Choosing some "nice" cans under $100.
Mar 19, 2013 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

d3njiR1

New Head-Fier
I would like to buy a nice (at least as nice as you can get <$100) set of cans. I don't really care whether in-ear or over-ear. I mainly listen to instrumental/classical music (ex. ThePianoGuys, Beethoven, Mahler). Right now I am using a pair of Apple earbuds (ick) and I am really getting tired of them. I would prefer not to have to use an amp, but if necessary I wouldn't mind building something like a cMoy, as I do enjoy that sort of electronics. Any suggestions? Thanks for any and all help!

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 11
Mar 19, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #3 of 11
Sorry, I guess I did the typical noob thing :frowning2: posting without thoroughly researching.
IEM or on-ear I don't have much of a preference there. I like a well presented, crisp treble and I prefer not to have the bass overpowering, but I don't mind a little extra as long as it doesn't get muddy or soft and I prefer the higher notes to be a bit more subdued. Thanks for the fast response! I am reading the threads linked now.

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #4 of 11
Clear, crisp treble (but subdued/non-fatiguing), balanced out bass, <$100 - does sound like the A161p, treble is smoothed out and not fatiguing, definitely not completely recessed though. Or the PFE012 but those are getting discontinued by the end of the month. 

On-ear-wise, perhaps the S500 but might have a tad too much treble? Can't remember the sound too well. Perhaps someone who owns them can chime in?

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 11
Looked up a few reviews of the S500, I think I'll go with them. For $60 (with shipping) I've read they're pretty nice. This is really my first pair of "actual" headphones. Any suggestions about burn in or anything else I need to know? Thanks a lot for the time and effort you've put into helping me! (even though I posted in the wrong place)

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 11
Try the pad mods. The pair I tried was completely stock, and treble wasn't as smooth as I liked. But people on the thread seem to suggest otherwise with all the mods available. Apart from that they were quite good. Burn-in skeptic so will refrain from commenting.

Hope you enjoy them!

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #8 of 11
i put 518 pads on my s400. comparing the 400 oem pads to the 518, the 518 pads are more full with cushioning and are softer imo. for me i think it gives a better bass extention and makes it more full/boomier. highs arent as sparkly but enough for me to make a difference. mids was sort of the same, couldnt really tell any difference. the $8 is worth it for the 518 pads.

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #9 of 11
Just ordered the S500s from Amazon! Excited! but annoyed. It says the estimated delivery is April 19 - May 10 
frown.gif
Oh well, I guess ordering from Japan takes a while... I have an iPod Nano. Should I just use the 3.5mm port on it, or get one of those 30-pin connector to 1/8" things? brand?

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
Just ordered the S500s from Amazon! Excited! but annoyed. It says the estimated delivery is April 19 - May 10 
frown.gif
Oh well, I guess ordering from Japan takes a while... I have an iPod Nano. Should I just use the 3.5mm port on it, or get one of those 30-pin connector to 1/8" things? brand?

fiio L9 will do the job.
also, get the AT pleather pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back