Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
May 27, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #16,186 of 19,047
Why does a smartphone not sound as good as the poly?

Genuinely interested if there is a reason. They both use usb to deliver a digital signal to the mojo is my understanding.
Maybe all dacs are susceptible to electrical noise, when you play poly In airplane mode, there is only a little Bluetooth noise around, no wifi or mobile signal, this then maybe allows the dac to be more unhindered.
maybe it’s placebo, but it sounds better then a phone, an all in 1 unit, it’s perfect in terms of a combining with mojo.

May 28, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #16,187 of 19,047
there is no difference between digital sources
the difference is only in price
Spoken with certainty. Totally ignorant of every possible variable that contributes to audio playback, not lease different operating systems and major playback protocols such as wasapi, kernel, Alsa.
these protocols have different code bases and are implemented differently and work different. They are different. Look more closer and see your statement is nonsensical.

May 28, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #16,188 of 19,047
it makes no sense to argue that different equipment will give different sound on digital outputs
once again, all digital outputs are standardized and the same, regardless of what works there on the device
wasapi, kernel, Alsa have nothing to do with digital sound and its output via usb, it's just soft on the host device.
Take a closer look at this answer and you will understand that your statement is meaningless.
You’ve said their standardized, and that’s it, case closed, there’s no difference.

May 28, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #16,189 of 19,047
Let’s say that’s true, in theory. Would you agree that there could be a difference based on the connection type? If you are using for example, USB which has an electrical connection between the source and the DAC, that noise could travel to the DAC and end up influencing the sound, as compared to an optical connection that has electrical isolation?

May 28, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #16,190 of 19,047
Come back after you have owned and used non low end Dell laptops and non junk dacs.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #16,191 of 19,047
it makes no sense to argue that different equipment will give different sound on digital outputs
once again, all digital outputs are standardized and the same, regardless of what works there on the device
wasapi, kernel, Alsa have nothing to do with digital sound and its output via usb, it's just soft on the host device.
Take a closer look at this answer and you will understand that your statement is meaningless.

Well, if you honestly can't tell a difference between different digital sources. That is great. You will save lots of money.

However, sound quality differences between Digital sources (USB vs. coax vs. AES) are pretty well documented and accepted. Otherwise, there is no reason for Rob Watts to do anything different than put an off the shelf DAC into a nice pretty metal box and call it a day.

Don't bother quoting double blind testing, measurements, or whatever sound science rationalization you use.

For a MOT, your statement is pretty bold.

May 29, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #16,192 of 19,047
I don't think anyone is talking about comparing usb optical or coax.

I was asking about the difference between a smartphone usb connection to the mojo versus the poly usb connection to the mojo.

I was asking if there is really any difference apart from anecdotal opinions.

I also own the mojo poly so I am not buying or selling anything here. I enjoy my set up with roon but there are plenty of flaws with the poly acting as a digital transport compared to smartphone implementation such as battery life and WiFi reception. Smartphones are better in this respect at least in my experience with my set up.

I just don't think 'well the poly sounds better' can be used as an argument for the poly when the poly has no sound of its own.

May 29, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #16,193 of 19,047
Well, if you honestly can't tell a difference between different digital sources. That is great. You will save lots of money.

However, sound quality differences between Digital sources (USB vs. coax vs. AES) are pretty well documented and accepted. Otherwise, there is no reason for Rob Watts to do anything different than put an off the shelf DAC into a nice pretty metal box and call it a day.

Don't bother quoting double blind testing, measurements, or whatever sound science rationalization you use.

For a MOT, your statement is pretty bold.
Just another mot with his own agenda

May 29, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #16,194 of 19,047
I don't think anyone is talking about comparing usb optical or coax.

I was asking about the difference between a smartphone usb connection to the mojo versus the poly usb connection to the mojo.

I was asking if there is really any difference apart from anecdotal opinions.

I also own the mojo poly so I am not buying or selling anything here. I enjoy my set up with roon but there are plenty of flaws with the poly acting as a digital transport compared to smartphone implementation such as battery life and WiFi reception. Smartphones are better in this respect at least in my experience with my set up.

I just don't think 'well the poly sounds better' can be used as an argument for the poly when the poly has no sound of its own.
But if you own poly and a smartphone surely you can just listen and decide for yourself (which you have) seems rhetorical perhaps.
But even if it is placebo, as long as it “works” and you enjoy the experience...

May 29, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #16,196 of 19,047
But if you own poly and a smartphone surely you can just listen and decide for yourself (which you have) seems rhetorical perhaps.
But even if it is placebo, as long as it “works” and you enjoy the experience...
Your right I can just decide for myself and I already have but when someone makes a statement as fact that the poly sounds better than another digital source I just want to know why incase I am missing something out of my own lack of knowledge.

I do also agree that if placebo makes you think it sounds better then why does it even matter. But we should be very honest in stating this and not suggesting people spend their money on something that sounds better when in reality it doesn't.

May 29, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #16,197 of 19,047
Your right I can just decide for myself and I already have but when someone makes a statement as fact that the poly sounds better than another digital source I just want to know why incase I am missing something out of my own lack of knowledge.

I do also agree that if placebo makes you think it sounds better then why does it even matter. But we should be very honest in stating this and not suggesting people spend their money on something that sounds better when in reality it doesn't.
Im not really sure what your main message is, that poly isn’t sounding good to you as a digital source and it’s basically the same as your phone ?

May 29, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #16,199 of 19,047
My main message is the poly does not make a sound so how can it sound better than a smartphone?
I suppose there’s a theory that the analogue section of the dac that makes the signal in the headphone cable, is sensitive to electronic interference from things close to it.
then each component in the chain can have some impact in some way, so when you have a different chain, you can have a different listening experience.

May 29, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #16,200 of 19,047
My main message is the poly does not make a sound so how can it sound better than a smartphone?
Whoa everyone, take a step back, and maybe sip a wee dram. :relaxed:
Those of us (maybe includes @ZappaMan) who have followed the Mojo thread since 2016, and have been part of the Mojo journey for 5 years.
  • The initial use of smartphones as the source for Mojo worked quite well, but was not perfect for everyone.
  • Adding a simple ferrite choke ( some owners needed more, but I just needed one ferrite) to the usb cable, eliminated the brightness caused by RFI captured by the USB cable.
  • Poly does not have a cable connection to the Mojo, so in theory the Poly output is the Mojo input. No RFI is involved.
  • So Poly does not have a sound signature, but that does not mean that other usb sources to Mojo do have a sound signature (usually a negative impact)
YMMV but I am reading a lot of posts recently that imply 'bits is bits' and there is no need to consider RFI or other electircal noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back