Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Feb 17, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #151 of 6,290
I am on the fence on this...I only use my H2 in desktop mode to preserve the battery and don't see myself wanting to change this- especially being someone who is happy with the Poly.

Yes, H2 sound is quite a bit better than Mojo's but I am still not convinced what benefits 2Go will add to my setup.
Perhaps because I see H2 as a desktop-type device, rather than as a "transportable" product. I also want to know exactly how 2Go is better than Poly, considering the fact that Chord (or the the third party company they outsourced Poly development to) has had a lot more space to play with versus the Poly.

Thoughts?
It would appear that desktop mode would be unaffected by 2go as the charging will pass through. For your usage they would be locked together as one unit. Have you tried using the Poly with the H2 with a couple of female to male microUSB cables?

Feb 17, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #152 of 6,290
It would appear that desktop mode would be unaffected by 2go as the charging will pass through. For your usage they would be locked together as one unit. Have you tried using the Poly with the H2 with a couple of female to male microUSB cables?

Nope- never tried connecting my Poly to H2;
The question still stands- what would 2Go add to H2 when I use H2 in a static position connected to power and sitting on top of my PC?

The only benefit of doing this would be being able to listen to H2, while my PC is switched off.

Feb 17, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #153 of 6,290
Nope- never tried connecting my Poly to H2;
The question still stands- what would 2Go add to H2 when I use H2 in a static position connected to power and sitting on top of my PC?

The only benefit of doing this would be being able to listen to H2, while my PC is switched off.

Better SQ. Digital source matters.

Feb 17, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #155 of 6,290
Better SQ. Digital source matters.

Compred to? I currently use:
H2->PC via optical+Roon

I will definitely go audition H2/2Go next month and decide whether to buy or not based on some proper hands on.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #157 of 6,290
I’ve kept H2 in desktop mode to preserve the battery.
I stopped using it as portable when 2Go was first announced as I’ve been waiting to use it with 2Go.

As the release was delayed, I’ve considered various DAPs—my interest is SD card.
I’ve always asked myself if anything would provide the sound quality of H2.

this kept me from making a purchase and waiting for 2Go release.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #158 of 6,290
IME a dedicated network streamer will always have better SQ than a PC.

I would lose the ability to play back local content on my PC via the Hugo 2. I guess I could also output to my whole-home Sonos system via 2Go but I can easily do that via Roon anyway.

I would be sold on the spot if 2Go can turn Hugo 2 into a Roon server though.

Feb 17, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #159 of 6,290
I’ve kept H2 in desktop mode to preserve the battery.
I stopped using it as portable when 2Go was first announced as I’ve been waiting to use it with 2Go.

I considered that too but I don’t see myself taking H2/2Go out on the road when I have a far more portable solution in Mojo/Poly.

Feb 17, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #160 of 6,290
I would lose the ability to play back local content on my PC via the Hugo 2. I guess I could also output to my whole-home Sonos system via 2Go but I can easily do that via Roon anyway.

I would be sold on the spot if 2Go can turn Hugo 2 into a Roon server though.

I don't think you want 2Go to act as a Roon core. A major pro to that setup is having the noisy core separated from the endpoint. Let the endpoint do as little work as possible.

Feb 17, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #162 of 6,290
Then why even consider the 2Go? There are far cheaper network streamer options.

I quite like the concept of buying from the same manufacturer.
I am not really a potential target for Chord's desktop type solutions due to the far bigger room required for them but I am certainly a fan of their mobile range.

It would be great if they come up with a more compact version of the Mscaler!

Feb 17, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #163 of 6,290
So why do you need the 2Yu if you want to connect the 2Go to a Chord DAC via USB? £500 for a USB to USB connector? What does it do?
The owners of the Chord blue mkII will be glad with the 2Yu.

Feb 17, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #164 of 6,290
It really doesn't make any sense for desktop, especially when you have excellent sounding/preforming RPi based solutions for much, much cheaper. If you're out and about with the Hugo2 a decent amount I think it might make sense, but then you could just get a decent DAP with SPDIF out.
The decent DAP with optical output also makes sense for desktop. My trusty old AK100ii also has the advantage of a screen with a good interface. No need for any controller software via mobile device or PC.
I run minimserver from a synology NAS and the AK handles this very well. Would the 2go be as easy to operate?

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #165 of 6,290
Compred to? I currently use:
H2->PC via optical+Roon

I will definitely go audition H2/2Go next month and decide whether to buy or not based on some proper hands on.

if you are using optical out of your PC, then I wouldn’t expect to get better SQ out of 2Go. Is your PC where your Roon core is? 2Go would essentially turn your H2 into the same setup and use cases as your Mojo/Poly. So, adding portability (and Ethernet streaming, if you could use that). You might first consider investing in a separate Roon core (like a NUC running ROCK), at which point you would also need some sort of streamer to get music to the H2 if you didn’t want to connect the new Core directly to the H2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back