.co.uk and we will run through some other tests.

Nov 16, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #3,547 of 18,755
Sorry guys, hate to sound like a broken record, but I havent gotten any responses. Has anyone had any success with spotify connect? Whether I am using my phones hotspot or connected to my home wifi, spotify does not see the poly as a device to play to. The manual says this should work, but I just dont see it. Bluetooth works to stream all audio from my phone, but I know that bluetooth is only recommended as a last resort due to further degradation (re-encoding) of the audio.

Has there also been any news on the rebuilding of the library during power on? Mine seems to rebuild each time, meaning a rather long wait before I can access everything on the sd card. I know another user faced the same and I think there was supposed to be an update to the firmware, but even so I dont even see a spot to check for firmware updates as per the manual.

Been playing with a few different android apps, but just wanted to see if there are any other recommendations besides the usual (bubbleupnp, neutron, etc)

It think you can only get Spotify through AirPlay or Bluetooth, just like any other apps. I like Google's approach to this https://store.google.com/product/chromecast_audio_apps where Chromecast Audio supports multiple apps for streaming with WiFi, bummer Chromecast Audio doesn't have support for Groove so no streaming there (I've tried it). There's always suggestion to Chord to get an official casting support to various apps like Chromecast Audio, or they could just stick with Airplay or Bluetooth and focus on local file streaming and Roon improvements.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #3,548 of 18,755
It think you can only get Spotify through AirPlay or Bluetooth, just like any other apps. I like Google's approach to this https://store.google.com/product/chromecast_audio_apps where Chromecast Audio supports multiple apps for streaming with WiFi, bummer Chromecast Audio doesn't have support for Groove so no streaming there (I've tried it). There's always suggestion to Chord to get an official casting support to various apps like Chromecast Audio, or they could just stick with Airplay or Bluetooth and focus on local file streaming and Roon improvements.

Well, that would be a shame, though it does work fine through bluetooth, but again, it seems like thats not the preferred connection method here and should only be used as a backup.

However, according to the manual:
Poly has full Tidal and Spotify integration meaning
that when Poly is connected to your local network,
or Smartphone’s network, Poly will be seen as an
audio output and it will be selectable.

Which makes it seem very much like I should be able to output directly from spotify to the poly via hotspot or wifi. The only caveat is that it says you have to be in "other" mode, not roon. And I do have mine set to "other".

Chromecast support or at least being seen as a player should also be added, and I feel likeit may have been mentioned in the past that it was going to (though dont quote me on that, i might be remembering incorrectly). I also feel there was some mention of being able to use any player we wanted, including plex. I run a plex server and am quite familiar with the plex app (at least on android) and at present there is no way I can think of to possibly output music from plex to an external player except via casting, of which the poly does not appear in the list of devices. So, I am wondering about that too. Did I remember incorrectly about some of these features or am I interpreting things wrong? Are there features that just havent been released yet and we need to wait for a firmware update?

Nov 16, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #3,549 of 18,755
By the way, @Mojo ideas my poly came today and I had to connect it by sliding it in at an angle. The micro usb pins on both seem to be at an angle where I had to join the optical side last. Pushing directly parallel would cause the plug to hit the shielding on the mojo micro usb ports

Nov 16, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #3,550 of 18,755
I am using my Poly to play via the SD card. The wifi settings on Poly are connected to my iPhone. On my iPhone I use 8 Player to control the SD card playback on Poly.

Everything is working fine, except I am getting a fair bit of noise in the background. The battery on the Poly is pretty low, but I'm not sure this would be causing noise. Anyone else have this issue/know how to fix it? Thanks!

Nov 16, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #3,551 of 18,755
By the way, @Mojo ideas my poly came today and I had to connect it by sliding it in at an angle. The micro usb pins on both seem to be at an angle where I had to join the optical side last. Pushing directly parallel would cause the plug to hit the shielding on the mojo micro usb ports
That would seem to be very unlikely due to the tight sub millimetre tolerances of the printed circuit board’s mounting points for the usb connectors. I guess that you may not have realised that the optical locating boss is a couple of millimetres shorter than the mini jack locating boss. Therefore this means that the optical should connect last when you are connecting the too units correctly.

Nov 16, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #3,552 of 18,755
Dear Matt and John (@Matt Bartlett @Mojo ideas)

No one answered my question about Chromecast Audio support. I do appreciate the fact that you guys are tirelessly working hard to get people on board with their respective Polys. And there was a question raised on Android app which hasn't been answered either if I am not mistaken. Please give us an update on this.

Regards
Ven

Nov 16, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #3,553 of 18,755
That would seem to be very unlikely due to the tight sub millimetre tolerances of the printed circuit board’s mounting points for the usb connectors. I guess that you may not have realised that the optical locating boss is a couple of millimetres shorter than the mini jack locating boss. Therefore this means that the optical should connect last when you are connecting the too units correctly.

Wow, it's never a Chord issue is it? I can tell you then when lining them up perfectly, they don't mate. At all, even vaguely. You can see that the metal from the plug hits cleanly on the shielding of the receptacles.

IMG_7968.JPG

The Poly AND Mojo connectors are at an angle, clearly seen here where the bottom two connector pins clearly diverge:

IMG_1294.JPG

And here:
IMG_2324.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9821.JPG
    IMG_9821.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #3,554 of 18,755
I am having a pretty annoying issue. Using DLNA with 8player, I was only able to get Poly streaming, which resulted in a 96khz signal.

Upon following the same steps again I only get a red light on Mojo. I tried around 20 times with only two resulting in the desired signal.

During the two times when I got where I wanted, music was breaking up every few seconds with long pauses when switching tracks.

I have been following guidance provided by Mitch but no joy.

Nov 16, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #3,555 of 18,755
So I have been fiddling with my Poly and I have to say it needs a lot of work. Its snug inside it's Chord official case, which is beautiful.

The likelihood of an average user getting Poly running is pretty low.

It seems to work only on iOS hotspot and not while connected to my network of 5 access points, and while sitting 10 feet from the closest one.
This included a reboot of both iOS and Poly. It comes up with the solid status light, but is not visible in DLNA next to the 5 Sonos players, which show up as servers and renderers and work fine.
I can see it if I statically connect to the IP using MPDelux.

In hotspot mode it [edit] sometimes[/edit] works fine, as advertised.

This said, I can't leave my phone off of my wifi while I use MojoPoly, so this needs to be fixed.

Let me know how I can help.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back