Choosing between AKG 701, DT 880, AD900's and AH-D2000's
Sep 13, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #18 of 25
mostly because I'm highly interested in trying headphones outside of sennheiser. The 600's are also 338 dollars (and will also probably need an amp), whereas the dt 880 600 ohm version is 249 dollars and the dt 990 600 ohm is 284. the AD900's are 280.

Also, budget amp solutions for the dt 880 600 ohm version please? Maybe budget amps for the ad900?

I'm thinking about getting the schit asgard for dt 880 600 ohms, then I also need to buy the nuforce uDAC for 100 bucks too, right? I mean I have an X-Fi Xtreme Music, but I'm assuming I'll still need a dedicated DAC.

Sep 15, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #19 of 25
Just to throw another wrench at you, the AKG K601 may be worth considering. Like the K701 it will need an amp, but it shouldn't set you back more than $200 so you'll be able to put more towards one. It's more relaxed than the K701, but it's certainly not excessive in bass (though at times it could perhaps use a little more, a problem many mark with the K701 too), and doesn't have that really "fun" sound you're concerned about (I used a Sennheiser HD497 for quite a while, and I can tell you the the K601 is miles apart even if it does have some colouration still compared to the likes of the K701).

Sep 15, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #20 of 25
a couple weeks back i bought myself a set of Denons D2000s and they are the best sounding headphones I've heard yet.  I'm using them hooked directly to my Essence STX soundcard, for gaming, music and movies and they're perfect for me.  There's enough bass when Im listening to hiphop that I can feel them moving on the side of my head and it doesnt interfear with the highs or mids at all.  no matter how loud I've taken them, every sound remains seperate and clear.  then I can turn on the GnR or AC/DC they sound equally as incredible, I've listend to GnR tunes literally thousands of times and I've heard new sounds with these things, I've heard the fingers sliding across the cords in Patience even, dam things gave me chills haha.   Playing games they are sweet as well, I play every kind of game, FPS  RTS, ThirdPartys, racers, whatever and for a closed set of cans I was surprised that they offered great positional audio as well. again, every sound stays seperated and clear, but still has enough thump.   I dont think you'd be disappointed with them at all, ecspecially If you can get them for that price, but thats jus my 2cents.

slu

Jun 3, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchiselleh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, budget amp solutions for the dt 880 600 ohm version please? Maybe budget amps for the ad900?

I'm thinking about getting the schit asgard for dt 880 600 ohms, then I also need to buy the nuforce uDAC for 100 bucks too, right? I mean I have an X-Fi Xtreme Music, but I'm assuming I'll still need a dedicated DAC.

Do not get the NuForce uDAC2, it would not be an improvement if your card is not noisy, and there are better alternatives if you want an external DAC. For a reasonably priced amplifier that can drive most headphones, I would recommend the O2 (~$150); the FiiO E9 is cheaper, but worse with low impedance headphones and IEMs.

Jul 2, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #24 of 25
stop comparing beyerdynamics dt 880 pro,akg k701 as the audio technica won the 2011 select headphone award.misconception about the ad900 will sound good w/o amp but it will sound better with the right amp

Jul 2, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #25 of 25
phileguy & stv014.

Do you two realise your having a "discussion" on a thread that has been dead for almost 2 years?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back