Choices.. Denon AH-D5000, AH-D7000 Ultrasone Pro 900...
Jul 19, 2010 at 12:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

OwlAudio

Head-Fier
I've decided to go closed back, after having used Senn HD-580's and Westone UM1 IEM's for the past few years.  Reason is isolation, which is important, and the forward bass that closed back tend to have over open.

I want balanced presentation with perhaps a bit forward bass, as I produce electronic dance music and would like to use these headphones when composing/songwriting.  Getting a feel for the kick drum/bassline without having to raise the volume too much is especially important.

I would like to spend around $500, for a used pair, probably less, maybe a little more.   Any other closed back models I am missing?

One thing that interests me about the ultrasones is their claim that one does not have to play them as loud as other headphones to have equal loudness due to the construction--S logic holes near the back of the ear increasing perceived bass.  But I wonder if this also just because of the smiley face eq curve these phones present?  That scares me a little as I need some accuracy or at least good articulation so that I can know what's going on in all frequencies.  I wonder peoples opinions on this matter.  I have tinnitus so not having to play headphones loud is really important.

AH d7000 seem like a good choice though they are more than I want to spend (but will if they are a big step up from the AH-d5000.)

I have a nice DAC with built in headphone amp (Prism Orpheus) and would like to avoid using a separate amp (I am trying to stay as portable as possible)

Jul 19, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #2 of 9
The D5000 is great. A bit bloated in the bass, but some like that. I found them incredible other than that.
One thing though. Don't expect sound isolation with these. Others around you may not hear your tunes, but you'll be able to hear everything around you very clearly. No real 'closed' isolation.

shane

Jul 19, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #3 of 9
A modded D2000 also springs to mind. HPA even has said that it can compete with the stock D7000 drivers.

Jul 19, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 9
The ultrasones are quite detailed...imo. 
It bring out every detail of your source material, good or bad...and they have a good amount of bass. 

Jul 19, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #5 of 9
I'm considering the same headphones. It seems that to get the most out of them, they both need to be modded. The Markl mod for the Denons is quite a bit more involved than the Kees mod for the Pro 900.

Jul 19, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #6 of 9
For good drum sound I really preferred D7000 to D5000.  The latter lost definition sometimes with intense kick drums (e.g. Heads Up by Death from Above) that sounded more defined with D7000.  D7000 also have punch- so much that some sharp electronic drum tracks (in Trans Am's Red Line) almost hurt at moderate volume and I found myself turning the volume way down.  Wouldn't call their sound 'balanced' tho, they can be a little thin in the mids.  They do well with all the amps I've tried but I tend to use them with certain tubes that emphasize mids to help balance their sound.  Haven't heard the Ultrasones.

Jul 19, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #7 of 9
Before you get a stock d7000 you may want to get an LA2000 lite. There $500 and will give you the sound you describe.

Aug 20, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #9 of 9
Denons are not supposed to be used in the studio.

I would go with the 750... Pro 900 does have a bass boost that is a bit harder to tame with modding. I feel it´s more of an audiophile tweaked headphone then the 750.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back