Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Feb 15, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #137 of 6,290
2Yu takes usb input, and can output usb, or optical or coaxial and BNC.
The usb input can come from either 2Go, or an external PC or Mac.

Thanks, yes it sounded too good to be true what I envisioned, I guessed it would.
But there have been rumours of future digital amps that will play directly with HMS without the need for a dac in between.
What about my other wishes?
Also just wishful thinking I guess?

But honestly SQ wise I am quite happy with things as they are.

But it would be nice not to have to connect and disconnect my laptop from its office and photo station home to music player station as now.
Cheers CC

Feb 15, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #138 of 6,290
The ipod touch set up is around £300. With powerbank, adapter, cables. I am evaluating this against the chord option right now.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #139 of 6,290
I have found that there is an app called Neutron player both on android and apple. It lets to make phone/tablet/ipod as upnp renderer. And for example windows qobuz app sees it as output renderer! I can make same setup as @musickid but not roon. I will try it too! @musickid can you post me pm link with what exact ipod you are using or newer. I just need something small and light on software side. Just like yours.

Feb 15, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #140 of 6,290
2Yu takes usb input, and can output usb, or optical or coaxial and BNC.
The usb input can come from either 2Go, or an external PC or Mac.
So the 2yu is a USB to USB converter or a USB to s/pdif converter? Do you know what benefits, it any, are being claimed for the USB to USB signal path? And any idea why you can’t just connect a 2Go straight to a Chord DAC? It has a USB output. £500 to convert USB to USB seems a bit steep!

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #141 of 6,290
It’s both a USB-Spdif converter and a straght USB pass through it seems. Hopefully the Chord team will join the discussion at some point to discuss which output has the best sound etc. I would not think there is much of a reason to convert to spdif from a SQ point of view, but who knows?

Feb 15, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #142 of 6,290
It’s both a USB-Spdif converter and a straght USB pass through it seems. Hopefully the Chord team will join the discussion at some point to discuss which output has the best sound etc. I would not think there is much of a reason to convert to spdif from a SQ point of view, but who knows?
So why do you need the 2Yu if you want to connect the 2Go to a Chord DAC via USB? £500 for a USB to USB connector? What does it do?

Feb 15, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #143 of 6,290
So why do you need the 2Yu if you want to connect the 2Go to a Chord DAC via USB? £500 for a USB to USB connector? What does it do?

In theory you shouldn’t need it, but perhaps Chord have somehow restricted the 2Go so it only works if connected to a Hugo2 or a 2yu. The 2 go would look a bit naff on its own with the micro USB plugs sticking out and these are quite flimsy.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #144 of 6,290

2Yu is a digital to digital converter (DDC), presumably with some internal isolation and reclocking. I don't know how it compares to USB regenerators like the Uptone Audio ISORegen or the SOtM tx-ultra (USB to USB), or how it compares to the Matrix Audio XSPDIF2 (USB to SPDIF), or the AudioWise SDX (USB to dual BNC). These other DDC's do a great job of cleaning up USB, no matter what DAC you connect to (DX from the SDX obviously only goes to Chord DACs right now)

Price is competitive, esp. if it has a very high quality clock and regenerator (TBD). Looking forward to reports on SQ with it in the chain. If there isn't a material lift in SQ comparable to or better than these other products, not sure why Chord is wading into the DDC space (I'm hopeful)

Feb 15, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #145 of 6,290
It looks like 2YU has processing power (2000MIPS) to do digital filter or SRM or maybe Crossfeed just like Hugo 2, but it is not at M Scaler level.

2g0_2yu_front__large_full~2.jpg

Maybe I am wrong, the 4 buttons on 2YU may mean different functions compared to Hugo 2.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #146 of 6,290
So the 2yu is a USB to USB converter or a USB to s/pdif converter? Do you know what benefits, it any, are being claimed for the USB to USB signal path? And any idea why you can’t just connect a 2Go straight to a Chord DAC? It has a USB output. £500 to convert USB to USB seems a bit steep!
Sorry don't know the benefits. Like everyone else I am waiting for Chord to explain the product in a CanJam seminar, and for CanJam attendees to visit the chord stand, ask questions and then post feedback.

[Edited : canjam feedback posts containing any reference to Chord 2Go/2Yu]
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/can...read-february-15-16-2020.925530/post-15469437
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/can...read-february-15-16-2020.925530/post-15469681

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #147 of 6,290
Not that I'm a fan of MQA, but just out of curiosity... Since the 2go will support Tidal, has Hell frozen over and Chord is now going to pay license fees to MQA/Meridian? Or will it just play back MQA files unfolded?

Since there is only one unfold, and TIDAL does it, Chord need do nothing. I don't think they are enthusiastic to use short filters that smear the music timing, the total opposite of what they do in their DACs.

Feb 16, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #148 of 6,290
Feb 16, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #149 of 6,290
Kind of back to the future feeling when I found this:

from 2017: https://darko.audio/2017/09/top-of-the-pops-chord-electronics-outstanding-hugo-2/

Seems there is a lot of careful planning at Chord end :)
Not so much the planning, but rather the unexpected scale of the software development that was necessary to first mature the Poly firmware, and the GoFigure app for iOS and Android.
The 2Go case looks essentially mature at CES 2018.
However quite a few Poly owners posted not to rush out the release/shipping of the 2Go, until the firmware/apps were more mature.
Chord listened and delayed the release, until the Poly platform (apps and firmware) were mature and performing well 'in the wild', so I expect the 2Go should also work well from day 1. :)

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #150 of 6,290
I am on the fence on this...I only use my H2 in desktop mode to preserve the battery and don't see myself wanting to change this- especially being someone who is happy with the Poly.

Yes, H2 sound is quite a bit better than Mojo's but I am still not convinced what benefits 2Go will add to my setup.
Perhaps because I see H2 as a desktop-type device, rather than as a "transportable" product. I also want to know exactly how 2Go is better than Poly, considering the fact that Chord (or the the third party company they outsourced Poly development to) has had a lot more space to play with versus the Poly.

Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back