Choice of AMPs (for HD800)
Oct 21, 2012 at 8:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

atarkovsky

New Head-Fier
Greetings from the cold... :)

Need a little bit of advice. I'm considering acquiring a dedicated amp for my HD800s. Right now, the headphone is connected to my computer using a SAA Endorphin cable & an Asus XONAR Essence STX audio card.

I thought, at first, to get a WooAudio but the customs, delays etc. are a little bit too much.

The choices I have in front of me right now are :

1. Burson Audio HA-160D
2. Musical Fidelity M1 HPA
3. BEYERDYNAMIC A1
4. STAX SRM-323S

What do you think? Any opinions will be very much appreciated.

Cheers!

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #2 of 12
I like the Burson amps, they do well with 90% of the headphones on the market but not HD800 IMO. Not terrible but there are better options.

The Beyer I think is bland - nothing special.

The M1 HPA - same, good but nothing special either.

Haven't heard the STAX.

I'd recommend you take a look at the Lavry D11 - great DAC and amp in one.

Or go for the Violectic 200 - haven't heard it but it's supposed to be great for HD800.

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #3 of 12
Thanks TwoEars,

I will check the two names you mentioned. Problem is... I can't seem to find them available in my country. Need to check for EU availability.

If you, or anybody else, has ideas about amps that can easily be located in the EU - would be of great help.

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #4 of 12
Thanks TwoEars,
If you, or anybody else, has ideas about amps that can easily be located in the EU - would be of great help.
This. It's been re-tuned after the review to keep all sonic advantages while improving some other. Interior is slightly re-arranged as well.

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #6 of 12
You could also buy  my Audio-GD Phoenix that I'm selling - lol.

It's a really nice combo with the HD800 but I've decided to go another more minimalistic way with my headphone setup - basically my "computer corner" where I keep all my headphone gear is cramping up.

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #7 of 12
TwoEars, offer is noted and taken!
smily_headphones1.gif
But I don't want to go balanced.

Looking at the EarStream Sonic Pearl, it does look tasty. But I could only find one review ...

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #9 of 12
Just get the Violectric 200 from Germany - it has a proven track record.

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
I like the Burson amps, they do well with 90% of the headphones on the market but not HD800 IMO. Not terrible but there are better options.

I assume you haven't tried the Soloist? its a totally different amp with the HD800. 
smile_phones.gif

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

I assume you haven't tried the Soloist? its a totally different amp with the HD800. 
smile_phones.gif

You are right!

I was referring to the HA-160 / 160D amp section.

But the new conductor dac/amp looks very promising: Sabre32 chip setup/tuned for analog sound by Burson and soloist amp section - all in one box tuned to work together. Should be a knock-out performer if they don't jinx it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back