Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Nov 22, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #18,256 of 18,886
New Poly owner here. Are there any tips and tricks or best settings recommendations in this thread you can point me to?
Things have gotten way easier with the latest GoFigure and firmware updates. I'd recommend downloading GoFigure and then using it to check which firmware your Poly is running, then update to the latest if it isn't already installed.

Previously with Poly you had to use GoFigure to select which input you wanted or how you wanted Poly to run - i.e. via Roon or some other streaming or WiFi playback software. Now it's much easier as you can switch between WiFi playback (Roon or any other) and also playback via microSD card without having to change anything in GoFigure. That's made life way easier to many of the previous issues have now been addressed.

You'll still need GoFigure for setting up the WiFi networks or switching Poly to using its own hotspot. One tip is that Poly operates on 2.4 GHz Wifi only, so make sure your WiFi set up at home is running on 2.4 rather 5.

For microSD card playback my favorite software so far is "MaximumMPD" as it's free. It's pretty bare-bones but it's reliable and works well. Most of the time I just use Poly with playback from Audirvana while at home, then microSD (with Poly's hotspot) when moving away from my computer or out of home.

I think even with phones things have got better too - previously on the iPhone, for example, you had to set up what people were calling 'hybrid mode' where the phone would connect to Poly's hotspot to control playback, but you had to configure it in the iPhone to tell the phone not to use Poly's hotspot to look for data on the internet. But now iPhones seem to be able to handle these non-internet connected WiFi networks without any special configuration in my experience.

Nov 23, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #18,257 of 18,886
Things have gotten way easier with the latest GoFigure and firmware updates. I'd recommend downloading GoFigure and then using it to check which firmware your Poly is running, then update to the latest if it isn't already installed.

Previously with Poly you had to use GoFigure to select which input you wanted or how you wanted Poly to run - i.e. via Roon or some other streaming or WiFi playback software. Now it's much easier as you can switch between WiFi playback (Roon or any other) and also playback via microSD card without having to change anything in GoFigure. That's made life way easier to many of the previous issues have now been addressed.

You'll still need GoFigure for setting up the WiFi networks or switching Poly to using its own hotspot. One tip is that Poly operates on 2.4 GHz Wifi only, so make sure your WiFi set up at home is running on 2.4 rather 5.

For microSD card playback my favorite software so far is "MaximumMPD" as it's free. It's pretty bare-bones but it's reliable and works well. Most of the time I just use Poly with playback from Audirvana while at home, then microSD (with Poly's hotspot) when moving away from my computer or out of home.

I think even with phones things have got better too - previously on the iPhone, for example, you had to set up what people were calling 'hybrid mode' where the phone would connect to Poly's hotspot to control playback, but you had to configure it in the iPhone to tell the phone not to use Poly's hotspot to look for data on the internet. But now iPhones seem to be able to handle these non-internet connected WiFi networks without any special configuration in my experience.
I have an Amazon Eero network that uses a combined 2.4/5ghz network and devices join whichever. My phone usually joins on 5ghz. You can force it to broadcast in 2.4 only for 10 minutes. Will I need to do that every time I want to use it from Roon Remote on my phone or only when I need to tweak something in Go Figure?

Nov 23, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #18,258 of 18,886
I have an Amazon Eero network that uses a combined 2.4/5ghz network and devices join whichever. My phone usually joins on 5ghz. You can force it to broadcast in 2.4 only for 10 minutes. Will I need to do that every time I want to use it from Roon Remote on my phone or only when I need to tweak something in Go Figure?
I think as long as Poly can join on 2.4 it should work. Just have to try it and see!

Nov 24, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #18,259 of 18,886
I have an SD card in my Poly with some hi res FLAC files. When I play them using Mconnect Lite, they are being resampled to 24/48. I also tried on an iPhone using Rigelian and got the same result. If there a way to play them bitperfect on Poly?

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #18,260 of 18,886
I have an SD card in my Poly with some hi res FLAC files. When I play them using Mconnect Lite, they are being resampled to 24/48. I also tried on an iPhone using Rigelian and got the same result. If there a way to play them bitperfect on Poly?
I haven't used Mconnect, but that's not right. Do you have Chords Gofigure app?
There is a setting in Gofigure to select bitperfect

Nov 27, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #18,264 of 18,886
Hey all, I'm thinking of getting the Mojo2/Poly set, but I want to have a few things clarified:

-is it possible to have the mojo buttons used to play/pause the µSD card tracks
-is it possible to use a bluetooth remote instead of a phone
-will music playback continue even if there is no phone connection, when playing from µSD (like MPD normally functions)
-can files be added to the µSD via an ssh or other wireless connection, via USB, or only by plugging the µSD card in my computer
-can the mojo/poly function as a USB DAC with the Poly attached

and bonus:

-is the firmware open source/is there 3rd party or custom firmware

thanks,
-CH23

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #18,265 of 18,886
Hey all, I'm thinking of getting the Mojo2/Poly set, but I want to have a few things clarified:

-will music playback continue even if there is no phone connection, when playing from µSD (like MPD normally functions)
-can files be added to the µSD via an ssh or other wireless connection, via USB, or only by plugging the µSD card in my computer

and bonus:

thanks,
-CH23
Hey CH23, answers below:
No

No

Yes

Not that I know of

No, you have to detach Poly in order to get to Mojo's USB input. I wish that were an option as I still like to use Mojo as a USB DAC on my computer too.

Nope.

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #18,266 of 18,886
Hey CH23, answers below:
No

No

Yes

Not that I know of

No, you have to detach Poly in order to get to Mojo's USB input. I wish that were an option as I still like to use Mojo as a USB DAC on my computer too.

Nope.
that's a lot of no's for a €500+€500 product...the only truly disappointing one is not having USB throughput with poly connected. I'll definitely have a look to see if it can be done.

thanks for the answers!

Nov 28, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #18,267 of 18,886
that's a lot of no's for a €500+€500 product...the only truly disappointing one is not having USB throughput with poly connected. I'll definitely have a look to see if it can be done.

thanks for the answers!
Your use cases are incredibly specific. Mojo was developed more for the mobile market, so bluetooth remotes wouldn't fit that bill.
can files be added to the µSD via an ssh or other wireless connection? - I would have liked to have seen that. As we have seen a few firmware updates, and because that isn't available on Chords 2Go, I think it's unlikely to happen.
As for the USB input with Poly connected. It isn't physically possible. Poly is the same width as Mojo(1&2) and it's interface is via the 2 x Micro USB connections. One for power pass through, the other to share the data. The Micro USB on the Poly simply provides power for Poly, or Poly and connected Mojo.

For the sound quality though, I can't rate the combination highly enough

Nov 28, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #18,268 of 18,886

thanks for the answers!
@CH23 adding to a long list of "NOs" you've already heard let me add few more of mine:

- Poly always drain batteries,
- When Poly is charged from the very first time you can not turn it off (look at previous point to get the full picture)
- If you have a modern Wifi network around you be prepared to downgrade a lot including describing you security settings in order to make it work
- GoFigure does let you play from SD card in very limited way, you need save a playlist files first.

You are right, it is quite expensive, poorly designed product that can quickly become brick unless you will bend and limit yourself to few very specific use cases. I wish it was other way around, but unfortunately it is not :frowning2:

To be honest and fair however, when you can make it work you will not regret it in terms of SQ. Another thing is that I got the same quality from a notebook. Mojo is also great via optical BTW but this option is also not possible when Poly is connected.

Nov 28, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #18,269 of 18,886
>Your use cases are incredibly specific.
I hear that more often, lol.
>Mojo was developed more for the mobile market, so bluetooth remotes wouldn't fit that bill.
fair enough
>>can files be added to the µSD via an ssh or other wireless connection?
>I would have liked to have seen that. As we have seen a few firmware updates, and because that isn't available on Chords 2Go, I think it's unlikely to happen.
I'll see if there's a way.
>As for the USB input with Poly connected. It isn't physically possible. Poly is the same width as Mojo(1&2) and it's interface is via the 2 x Micro USB connections. One for power pass through, the other to share the data. The Micro USB on the Poly simply provides power for Poly, or Poly and connected Mojo.
I would assume that there's enough space inside of the poly to add a small 'splitter' so the datalines can be hijacked if a micro USB device is connected to the Poly. I'll look into this as well.
>For the sound quality though, I can't rate the combination highly enough
I have replaced my ifi idsd diablo with this set today. right now it's charging. seemingly the first poly I picked up did not have any wifi capabilities. tried resetting, tried charging, updating, some more resetting. nada. weirdly enough bluetooth did work.

@CH23 adding to a long list of "NOs" you've already heard let me add few more of mine:
>Poly always drain batteries,
not fantastic, but probably not a problem either.
>When Poly is charged from the very first time you can not turn it off (look at previous point to get the full picture)
idem
>If you have a modern Wifi network around you be prepared to downgrade a lot including describing you security settings in order to make it work.
Seems to connect to my WPA3 AP. at least the one on my phone. not sure how often i'll connect it to my home wifi.
>GoFigure does let you play from SD card in very limited way, you need save a playlist files first.
I use MPD, so that's fine.
>You are right, it is quite expensive, poorly designed product that can quickly become brick unless you will bend and limit yourself to few very specific use cases. I wish it was other way around, but unfortunately it is not
I hope it will eventually be opensourced. Most devices I own that have been, enjoy a greater fanbase than those that have not been.
>To be honest and fair however, when you can make it work you will not regret it in terms of SQ. Another thing is that I got the same quality from a notebook. Mojo is also great via optical BTW but this option is also not possible when Poly is connected.
not possible yet. I'll have a look to see if it's simply a dimensional limitation, software, or hardware.

Despite the app dependency(and the app is not that great), I expect to have a lot of enjoyment out of this device. thanks for the tips!
-CH23

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #18,270 of 18,886
Despite the app dependency(and the app is not that great), I expect to have a lot of enjoyment out of this device. thanks for the tips!
-CH23
@CH23 I keep my fingers crossed for your enjoyment :) Do not expect however Poly firmware to be open source: Poly is a product of at least 2 companies so it is probably a copyright nightmare to begin with. Secondly I believe there were some hardware design flaws made from very beginning so not everything can be fixed by firmware updates. I do not think there would also be a developer team that would be will to pickup the (probably messy) code base and speed up development despite the fact that Chord release cycles are very long.

Let us know how Poly worked for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back