Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
May 29, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #16,201 of 19,047
  • Adding a simple ferrite choke ( some owners needed more, but I just needed one ferrite) to the usb cable, eliminated the brightness caused by RFI captured by the USB cable.
I don't want to be that guy but are you saying that using a usb cable without a ferrite choke is adding audible high frequency content to audio?

I am not completely a measurements guy but there must be some graphs somewhere showing this?

May 29, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #16,202 of 19,047
I don't want to be that guy but are you saying that using a usb cable without a ferrite choke is adding audible high frequency content to audio?

I am not completely a measurements guy but there must be some graphs somewhere showing this?
Sure, get your measuring tape out, go to France and observe mike before and after adding a ferrite and measure his perceived change in brightness.

May 29, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #16,203 of 19,047
% of I don't want to be that guy but are you saying that using a usb cable without a ferrite choke is adding audible high frequency content to audio?

When using a Samsung phone as the usb input to the Mojo, I used to suffer from intermittent glitches when listening to music.
Adding just one ferrite choke to the usb cable removed 99% of those glitches.

OK no measurements, but cables act as aerials and naturally pick up RFI.
It is quite easy and cheap for Mojo owners to remove most RFI issues.
It is true that the Poly eliminates the RFI problem by using a direct connection from Poly to Mojo.

What I find difficult is the position taken by 'bits is bits' enthusiasts, who then deny that cables have any downstream impact on the ground floor modulation of DAC analog processing.

May 29, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #16,204 of 19,047
When using a Samsung phone as the usb input to the Mojo, I used to suffer from intermittent glitches when listening to music.
Adding just one ferrite choke to the usb cable removed 99% of those glitches.

OK no measurements, but cables act as aerials and naturally pick up RFI.
It is quite easy and cheap for Mojo owners to remove most RFI issues.
It is true that the Poly eliminates the RFI problem by using a direct connection from Poly to Mojo.

What I find difficult is the position taken by 'bits is bits' enthusiasts, who then deny that cables have any downstream impact on the ground floor modulation of DAC analog processing.
I totally understand the mojo picking up RFI and it is very annoying but it does not effect to top end of audio like some sort of EQ. It is audible interference being occasionally picked up when the smartphone is communicating.
And Poly does not completely fix this issue. If there is still a mobile communication taking place quite close to the mojo it will still pick the interference up.
When it comes to digital audio I am a bits are bits believer until someone can prove it to me otherwise. I am very open to that but so far I have seen no evidence that spending more money on a digital connection leads to a better sound.
Again if there are any recordings or measurements that you know about please let me know.

May 29, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #16,205 of 19,047
I totally understand the mojo picking up RFI and it is very annoying but it does not effect to top end of audio like some sort of EQ. It is audible interference being occasionally picked up when the smartphone is communicating.
And Poly does not completely fix this issue. If there is still a mobile communication taking place quite close to the mojo it will still pick the interference up.
When it comes to digital audio I am a bits are bits believer until someone can prove it to me otherwise. I am very open to that but so far I have seen no evidence that spending more money on a digital connection leads to a better sound.
Again if there are any recordings or measurements that you know about please let me know.
You can measure it with your ears if you choose different audio playback software. Different software is interesting the music file and sending its interpretation of that file differently. I can hear it, others can hear it. Install the demo of audirvana and choose kernel streaming to see if you hear a difference,

May 30, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #16,206 of 19,047
You can always read the 'Watts Up' thread, for plenty of explanation of dac design.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/post-14948269

May 30, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #16,207 of 19,047
in this case we are talking about usb no need to pull wishful thinking, pull coaxil and that's it

usb transmits sound the same
the difference in sound depends on the host devices, not on the usb transport
Okay,
There is no inherent sound to USB data. Bits is bits in this case. However, the USB chip implementation, connecting cable, source hardware, and destination hardware all contribute to signal interference and possible changes in sound quality.
The poly eliminates most of the above issues by directly connecting to Mojo. That is why we generally say the Mojo will sound better with the poly than directly connected to phone. That doesn’t mean that a phone connected to Mojo can’t sound as good as a poly.

Out of curiosity, what is the product/products you are MOT?

May 31, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #16,208 of 19,047
Whoa everyone, take a step back, and maybe sip a wee dram. :relaxed:
Those of us (maybe includes @ZappaMan) who have followed the Mojo thread since 2016, and have been part of the Mojo journey for 5 years.
  • The initial use of smartphones as the source for Mojo worked quite well, but was not perfect for everyone.
  • Adding a simple ferrite choke ( some owners needed more, but I just needed one ferrite) to the usb cable, eliminated the brightness caused by RFI captured by the USB cable.
  • Poly does not have a cable connection to the Mojo, so in theory the Poly output is the Mojo input. No RFI is involved.
  • So Poly does not have a sound signature, but that does not mean that other usb sources to Mojo do have a sound signature (usually a negative impact)
YMMV but I am reading a lot of posts recently that imply 'bits is bits' and there is no need to consider RFI or other electircal noise.
Dunno why I never thought of using ferrite cores earlier. I had some sitting in a drawer from back when I was using them with a tube amp, just tried it out on a USB cable:
C037D6B2-9D20-4994-B6D8-A016DB3490BE.jpeg
It does indeed reduce the treble glare vs USB cable alone. Most of the time I just use Mojo with Poly these days, but now I feel like a dunce for not trying this sooner!

May 31, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #16,209 of 19,047
Dunno why I never thought of using ferrite cores earlier. I had some sitting in a drawer from back when I was using them with a tube amp, just tried it out on a USB cable:
C037D6B2-9D20-4994-B6D8-A016DB3490BE.jpeg
It does indeed reduce the treble glare vs USB cable alone. Most of the time I just use Mojo with Poly these days, but now I feel like a dunce for not trying this sooner!
Hope it works out for you.
Ferrites cost pocket money to test, and are easily removable afterwards if necessary.

Jun 1, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #16,210 of 19,047
So when is the Chord Poly getting the new firmware update?

Jun 1, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #16,211 of 19,047
Okay,
There is no inherent sound to USB data. Bits is bits in this case. However, the USB chip implementation, connecting cable, source hardware, and destination hardware all contribute to signal interference and possible changes in sound quality.
The poly eliminates most of the above issues by directly connecting to Mojo. That is why we generally say the Mojo will sound better with the poly than directly connected to phone. That doesn’t mean that a phone connected to Mojo can’t sound as good as a poly.

Out of curiosity, what is the product/products you are MOT?

I believe Rob Watts mentioned that battery powered devices like phones are not an issue and thus you can use them fine. So no point using a Poly for that application if you are looking for a sound quality upgrade.

It is only with laptops and computers where the problem starts.

Jun 1, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #16,212 of 19,047
So when is the Chord Poly getting the new firmware update?

Well, in the release information for the latest version of Gofigure, Chord stated:

“ This update will align the application with 2go’s new firmware update arriving on Tuesday (18th May) and allow access to new features, such as automatic MPD playlist building. This firmware update will be closely followed by a Poly update.”

The 2GO’s firmware update was released on the 18th May, so I suppose the release/delivery of the Poly firmware update depends upon what Chord considers to be “closely followed”.

I will be keeping an eye on the “News & Events” section of the Chord website.

Jun 2, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #16,214 of 19,047
For all the bad press Poly gets as far as wifi is concerned... it always has a good connection in the backyard. My AK SP1000 is unusable without being close to the access point.

Jun 6, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #16,215 of 19,047
Hi, happy Sunday everybody!

I’ve been very tempted to get a poly lately though I fear that in my excitement I’m arriving way too late into the party and we see a new version of mojo/poly soon…

Of course, this is only speculative so, I wanted to check with the community on thoughts over if it is a good idea to hop in the poly hype train at this point. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back