Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jun 8, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #16,231 of 18,865
Listening to my first album on Apple Lossless now, I am unable to stream hi res lossless to poly, are we limited to Airplay and 48Khz/16bit?
Edit: For Hi-Res you need to go direct to the Mojo via USB + the camera connection kit, or use Qobuz/Tidal along with a 3rd party app. AirPlay sounds good but it's compressed AAC for some dumb reason.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #16,232 of 18,865
Lossless and Hi Res lossless work great connected to Mojo via USB. My initial impressions are very good, not seeing much of a need for Poly at this time. Of course I will keep my high res files and CD rips and may even compare them to Hi Res lossless at some point.

Jun 11, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #16,233 of 18,865
Listening to my first album on Apple Lossless now, I am unable to stream hi res lossless to poly, are we limited to Airplay and 48Khz/16bit?

Yeah, we are screwed with the Poly. The 2GO will face the same problem.

But it sounds good enough to be honest via Airplay, eventhough you do not get what you pay for.

I have been receiving some super nice promo’s from Tidal again, but not sure if I should accept it.

Jun 11, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #16,234 of 18,865
Anyway, hoping Apple will come with an Airplay 3 that allows hi-res audio and then Chord updates the Poly to support this.

There actually might be a workaround on how to get high-resolution audio. If you download the Apple music to your phone, and then open those downloaded songs threw a DLNA / UPnP app and then stream it to the Poly, it should work I guess?

I have not tried it, just an idea to try out as I saw that some UPnP /DLNA apps can recognize local storage.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #16,235 of 18,865
hi is there anyway I could use poly with apple music, as I really want to switch from tidal to apple music now

Jun 11, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #16,236 of 18,865
hi is there anyway I could use poly with apple music, as I really want to switch from tidal to apple music now
The only way at present is to use Airplay to the Poly, and there's still some debate about whether Apple lossless currently streams losslessly on Airplay. I

Jun 11, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #16,237 of 18,865
The only way at present is to use Airplay to the Poly, and there's still some debate about whether Apple lossless currently streams losslessly on Airplay. I
thanks alot, I am sure soon we will see many devices supporting apple music, unless I am mistaken

Jun 12, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #16,239 of 18,865
I too would love to switch from Tidal to Apple Music, not least for the fact that it’s cheaper. Trouble is Apple Music is a mess. Add a song to the library and it also shows up as an album and also adds the artist to my artist library, why Apple? I search for the Beatles and no albums are listed on the artist page, at least not on the iOS music app. Only one other music player app i can find (at present) can play the Apple Music files, not glider, not mconnect, and of course it can’t search the Apple Music library. I play an album stated as being Apple Digital Master using the camera connect kit and usb from my iPhone into my Mojo or Hugo and it shows up as ‘red’ ie not high res. Same when using a MacBook and usb-c. Yes I know tidal does the same but I always presumed this was down to the lack of support for MQA.
If you can live with all that and you download your music library to your iPhone only to discover it gets deleted if you switch your media and purchases ID to a different account.
Having said all that though, Apple lossless does sound pretty good but like in my school reports it could do so much better.

Jun 13, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #16,240 of 18,865
I too would love to switch from Tidal to Apple Music, not least for the fact that it’s cheaper. Trouble is Apple Music is a mess. Add a song to the library and it also shows up as an album and also adds the artist to my artist library, why Apple? I search for the Beatles and no albums are listed on the artist page, at least not on the iOS music app. Only one other music player app i can find (at present) can play the Apple Music files, not glider, not mconnect, and of course it can’t search the Apple Music library. I play an album stated as being Apple Digital Master using the camera connect kit and usb from my iPhone into my Mojo or Hugo and it shows up as ‘red’ ie not high res. Same when using a MacBook and usb-c. Yes I know tidal does the same but I always presumed this was down to the lack of support for MQA.
If you can live with all that and you download your music library to your iPhone only to discover it gets deleted if you switch your media and purchases ID to a different account.
Having said all that though, Apple lossless does sound pretty good but like in my school reports it could do so much better.
Ok I may have been a tad bit premature about the Apple digital master format, some files claiming to be using this format do indeed show up as Hi-res on my mojo. So that’s good, right? Now all we need is an AirPlay 3

Jun 13, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #16,241 of 18,865
Ok I may have been a tad bit premature about the Apple digital master format, some files claiming to be using this format do indeed show up as Hi-res on my mojo. So that’s good, right? Now all we need is an AirPlay 3
Haha, good luck with that, I don't believe Poly will ever support Airplay 2.....

Jun 13, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #16,242 of 18,865
IIRC there are only 20 million of the 75 million songs that currently are lossless. By the end of the year, there will be 75 million. Apple says "thousands" of their titles are hi res.

This was from the keynote at WWDC.

Jun 13, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #16,244 of 18,865
Then the only way is the good old camera connect kit from iPhone and USB. Even usb-c from the MacBook using an apple dongle and usb into mojo won’t play these hi-res files at anything more than 44/16.
Yes that’s the way I’ve been doing it to try out Apple Music lossless and some of the special audio material. I normally use the Poly as a Roon endpoint which works fabulously, so it would be nice to see Roon somehow incorporate Apple Music in their offering.

Jun 13, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #16,245 of 18,865
Yes that’s the way I’ve been doing it to try out Apple Music lossless and some of the special audio material. I normally use the Poly as a Roon endpoint which works fabulously, so it would be nice to see Roon somehow incorporate Apple Music in their offering.
I’m halfway thru my 3 month Roon trial that came with my poly. I love the multi room feature and I’ve been using the alarm clock extension so the whole house is filled with music in the morning. Just not sure it’s worth the 10 bucks a month subscription price when I can get Apple Music for that which can also do multi room from a mac. If you use the Automator on the mac it will also be your free alarm clock. The only thing missing would be playing hi res audio. I’m not sure why the usb-c port doesn’t support it and since there’s no optical output from the Mac anymore there’s no other option. Tho if I’m being totally honest the jury is still out for me as to whether I can hear a difference between 44/16 and 96/24…or maybe I just need a better dac..

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back