Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jul 18, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #17,206 of 18,784
Two questions to the Poly user crowd:

* When connecting to the mobile phone hotspot I hear a crackling sound in the background, even when keeping several meters distance between MojoPoly and the used iPhone. Tried with 2 different phones, hear it with both. The crackling is there also when no music is playing. Without any activity it's just a faint, barely audible and rare noise, but when I use Mconnect to access the SD card there's a rustle while the list is loading. This happened even when I didn't choose the MojoPoly as output in Mconnet.
Long story short - it's always there and it's a nuisance. Can this be fixed? No such issues in the home Wifi network.

* Qobuz vs Tidal: Any opinions about SQ differences?
I mean same tracks, same sampling rate and 16/44 quality, so supposedly identical data.
I sometimes feel like there are differences but I am not sure.
Irrespective of any debate about Qobuz v Tidal (especially regarding MQA), the statement 'I mean same tracks, same sampling rate and 16/44 quality, so supposedly identical data.' is not necessarily true.

For example, take any CD track as your baseline. (track 1)
Next copy it, and then reduce the volume by half, and resave at 16/44. (track 2)

Both tracks are 'same sampling rate and 16/44 quality' but the data will be different on each track.

Jul 19, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #17,207 of 18,784
I've decided I need to replace my Orbi router/satellite. Any one using a mesh system with their Poly that doesn't drop off when you move between access points?? thx

Jul 20, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #17,209 of 18,784
I've decided I need to replace my Orbi router/satellite. Any one using a mesh system with their Poly that doesn't drop off when you move between access points?? thx

I specially bought the TP-Link Deco DX-90 because I was experiencing dropouts of the signal with poly inside my house, even at 1 meter from the router.
Since I bought it (3 months) no more problem. I have no personal experience with other mesh systems but I’m happy with this one.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #17,211 of 18,784
When you connect the poly to your phone using the hotspot mode, the connection between you phone and the poly is in wifi. So if you just launch songs located on the sd card, no cellular data will be consumed. But the apps you use for this on your phone may connect to internet to grab informations regarding artists / albums / songs you browse and play in order to display them on screen, depending on the settings of the app. That’s where it can consume data.
Chord products don’t decode MQA, if you use Qobuz you could play up to 192 kHz songs and it will be seen as such by the mojo and yes the sound quality may be really different depending on the recording and … you ears :beyersmile:
Thanks. Decided to use the voucher of Qobuz in Chord Poly to compare both. I really want Tidal to be better as my subscription is running until the end of the year and because I am not paying any data when I use it (part of the telco plan). But I have made some comparison and they were rarely in favour of Tidal IMHO. Qobuz has this natural tonality that is really appealing to me. And I am not even talking about the 192khz files or > 2000Kbps files I could not try as the WIFI bandwidth where I spent my holidays is too weak 😀.
The only limitation I saw was there were few tracks I could not find there, mostly Asian, Korean OST I could not find.
Anyway still have 3 months to take a decision. But there things I can definitely not UN-HEAR!

Jul 20, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #17,212 of 18,784
Thanks. Decided to use the voucher of Qobuz in Chord Poly to compare both. I really want Tidal to be better as my subscription is running until the end of the year and because I am not paying any data when I use it (part of the telco plan). But I have made some comparison and they were rarely in favour of Tidal IMHO. Qobuz has this natural tonality that is really appealing to me. And I am not even talking about the 192khz files or > 2000Kbps files I could not try as the WIFI bandwidth where I spent my holidays is too weak 😀.
The only limitation I saw was there were few tracks I could not find there, mostly Asian, Korean OST I could not find.
Anyway still have 3 months to take a decision. But there things I can definitely not UN-HEAR!
I too have recently come to this realization. Been a long time Tidal user. Tried Qobuz in the past and got so annoyed at its limited (and at the time, buggy) UI. I tried it again recently and while it's still feature-limited compared to Tidal (like no radio function, c'mon), it does definitively sound better to me, even the CD quality tracks. What gets me is when I find holes in their catalog. But then I really value that you can get 24/192 files without that MQA non-sense, which Tidal has gone all in on. Right now I have both, but leaning on just keeping Qobuz and dealing with the missing tracks.

Jul 25, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #17,213 of 18,784
Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #17,214 of 18,784
Recently purchased the Miter Mojo 2/Poly case and so far the experience has been good. Seems to be well made. Good access to all controls.

Available at Audio46:

https://audio46.com/products/miter-...chord-mojo-2-poly?_pos=3&_sid=a314a6725&_ss=r

Also available on Amazon in four different colors. I chose black. $100 cheaper that the Chord branded Mojo 2/Poly case.
I agree with the single exception that the charging status lights on the rear of the Poly are covered up by the case. Perhaps my problem is a one-off issue. Mine is the black, Chord-made case.

Sandy

Jul 25, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #17,215 of 18,784
I agree with the single exception that the charging status lights on the rear of the Poly are covered up by the case. Perhaps my problem is a one-off issue. Mine is the black, Chord-made case.

Sandy
I didn’t notice that. I’ll take another look. Just checked. I can see the charging status lights just fine. Maybe they updated their case recently? I bought mine from Amazon. Your Chord branded case is nice. I had one for my Mojo 1/Poly.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #17,216 of 18,784
Like many of you, I’ve dealt with a LOT of networking issues with both the 2Go and the Poly. I thought it had be due the Chord units because I’ve been using a top-rated WiFi mesh network: Orbi RBR850. Every other WiFi device seemed to work just fine. It had to be the Chord units.

After sending in my 2Go to The Sound Organisation, they said it checked out fine. I exchanged a number of emails with Rick. He suggested I try the 2Go on a different network. I was extremely doubtful, to say the least.

Lo and behold, the 2Go performed flawlessly using a different network. @Planemaker said his Poly worked great with his Asus XT8. It also had great reviews, generally ranking just below the Orbi system.

I installed the XT8 earlier this week. The difference has been astounding!!! The 2Go connects first time, every time. Poly no longer drops connection when I move between nodes. I’ve only been able to make the 2Go drop once, then it just moved on to the next song. Previously, I had to shut down the 2Go until the lights went out and restart it, hoping it would reconnect. PITA

In a perfect world, 2Go/Poly would work fine with every model router out there. That said, it’s a nigh impossible even for a much larger organization.

If you’ve been having networking issues, I highly suggestion you try going to a friend’s house who uses a different brand router. If you’re getting a new router, the XT8 is a champ in my book!!

Jul 28, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #17,217 of 18,784
Prob a daft question but were you using the 2.4GHz band?

Jul 29, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #17,218 of 18,784
Prob a daft question but were you using the 2.4GHz band?
You don’t have the choice with poly to use another band than the 2.4Ghz. That’s mainly the reason some routers or mesh systems fail with poly, they seem to have a bad 2.4Ghz wifi. That was the case with mine, and now with my Deco DX-90 no more problems. I saw lots of YouTube comparatives and users feedbacks (Amazon and others), especially those talking about the 2.4Ghz band, to make the choice to go with the Deco, and I’m glad I did. I was first very interested in getting the XT8 which is very appealing but some reviews of real users like this : here and others dampened me from buying it. In the other hand good reviews from people switching from Orbi to DX-90 saying that it solved their problems, particularly dropouts ones, helped me to make my choice.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #17,219 of 18,784
You don’t have the choice with poly to use another band than the 2.4Ghz. That’s mainly the reason some routers or mesh systems fail with poly, they seem to have a bad 2.4Ghz wifi. That was the case with mine, and now with my Deco DX-90 no more problems. I saw lots of YouTube comparatives and users feedbacks (Amazon and others), especially those talking about the 2.4Ghz band, to make the choice to go with the Deco, and I’m glad I did. I was first very interested in getting the XT8 which is very appealing but some reviews of real users like this : here and others dampened me from buying it. In the other hand good reviews from people switching from Orbi to DX-90 saying that it solved their problems, particularly dropouts ones, helped me to make my choice.
I don't think the issue is tied to the poly only supporting 2.4ghz. In my experience, the issue with mesh routers are additional protocols which handle the handoff/roaming as you move locations (and thus access points) within the mesh. I'd agree the Decos are good in this area as my Deco model (and I assume others) allows you to disable advanced mesh support/roaming per connected device. I connected my Poly, excluded its MAC address from the extra mesh handling features and no issues.

Jul 29, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #17,220 of 18,784
I don't think the issue is tied to the poly only supporting 2.4ghz. In my experience, the issue with mesh routers are additional protocols which handle the handoff/roaming as you move locations (and thus access points) within the mesh. I'd agree the Decos are good in this area as my Deco model (and I assume others) allows you to disable advanced mesh support/roaming per connected device. I connected my Poly, excluded its MAC address from the extra mesh handling features and no issues.
Initially I didn’t have a mesh system but only a single router with clearly a poorly implemented 2.4 GHz wifi, with incessant dropouts while playing even at 1 meter from the router and also devices disconnection and unable to find it again unless a total reboot ... But yes as you say there’s also the roaming service in mesh systems which could add some more issues, but I don’t have problems with the DX-90 when moving around between rooms / garden and switching between mesh points.
Btw Ardbeg rocks :sunglasses:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back