Choosing my first tube amp
Apr 27, 2008 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ephrank

100+ Head-Fier
Hi people,

I'm thinking about getting into tube amp as people are saying that K701 and HD600, which is on top of my to buy list, work well with tube amps. After reading the reviews on head-fi, I am quite interested in Darkvoice as they are full dual-mono for a reasonable price. Is Darkvoice 332 a good choice at its price range (US$400 - 500)? Thanks!

Apr 27, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 19
With the HD600s, you won't get a better tube amp under $1000 than the DV332. With the K701s it's a different matter: because of their lower impedances they can sound a tad harsh, but they by no means sound terrible.

Apr 28, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #3 of 19
AKG701 owner here, Im thinking about getting a Cayin HA-1A tube amp.
Based on my reading 332 works pretty well with akg701. I will try it when I get back to China

Apr 28, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 19
The 701's are lowish impedance and low sensitivity. You can kill two birds with one stone and use a Triode Amp. The Woo Audio WA6 is worth investigating.

Apr 28, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Woo Audio WA6 is worth investigating.

x2

Apr 28, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #6 of 19
Get a 6 and ask them to do a pseudo dual power supply. You will never need to look back.

Apr 28, 2008 at 9:12 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a 6 and ask them to do a pseudo dual power supply. You will never need to look back.

What is this pseudo dual power supply? Have you had this done?

Apr 28, 2008 at 9:26 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Godkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the HD600s, you won't get a better tube amp under $1000 than the DV332. With the K701s it's a different matter: because of their lower impedances they can sound a tad harsh, but they by no means sound terrible.

Have you compared the darkvoice to the Singlepower Extreme and PPX3-slam? They both sound very good with the Senns and K-701. Both new run under $1000.00.

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #9 of 19
Hi guys,

Thank you for the suggestions! I haven't had a look at Woo's until now. They certainly looks beautiful and built with great craftsmanship. Impressive stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

I am aware that Woo 6 is a TC amp and, AFAIK, all Darkvoice are OTL amps. My very limited knowledge of tube amps tells me that TC amps usually sound more "tube like" than OTL amps. Although I've never listened to any kind of tube amp before, I infer that TC amps may sound too colorized. Also, I have read that high quality TC amps use expensive output transformers, which are one of the most expensive components in an amplifier. I assume that for the same amount of dollars, and within my budget of US$500, OTL amps should sounds a bit better (Please correct me if I'm wrong). Therefore, right now I'm more interested in buying an OTL amp, which brings me to the following choices:

- Darkvoice 332
- Woo Audio 3+

If I stretch my budget to around US$1000 I can get one of these:
- Darkvoice 337
- Woo Audio 2,
- Singlepower Extreme

Sadly, it is quite impossible to find any aforementioned amps for audition in Sydney. If you've listened to Darkvoice, Singlepower and Woo Audio amps, please share your experience here. Thanks again.

Apr 29, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #11 of 19
Don't overlook the ASL amp that's in my signature. Very warm and engaging presentation in OTL, but you can also tighten up the bottom end a bit and gain a little more control in Transformer.

Apr 29, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #12 of 19
Don't forget the MAD Ear+ HD. Get an RCA, Sylvania or Raytehon 5751 TMBP and you have a lovely sounding no frills amp that will drive my K-701s easily.

Apr 29, 2008 at 9:55 AM Post #13 of 19
I've used both the Woo 3+ and the Woo 6 and the WA3+ is not a good match with the 701's; the bass is VERY flabby.

The WA6 has a great sound but it is very source dependent. I used mine with an iMod and the low output voltage of the iMod (only 1 volt ish) combined with the low sensitivity of the 701's made for a very quiet combination. I just couldn't get the volume I wanted out of that combo, especially with music recorded at a lower level.

Jack at Woo Audio can increase the gain on the WA6 to make it more compatable with the 701, but in its stock form I was a little frustrated by the gain settings.

I'm currently use a pink floyd modded X-can v3 with my 701's (HD650's on the way) and have been very pleased with the results. The X-can is a hybrid amp and I think offers some of the best of both worlds (SS and tube).

Next on my list to try is the RSA Raptor, but for now, the X-can has been the best amp I've found for the 701's.

Apr 29, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ephrank /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys,

Thank you for the suggestions! I haven't had a look at Woo's until now. They certainly looks beautiful and built with great craftsmanship. Impressive stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

I am aware that Woo 6 is a TC amp and, AFAIK, all Darkvoice are OTL amps. My very limited knowledge of tube amps tells me that TC amps usually sound more "tube like" than OTL amps. Although I've never listened to any kind of tube amp before, I infer that TC amps may sound too colorized. Also, I have read that high quality TC amps use expensive output transformers, which are one of the most expensive components in an amplifier. I assume that for the same amount of dollars, and within my budget of US$500, OTL amps should sounds a bit better (Please correct me if I'm wrong). Therefore, right now I'm more interested in buying an OTL amp, which brings me to the following choices:

- Darkvoice 332
- Woo Audio 3+

If I stretch my budget to around US$1000 I can get one of these:
- Darkvoice 337
- Woo Audio 2,
- Singlepower Extreme

Sadly, it is quite impossible to find any aforementioned amps for audition in Sydney. If you've listened to Darkvoice, Singlepower and Woo Audio amps, please share your experience here. Thanks again.

Another OTL based amp you should give serious consideration to, is the LD MKIVse. It's driver tube rolling compliment is fantastic, allowing you to choose the type and sound of end result you wish to have. It works extremely well with HD-580-600-650 and the K701s. The "se" version has a two year warranty and LD has the best customer service out there.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #15 of 19
Hi guys,

Thank you for all the suggestions
smily_headphones1.gif
I've looked into SP Extreme, Mapletree and Little Dot. The MAD Ear+ HD is very interesting. How well does it perform with K 701s using the stock tubes? I don't find many threads about Ear+ HD. The SP is way over my budget.

I think my plan will be:

- Get a Darkvoice 332 or a LD MK IV SE for now
- Upgrade to Mapletree later
- Get a DV 337 SE early next year in Hong Kong (yes I'll have to pack it up as a hand carry luggage, wish me luck
smily_headphones1.gif
)
- Look into SP next year

Thank again all the great head-fiers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back