Choosing an amp for Beyerdynamic DT990
Mar 21, 2011 at 8:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

JudoJeff

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I've been a lurker for a while and have enjoyed the information here. I bought my first pair of full size headphones a while ago (M50's) but I am looking to step up my game and get a pair of open back cans. I have been shopping around for a while and keep coming back to the Beyerdynamic dt990 600ohm. That leaves me with finding an amp to pair it up with. I primarily listen to metal (black, death, doom) and some indie rock (hey rosetta!, lone wolf). From browsing the forums I have picked up that most people recommend a tube amp for the beyers. I will be doing all my listening from my computer, will I need a DAC as well? What are some good pairings for the genre and my price range of <$300? Thanks for your suggestions.

p.s I know Grados are better for metal but my friend has a pair of 225's so I am looking to get something different.

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #2 of 9
Hey JudoJeff,

I ordered a Schiit Lyr that I'll take delivery of today - specifically for my DT990/600's. On paper it's extremely well suited for these cans. I practice, the amp's designer used these cans to 'tune' the amp. I would think that'll give it awesome synergy. I'll post back some impressions after I've had a chance to listen.

Mike

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #3 of 9
I was just looking at the Valhalla after reading a review on them by Skylab. I really like the design and the company's sense of humor. I am interested in hearing about the Lyr, but if I would have to buy a DAC as well it might be out of my price range. I am new to amps so I'm not quite sure how this works yet.

Mar 21, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #4 of 9
I'm a big believer is 'source first'. A good amp or good cans are noticable, but pushing down to the source has yielded the biggest gains. You'll want a good dac, and you'll want to pay attention to your player. I play from OS X and there's a bunch of good players out there that'll do a great job of streaming your source out to the dac. Then, look for High Res. copies of your music. I'm a big fan of 24/96 vinyl rips done right. use flac or some other lossless format.

High Res music -> audiophile player -> good DAC (24/96) -> well matched amp -> good cans == nice. Just my take.

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #5 of 9
Been listening to my DT990/600's driven by the Lyr, fed via an MSII+ playing SACD and 24/96 flacs. Wow. Dynamic, powerful, smooth, fast, fun and spacious. And that's before either amp or headphones are broken in. :) I like.

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the tip. I listen to the majority of my music in lossless. I am a little scared of the Lyr, since this is my first amp I dont know if I should be messing with that kind of power. Right now I am looking at the Little Dot MKIII or the Schiit Valhalla for amps, and the maverick d1 or the music streamer II like mistertogers mentioned. Any other suggested pairings? 

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 9
Ha! Well, you may decide that another amp is a better fit for you - but I wouldn't be scared of the Lyr. It's power on demand if needed by your cans and the music. What's compelling to me, is the possibility of a single amp providing good to great performance with cans across the spectrum. To me, that alone made the Lyr worth investigating.

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #8 of 9
still the Lyr is out of my price range especially since I will need to buy a DAC as well. So I have pretty much settled on the DT990 600, Schiit Valhalla and MSII DAC. Should be a pretty good rig, now I just need $750. Thanks for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back